Vehicle disabling - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not read this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want disabling?
No 73 64.04%
Yes, exactly per BF3 3 2.63%
Yes, but no burning 3 2.63%
Yes, but it shouldn't happen until 20-25%, not 50% 24 21.05%
Other yes 9 7.89%
Other (completely different idea) 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-18, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Re: Vehicle disabling

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I'm all for the ability to damage components that will affect a vehicles performance. I don't want this if it will affect game performance due to excessive hitboxes. I think a happy medium is for random systems to be affected when a vehicle gets under a certain threshold. 25% seems more appropriate to me.
I 1-shot ammo racked an IS-3 in my Pershing last night

I'm pretty sure it would just be irritating in PS2. I would support hitboxes for knocking out the treads, but that's about it.

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-04-18, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Look, if you want to play BF3, go play BF 3. Around here, we use jammers, and have unique game play. At least we did.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
What you describe could be achieved with a single health bar. Its just bigger and at a certain point the vehicle becomes disabled and starts on fire. When that happens depends on how big the 'disabled' health bar is vs the normal health bar. Just stitch them together.

You seem to dislike having a false sense of health where you see a health bar and it's not really the health you have because some of it will mean you are disabled.

That seems reasonable to me to show players exactly how much health before their vehicle will be useless rather than hiding it inside a health bar.

But on the other side of things, its also important to show hostile players exactly how much health is required to blow something up. I assume there will be an advanced targeting implant or something similar that shows health of targets. The opposite is true for blowing something up as being in i - you don't care about disable, you just want to know how close something is to being dead and having two health bars is deciving as to what it might really take to destroy the tank.
The point of having the disable being AFTER the health is entirely gone is to have disabling be complete, not just a few systems performing below optimally. For all intents and purposes, the disabled vehicle would be just as immediately unthreatening as a destroyed vehicle, as far as not being able to move or shoot, etc.

A disabled vehicle should be obviously burning and disabled, while a destroyed vehicle should be burnt out with pieces missing and blown off of it. With no advanced targeting type of thing, it should be pretty obvious visually whether you have just destroyed a vehicle, or merely disabled it.

With something like advanced targeting, you would simply see the new disabled status health bar appear once the enemy vehicle became disabled. You would also be able to use advanced targeting to guess how likely your target was going to be destroyed or disabled by your next shot.

The whole idea is that your regular health bar show you how long you have to live, just like your health bar does as a foot soldier. The only reason I even bring up a health bar for after it is disabled is because I think it would be good if you could still attempt to repair a disabled vehicle and, thus, the enemy should also have a chance to finish it off for good.

Obviously you could also do this with a singular health bar. Perhaps if there was a part of the health bar that was marked in a different color, like yellow instead of green, at which point you would know the vehicle would become completely non operational but not instantly blow up yet. I would only support this if it were 5% to 15% of the total health of the vehicle.

---

Another option would be to have two health bars that are always active, sort of like the armor/health of PS1 or the shield/health of PS2.

The first bar would be armor (which would not regenerate), the second bar would be for the internal systems.

The armor would absorb all damage until it got to say 25%. At 25% or below, the armor would start allowing some damage to seep through and damage the internal systems. The more damage those internal systems took, the less effective the tank would function (firing slower, driving slower, etc), until the tank finally become unable to move or shoot at all once the internal systems reached 50%.

Now the internal systems would START taking damage at 25% armor, but I figure that the armor would only let a tiny fraction of the damage through until it started getting a lot lower, like 10%, so even though you would only have to get the internal systems down to 50% to fully disable the tank, it probably wouldn't happen until the armor was significantly compromised.

The vehicle would be fully destroyed and explode when either the armor OR the internal systems reached zero, whichever came first. In this situation, a vehicle with 50% internal systems or lower would take burn damage, but the damage would only eat away at the internal systems health, doing no additional damage to the armor.

Just some thoughts on how to include an interesting system while improving it to not suck quite so bad.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I want disabling to be tied to locational damage, bfr-style.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
What you describe could be achieved with a single health bar. Its just bigger and at a certain point the vehicle becomes disabled and starts on fire. When that happens depends on how big the 'disabled' health bar is vs the normal health bar. Just stitch them together.

You seem to dislike having a false sense of health where you see a health bar and it's not really the health you have because some of it will mean you are disabled.

That seems reasonable to me to show players exactly how much health before their vehicle will be useless rather than hiding it inside a health bar.

But on the other side of things, its also important to show hostile players exactly how much health is required to blow something up. I assume there will be an advanced targeting implant or something similar that shows health of targets. The opposite is true for blowing something up as being in i - you don't care about disable, you just want to know how close something is to being dead and having two health bars is deciving as to what it might really take to destroy the tank.
I don't think a two-colored health bar would be deceiving. You could have green on one side, red on the other. While in the green you still had control of the vehicle. Once in the red you'd lose control and the vehicle would start to slowly take burn damage, and at 0 it'd explode. Seems pretty straight forward.

EDIT: doh semi-ninja'd by Xyn. Xyn, I'd much rahter have one single two-color bar than have a second one appear once the vehicle got disabled. I think it'd throw ppl off a bit too.

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Planetside used to have vehicle disabling on aircraft (lost control at certain damage) until they changed it to the bailing mechanism.
Before late 2005 ground vehicles used to get disabled too once you reached <10% armour. You'd suddenly lose all control of the vehicles movement and you'd slowly roll to a stop. I think you still had control of your weapons/turrets though.

And it sucked for exactly the reason Malorn mentioned. It was hard to tell on the armour bar at what exact point you'd lose control, so often you'd think you still had a little "life" left when suddenly one stray bullet would cause you to lose control. It felt like the game was almost taunting you since if you had just a tiny bit more health you could've escaped. But once you lost control you were as good as dead since in PS1 a stationary vehicle is a dead vehicle. Losing control just prolonged the agony, largely due to the uncertainly of being able to tell at what point you'd actually get disabled.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-18 at 10:27 AM.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Keep like PS1.Throw a jammer at a Vanguard disable there weapon system.Allow them to move and all but no firing.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RodenyC View Post
Keep like PS1.Throw a jammer at a Vanguard disable there weapon system.Allow them to move and all but no firing.
I'm all for that, but that's not really the topic at hand. This is about whether a tank loses some functionality and/or loses all functionality once they have been damaged a certain amount.

There is no reason you couldn't have a PS1 system where jammers disabled weapons but allowed the vehicle to drive away, while additionally having vehicles stop being able to drive once they took a certain amount of damage.

If they do have disabling, I just hope that it is clearly marked in some way (differen't colored part of the health bar, etc), and that it is only when the vehicle has lost the vast majority of it's health already.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Shouldn't this be in the idea vault?
Old 2012-04-18, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I like the concept of disabling and realistic vehicle damage, but I LOVE all the narrow escapes that came with Planetside's "unrealistic" damage model -- 1% health left and racing over a hilltop and out of harm's way as tank shells and AV rounds whipped past you.

I say keep it the same as Planetside!
Old 2012-04-18, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
I like the concept of disabling and realistic vehicle damage, but I LOVE all the narrow escapes that came with Planetside's "unrealistic" damage model -- 1% health left and racing over a hilltop and out of harm's way as tank shells and AV rounds whipped past you.

I say keep it the same as Planetside!
No reason you couldn't still have that, as long as it was clearly marked on your health bar the exact point at which your vehicle would be compromised.

I'd be fine with it being the same as Planetside though. Either way, just so long as it isn't that you suddenly drive slower at 50% health. That shit is just poorly implemented.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bluecewe
Private

The primary benefit of the disabling system in Battlefield 3 is that it helps to prevent situations where a tank is able to retreat from a battle with extremely low health at an unrealistic speed.

I'd agree though that the percentage at which this effect is applied should be pretty low, otherwise it's too damaging to the concept of retreating.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Terrible idea.
They've already made it so that you can gun a tank as a driver, don't feed them more bad Battlefailed-inspired ideas please.
Originally Posted by Bittermen View Post
Shouldn't this be in the idea vault?
Isn't that for ideas we want? I started this thread to PREVENT disabling. I am concerned, since we haven't seen enough data to confirm that they are or are not considering this, that they might have it because BF3 does.

And SOE, I can tell you a lot of BF players don't like this disabling and don't want it. DICE is catering excessively to infantry players.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Destroyeron
Troll x2

No need for it in PS2.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
DayOne
Captain

I like the idea of your vehicle being disabled at 0% health. It's now useless but can be repaired if you are in the middle of nowhere or don't have the resources for another vehicle.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Heh, yeah maybe my parts of the thread should have been in the idea vault. But then again, I generally post ideas that I really think could be good for the game in there, not just speculation about how a mediocre system from another game could be done better in this one.

I just get tired of the knee jerk reactions people have to certain ideas just because they have been done shitty elsewhere. Just because Battlefield fucked and idea up doesn't make the idea bad, just the implementation.

Just because PS1 had something good going doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, to make something even better.

If everyone throughout history went with the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, we wouldn't have 90% of the technologies that we do today, fewer since almost everything we have is based on prior technological advancements.

If it isn't broken, don't retool it and use the new version without making sure it isn't worse than the old version. Not as catchy, but more accurate.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-04-18 at 11:28 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion