1 SC = 1 cert ? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is Alf
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-01, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 1 SC = 1 cert ?

I'd imagine it would be very similar to Planetside over the last few years - mostly populated by lifers with high BR. Except some of them would have no idea what the hell they were doing.

The only recent datapoint I have is BL:R, where twenty bucks would get you all the gear you'd ever want, but you still need to produce on the battlefield to kill anything. PS2's a little different in that there are some pretty big cliffs (rockets, for instance), but that's a day's worth of dedicated play in the current beta model. Is buying a day off of your time commitment a huge advantage?

I don't have answers to these questions - we're in relatively new ground here.
Old 2012-11-01, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I'd imagine it would be very similar to Planetside over the last few years - mostly populated by lifers with high BR. Except some of them would have no idea what the hell they were doing.

The only recent datapoint I have is BL:R, where twenty bucks would get you all the gear you'd ever want, but you still need to produce on the battlefield to kill anything. PS2's a little different in that there are some pretty big cliffs (rockets, for instance), but that's a day's worth of dedicated play in the current beta model. Is buying a day off of your time commitment a huge advantage?

I don't have answers to these questions - we're in relatively new ground here.
Been a free to play game most of the population will infact be new players trialling the game and likely most not sticking around, not due to the games lack of quality or anything, but thats F2P, it has a high turnover of players with obviously some dedicated ones, the idea is to get heaps of people playing and trailing the game with it been F2P and afew may stick around.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-11-01, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm not even sure they know the values for SC yet.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-01, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm not even sure they know the values for SC yet.
I think they do, if you like at the values they're all like 420000, take away 3 zeros and you have an acceptable and reasonable cost for a gun. You people on your imperial system may not have seen this, but I have.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-11-01, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Yea, even so i still dont think id be for it, at the point where you can simply pay to unlock everything, then whats the point of playing? the game then does just simply look like a dash for cash and if they did let you buy certs to me the game would just feel cheap and nasty and it would probably not be a game i would want to continue playing.

I'd say I would support cert purchases (you already will be able to buy weapons, which cost certs) because they are a good source of revenue (which is absolutely necessary) without offering overpowered weaponry that only cash can buy. I do struggle with what you said, because, I don't play this game to unlock things. I play this game to have fun through ownage and teamwork. Do I enjoy unlocking things? Absolutely, but that's not why I play. Not saying that is specifically why you play either, but you made it sound like that. At the end of the day, would a game where everyone is on completely even ground and only had certs they "earn" (I always say "earned" because boosters affect this too) be best? Probably, but the reality is the game needs to earn money to recoup costs and to continue to develop. Does it bother me that players will dump cash to buy unlocks early? No. Especially when it means avoiding having to offer "cash only" items because skins and window stickers simply won't be enough.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-11-01, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

The confusion over buying certs comes from the removal of Auraxium, basically anything you could buy with Auraxium before can still be bought with SC, so essentially weapons. If they were to make all certs purchasable with SC that would be way too far down the Pay2win road for my liking, and I think I would walk away from this game at that point regardless of how good the rest of it turns out to be.

As to the value of station cash, yes I find it very bizarre purchasing something when you have no idea of it's value. SOE should at least put out some rough guidelines or samples and their costs.

Last edited by Helwyr; 2012-11-01 at 10:04 PM.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I'd say I would support cert purchases (you already will be able to buy weapons, which cost certs) because they are a good source of revenue (which is absolutely necessary) without offering overpowered weaponry that only cash can buy. I do struggle with what you said, because, I don't play this game to unlock things. I play this game to have fun through ownage and teamwork. Do I enjoy unlocking things? Absolutely, but that's not why I play. Not saying that is specifically why you play either, but you made it sound like that. At the end of the day, would a game where everyone is on completely even ground and only had certs they "earn" (I always say "earned" because boosters affect this too) be best? Probably, but the reality is the game needs to earn money to recoup costs and to continue to develop. Does it bother me that players will dump cash to buy unlocks early? No. Especially when it means avoiding having to offer "cash only" items because skins and window stickers simply won't be enough.
It did sound abit like that i only play for unlocks, but obviously this isnt the case. I had thought that there maybe some form of acquiring certs through SC, i certainly wouldnt put it past SOE, but i still think essentially just been able to buy everything does still make the game feel"cheap" for lack of a better word.

I know you're familiar with world of tanks, obviously they have the convert EXP button to free XP button, where they make an insane amount of cash from, while this is still a very aggressive payment model you are at least still earning that XP. If they can do something similar in Planetside 2. eg: convert ernt XP(or score...) to Certs at the cost of station cash i see it as a better alternative. Atleast the players then not paying for this service would still feel that those players have infact in some way earned the attachments etc.

Iv been playing MMO games for along time, one thing i have noticed in that time is you need a carrot or a goal to keep people playing these days, few people will continue playing games because they like the combat, people want to feel like they have accomplished something and they're competing for something. when others players can simply unlock everything i think some people will feel "cheated" out of that.

Obviously there's no problem with everybody been on even ground, but with no real individual goal, do you really believe players will stick around and PvP all day and all night? I suggest you look at guild wars 2 for the answer.

SKYeXile TRF - GM

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-11-01 at 10:26 PM.
Old 2012-11-02, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Sifer2
Major

Well just to say one thing. It's WAY too late to be complaining about Pay 2 Win now. Like a year too late. I was in the camp against the game being Free 2 Play I thought it should be like Guild Wars 2 more of a Buy once an done thing.

But most were happy with it an singing F2P's praises for all the people it might bring to the game. So I learn to live with it an will indeed be stocking up on SC this weekend. I figure between this an Alpha Squad I will spend about 60 dollars on the game as if I bought it at the standard game price. And if I can't indeed immediately load myself out with tons of nice gear i'll feel ripped off. Pay 2 Win? Maybe but like I said time to complain of that has passed.

I do agree that I hope they don't allow buying of certs out right. Since it will be nice to have some things that can't just be bought. It would be stupid if you could just buy your way to CR5 for example.
Old 2012-11-02, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Not having ways to test out what you are buying with real money is very bad. If you get one of these weapons and it flat out sux, (and many do currently and still will after launch) then you will not be wanting to spend money again blindly being very burn shy. Not only that, but it could just turn you off to the game entirely. Honestly this problem will put a decent dent in their profits. Its just another thing that should be in for launch but the massively rushed release date just wont allow that.

Just like PS1, this game is very badly managed and its what will hurt it the most rather than even the many many many bad design issues.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-11-02, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Not having ways to test out what you are buying with real money is very bad. If you get one of these weapons and it flat out sux, (and many do currently and still will after launch) then you will not be wanting to spend money again blindly being very burn shy. Not only that, but it could just turn you off to the game entirely. Honestly this problem will put a decent dent in their profits. Its just another thing that should be in for launch but the massively rushed release date just wont allow that.

Just like PS1, this game is very badly managed and its what will hurt it the most rather than even the many many many bad design issues.
We need gun rentals maybe A tenth of the normal cost for 1 day of play?
But yes a VR firing range cant come quick enough!

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2012-11-02 at 02:23 AM.
Old 2012-11-02, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The possibility of buying certs for SC has been on the table for a long, long time. There are mixed opinions about it, mostly those who would never spend a dime on the game oppose it vs. those willing to invest. Either way, yes, it would unlock certs for you earlier than those who "earn" them, but you're not going to have anything available to you that anyone else could not have eventually anyways, so why not let SOE get the money? The game has to be paid for some way and cosmetics alone won't do it.
You are wrong, I have had every intention of investing in PS2 but I will refuse if this game becomes p2w.
Old 2012-11-02, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
McFeeble
Private

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
Possible. The more expensive items will likely be cosmetic anyways.
Yeah this is what I think too, but I have to look like a zebra
Old 2012-11-02, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

1 to 1 would mean about 5 dollars for the shotgun. Sounds acceptable.
Old 2012-11-02, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
You are wrong, I have had every intention of investing in PS2 but I will refuse if this game becomes p2w.
There is nothing currently in the store that suggests the game will be pay to win. Unless they make OP weapons that are SC only.. or cert advancement that is SC only.. then there really is no P2W available. All they offer now is shortcuts for people to bypass having to feel like they are grinding or jumping through hoops to get the weapons/skills they need to play their class effectively.

No real difference here than EA/DICE offering weapon packs that unlock specific weapon sets for classes. The people that bought those packs don't have any significant advantage over anyone else.
Old 2012-11-02, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rat
First Sergeant

I will likely spend cash on some wep unlocks and possibly the membership, but I do hope that Cert points can not be purchased outright, like what was said earlier many people need a carrot to continue.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion