What I imagined with regards to tunnels and spawnrooms and generators... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Screw Ask Jeeves, Ask Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-06, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Whiteagle
Major

Re: What I imagined with regards to tunnels and spawnrooms and generators...

I keep throwing my money at the Screen, but nothing is happening!

...Seriously, why don't they hire you man?

Now, where do we put the Shield of Interference generator?

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
One of my gripes with the current Amp Station is that the walls are just too big and as a result defending the base is never done (edit) from the walls, certainly not in strength, so it's difficult to tell but I hope this base is smaller horizontally if not vertically.
Well the Bridges would help with that... one of the most annoying things about the walls right now is how you need to go to a tower to get up to them.

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
^ It also drains the base's NTUs.
Working on that, need to do my write up on making Resources an Individual BASE asset instead of a Player one.

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
for the unsuspecting: ntu was the energylevel of the base. every base had a battery which had to be manually loaded by someone with a special vehicle, who had to fill the vehicles battery at a warpgate and return it to the base silo, to transfer the energy (ntu). draining all ntu from a base would also shut down the whole base including spawns and terminals, and switch the base to neutral immediately, rendering it vulnerable to a hack (capture) no matter if it had a lattice link.
this was another way of breaking a stalemate. the defenders would have to do a massive organised move to refill the silo during a battle, facing camping enemies in vehicles and minefields around the silo.

this was taken out in ps2 because the devs thought having to fill up empty bases where no battle is going on would be too boring. but considering that people seem to enjoy doing boring backyard destroying of gens and turrets all the time, thislegit way to earn xp would be welcome.
Yeah, my thinking right now is that Resources are three different flavors of NTU, they are normally distributed by a Pipeline (IE the Lattice) to each Bases' Silos, and ANTs now have the ability to drain NTU as well as collect "residual" Resources at various shutoff valves during the Resource ticks.

Bases then use all three Resource NTUs to slowly repair themselves over time.

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
This layout also effectively eliminates spawn camping by the use of nearby SCUs. In the event the spawns are camped the SCUs can be blown and end the majority of the fight while still allowing for a short term defense of the relatively remote CC.
Indeed, this is how I would have done SCUs; a Gen right next to the Spawns to shut them down.

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
As far as downsides go, I'm not seeing much that looks like it would be conducive to CY fights, which is a shame. Of course, that could just be a lack of cover that I see on the design. It appears that the assaulting force would be going right into the tunnels once they've taken the walls. Again, that may be due to the design's scale.
Well with entryways that are much better sealed against Vehicles and Generators located in choke points, we'd see more Infantry Combat leading up to a shield drop, possibly even making outright Foot Zerging the Control Console a viable alternate stratagem.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
@Bpostal: I have been pondering on creating ES shields to block some entrances on ground level which infils could hack open from the inside or perhaps by hacking the CC. That would force the enemy to not immediately enter the tunnels.
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i would go with hackable shields that almost work like the doors in ps1.
Damn it guys, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
Alright, instead of making Infiltrators go inside, each of these ES shield doors would have a Star Wars style control panel next to it.
You could either outright destroy it (I'm thinking three pistol clips?) or have a friendly Infiltrator hack it to flip control.

Now you can go IN, but the Defenders can't get OUT.

Last edited by Whiteagle; 2013-06-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Hackable. Mother. F'ing. Shields.
Fuck yes! Now it's like (but still dissimilar) to sitting in an Amp station you're trying to take when one of the shields come back up. You're stuck inside! Now imagine this with no AMS. Muhahahahahahahahahaha!

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-06, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Figment
Lieutenant General

Defenders should always be able to get out where the many suns shine.

Besides, rats must be able to abandone the shi... I mean we should be able to go around outside and attack the CC to resecure it.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Whiteagle
Major

Defenders should always be able to get out where the many suns shine.

Besides, rats must be able to abandone the shi... I mean we should be able to go around outside and attack the CC to resecure it.
And they still would be, they'd just have to go around and come in from a vector not covered by a shield door, like say the roofs?
Old 2013-06-06, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

+1. I support these changes. Just make sure to keep the current tunnel network for added defensibility and and in the color stripes a user made a couple weeks ago.
Old 2013-06-07, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

@ Carbon: I presume that is a schematic to indicate splits in exits from spawns?

It is a bit hard to read, tbh.

Anyway, if you don't mind, I would like to keep this topic for flows of the bigger, more complex facilities opposed to outposts.
No worries - wasn't an intent to hijack like mentioned. Back on topic:

I like every layer and reckon that the skywalks could prove particularly interesting both on a defensive and offensive level. Some reason I'm thinking of chasing Alec Trevelyan across Cradle Hackable shield doors feel like they'd make more sense than solid doors for certain. Most importantly design/mentality wise theres the chance to re-secure rather than the attitude of "we've been over run, we'll just piss off and go elsewhere" there's a fighting chance to take it back.

Interested to see your ideas and thoughts for the Bio lab / Tech plants. I put a few ideas out before but to my untrained eye on the Tech Plants I think they can't be as cut and paste as maybe the amp stations can be, mainly as the outlying perimeter bases are the "walls" (albeit not really connected); as far as the main structure itself goes though they could have the uniformed designs that I'd love to see implemented.
Old 2013-06-07, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Figment
Lieutenant General

Already got a couple topics on how to redo the Bio Labs really. >.> But I'd basically lower the dome a good number of meters, connect the air pads to the walls and use the legs as ramps (with protective cover) to a level overlooking the courtyard. I'd remove the teleporters and make the central collumn more pivotal.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=52204

Note that with the current design, only minor changes in flow occured since then.

Haven't addressed the tech plant yet.
Old 2013-06-09, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Ghodere
Corporal

There are a lot of changes here, with many more options for assault than currently exist; personally I can't comprehend what the net effect would be and which routes would be most commonly taken, but I can't imagine that changes in this vein wouldn't do more good than harm.
Old 2013-06-09, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

OMG Catwalks!!!!!! Love it very PS1 like. I can't see why a design like this can't be used. In my opinion bases should not all be carbon copies. So some bases can stay the way they are and some could use this redesign.

Old 2013-06-10, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
OMG Catwalks!!!!!! Love it very PS1 like. I can't see why a design like this can't be used. In my opinion bases should not all be carbon copies. So some bases can stay the way they are but most could use this redesign.
fixed it for you

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-11, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Qwan
Captain

So basicly this base design is pretty sturdy, so solid walls around the station say for the vehicle shields. The gens for these shields are outside, this way the attackers should be able blow them and get an ams in the courtyard. From there the attackers will assault the building, working there way indoors to the internal gen, which powers bay shields and doors, and wall turrets, and pain fields, and scu shields correct. Then on to the spawn room (who's pain fields are down) which is funtioning, and then we blow them thus preventing defenders from spawning in. A familier concept, but I FRIKIN LOVE IT. Now guys there was one hickup to the PS1 base design, when assaulting a base there were only 3 entrances into the base at most, the back door , the main entrance, and the roof entrance on most bases. This is what the Dev's considered a bog point, because the doors could be covered with maxes, pain grenades, and thumpers, causing a lul in a fight. And with the K/D ratio a lot of gamers are gonna be scared to rush in, there K/D ratio might drop, me I can careless, its all about getting the job done, so charging in and taking some NC or TR out is what Im all about. I suggest widening hallways, and putting boxes, and equipment in them giving attacker and defenders cover.
Old 2013-06-11, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Excellent work Figment; very much like what I see.

One question though : "Killing a SCU would drop the shields, but not the painfield."

Why not the pain field as well? I like the idea of rushing a spawn and clearing it out once the SCU has been blown.
Old 2013-06-11, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
Excellent work Figment; very much like what I see.

One question though : "Killing a SCU would drop the shields, but not the painfield."

Why not the pain field as well? I like the idea of rushing a spawn and clearing it out once the SCU has been blown.
Because who ever is in there is already outnumbered. It's their last stand in their base. They have nowhere left to hide and once down, it's over. There is no need to expedite the flushing out process.

At most the painfield should weaken a little bit.

More importantly, you don't want enemies to hang around inside the tube area and camp there if the defenders want to try to get the SCU back up.

Look at PS1, the only way to drop the basic painfield is to blow the gen. Before, there wasn't a painfield, you had enemies in MAX suits sitting there constantly preventing repairs to the tubes, which made it much harder for small groups to not only get the tubes back up, but to keep them clear from spawncamping. A lot more spawncamping occured back then.

In fact, I personally wouldn't mind the spawntubes becoming destructible again and the SCU just being the equivalent to "hacking the spawnroom doors open".

A painfield would ensure the tubes are blown and people don't hang around and camp, but also allows room for a spec ops team to try and retake it.
Old 2013-06-11, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Whiteagle
Major

Look at PS1, the only way to drop the basic painfield is to blow the gen. Before, there wasn't a painfield, you had enemies in MAX suits sitting there constantly preventing repairs to the tubes, which made it much harder for small groups to not only get the tubes back up, but to keep them clear from spawncamping. A lot more spawncamping occured back then.

In fact, I personally wouldn't mind the spawntubes becoming destructible again and the SCU just being the equivalent to "hacking the spawnroom doors open".

A painfield would ensure the tubes are blown and people don't hang around and camp, but also allows room for a spec ops team to try and retake it.
Hell if we had Shield Doors, we wouldn't even need an SCU...

OR you could hack it to reverse the pain-field, so you'd force them OUT of the Spawn room!
(...Or, you know, hack the shield doors and lock them in to die slow deaths...)
Old 2013-06-11, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Already got a couple topics on how to redo the Bio Labs really. >.> But I'd basically lower the dome a good number of meters, connect the air pads to the walls and use the legs as ramps (with protective cover) to a level overlooking the courtyard. I'd remove the teleporters and make the central collumn more pivotal.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=52204

Note that with the current design, only minor changes in flow occured since then.

Haven't addressed the tech plant yet.
The main thing that I think players key in on is the layered layouts. It forces a sequential flow for the most part which is what I personally view as the main issue with the current layouts and blatantly shifts the onerous towards the offensive force, instead of the defensive units as the current layout does. That said, the balance between so called "impossible to take meatgrinders" (biolabs) and "Porous piles of shit" (amp stations) is a very difficult balance to strike. In both instances, biolabs and amp stations, the core concept looks bad ass and fun to play in, but when you jam it full of people the fun goes down exponentially.
So...where was I? Yes, flow. Like a woman's time of the month there needs to be a proper flow to every assault. Something that's lacking (a la amp stations) or is a bit restrictive (a la biolabs).

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion