Improvement: Map/Tactical Info Ideas - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: click here to spawn in the sanctuary
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-01-10, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Map/Tactical Info Ideas

Ok, so, one thing people (tends to be PS1 vets based on their experience of the map from PS1, from what I can gather) tend to talk about is how the map doesn't give enough information, so you end up doing annoying things like hot dropping into a base your people have already taken, or where enemies have already overrun. Or having no idea where the good fights are and you end up wandering around aimlessly.

Now, I don't have any experience from PS1, so these are my thoughts on improving the map a little to help with that, without giving away too much information and avoid making actual recon ops redundant.

1) Adding a friendly forces estimate next to the enemy one.

So, if you look at a particular area and see "Enemy Platoons Detected", you might also see "Allied Squad Detected" and immediately see that it's probably not a good idea to go there (especially if you also look at the existing info it gives on capture points and the capture bar and see those enemies have already overwhelmed the base). A simple enough change that greatly increases your knowledge of the situation there.

2) Anything that's been Q'd or spotted with someone's radar system appears on the map, regardless of how far away you are.

This would give a lot of information, I just don't know how overwhelming it would be (perhaps only appears if you zoom in all the way), or if this actually already happens to some degree. I know i've seen vehicles on the map that i'm nowhere near, when zoomed right in, I just don't know if it has some sort of range to it.

This would also be good for someone who's specifically outfitted their vehicle with the best radar, so they can act as a scout for their allies and relay information automatically via the map.

3) Radar bases, radar command support.

This would be a two-fold thing. Firstly, outposts on the map specifically related to radar operation. Once captured, the owner of the base gains radar coverage over a certain range of that outpost (nothing massive, just a radius of a hex or two). Secondly, people with a certain command rank would gain a limited (cooldown, short duration, small radius) use radar scan ability if the base is owned to use as they wish (sort of like in some RTSs where you can do a limited scan on the map with a certain structure or unit).

Both the base radar and the command scan could also pick up people with the stealth upgrade, unless they have, say, the third rank or above (more incentive to invest in that upgrade beyond just the first level, as well as not just making such limited radius scans useless via one cheap upgrade).

Note: Another one of these points would have been "making hot spots sit on the action, not the base", but that's in the next patch anyway.

Any thoughts on this, or other ideas, anyone?

Edit: I forgot about an idea I had the other day too. It's somewhat related to this topic so i'll just stick it on the end. It involves making the IFF device for infils more useful, by way of making the darts last longer, and balancing that by making them actual objects that can be interacted with and destroyed (like a spawn beacon, but obviously smaller, with a duration, and, say, half the HP of the beacon).

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-10 at 04:09 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault