256ram - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Getting us dumped by our girlfreinds since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-08, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sputty
Banned

Heh, it should be able to.
Old 2003-01-08, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

arghh, why can't you see that makes no sense.
Old 2003-01-08, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sputty
Banned

Why does it make no sense? All you said is it can't run at the highest resolutions where only the newest and fastest cards could and then they'd lag. What about other specs? Then you said 800 X 600 and it should be avble to run fine on that. You didnt give the quality of the graphics what it's set at either.
Old 2003-01-08, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Hamma, can you get some info for me on whats the worst graphic card that can run perfectly fine at a low resolution in a very very large battle?
Old 2003-01-08, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
SleightOfHand
Sergeant

New word, Venoxile:

optimization. Pronounced op-tim-is-ay-shun. When applied to a graphics engine it means that it will run on things that all human logic says it shouldn't.

Whoops.
Old 2003-01-08, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
WhiteSun
Sergeant

Originally posted by Validuz
Whoever buys memory is a fool. Their prices are DOUBLE the prices at Pricewatch lists.
LOL. Call me a fool?

We are talking quality parts here, tested and guaranteed. Not some unknown fly-by-night computer parts reseller in CA with not a single employee who speaks English. (which drives me up the farking wall)

Here's an example. This computer is based on a Tyan Tiger MPX mobo. I want to throw some additional memory in it. It uses PC2100 DDR and I prefer registered/ECC. So let's go shopping... www.crucial.com lists the price per 512MB stick at 162.89USD. The most similar part I could find by listing the Crucial spec on Pricewatch was 134USD before shipping. The Crucial price includes free UPS blue. So, I'm really saving about 18USD by buying it from some unknown parts house on the west coast. And you know what? The first time I have a stick fail, that 18USD just paid for itself.

If you just want a monitor, you can buy the 79USD 17" monitor at CompUSA. I'm sure it works, as in turns on and emits light from the glass part on the front. Or you can get a Sony CPD-G220S for 329USD. Which one do you think is better? Which company do you trust more?

Pricewatch works fine if you have a specific manufacturer's part number to search for. If you are just typing in PC2100 512MB and buying the first thing on the list, you are playing with fire.

edit: switched all $s to USD to avoid confusion

Last edited by WhiteSun; 2003-01-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 2003-01-08, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Whats with the quote and the thread that doesn't work.
Old 2003-01-08, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sputty
Banned

Weird the crucial 8500LE costs more money than futureshop's and I'm in Canada..hehe...I don't really understand...
Old 2003-01-08, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Veno if you have a geforce 3 assuming it's a 64 mb one it's going to depend alot on your computer and not just your video card. The same goes with any card but with cards like the ti4600 and the radeon 9700 you shouldn't have any problems running the game without problems in any situation. BTW UT2k3 is more graphically demanding than PS. The only difference is the environments. Those will be what drains your fps.
Old 2003-01-08, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Dragoon412
Corporal

Okay, Blue_zero, I don't mean to be rude, but since you've missed it in the other threads where you've been doling out crappy technical advice, please, just <B>shut up!!!</B>

A GF4 and Radeon 9700 aren't even remotely in the same league. I don't know how to beat it into your head. THEY. ARE. NOT. EVEN. SIMILAR. A GF4 doesn't outperform the Radeon 8500 by a large margin, and it doesn't even hold a candle to the 9700, let alone the 9700 Pro.

A GF4 will choke with a lot of action going on at once, a 9700/P will not. It's that simple. If you want to have your system come to a grinding halt everytime you get more than 20 people on your screen, go nuts. If you wanna keep a nice smooth framerate through massive firefights, get a 9700.
Old 2003-01-08, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
SleightOfHand
Sergeant

The quote was for Hamma.
Old 2003-01-08, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
�io
Lieutenant General

Venoxile the min specs are a GeForce2. I think GeForces 3 and 4 and the Radeon's 9000 and 9700 will do fine, we don't all need to go buy an overpriced VPU.
Old 2003-01-08, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

yeah, you think, but have you ever played it? Do you have any evidence at all thats true? I mean nothings been said but that the minimum requirements for the beta is 512 mb ram 1 gig mhz and a geforce 2.
Couldn't hamma give me some info on this or a dev?
Old 2003-01-08, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Sputty
Banned

The computers that Hamma played on had a 1.7 Ghz(Don't know what type, I'm assuming P4) processor, 1 Gig of RAM, and Geforce 4s and they ran without lag or anyhting without the product being finsihed and they're still optimizing so I;d think a Geforce 3 would work fine.
Old 2003-01-08, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Venox - don't be so difficult, listen, every else one be cool.

Hamma's interview the other day had a part in it where they ask about min graphic cards and what will work. It doesn't sound like you'll believe me if I tell you, but he said that a G3 and above should run it fine. Fine to me means good enough. IF you want uber performance with aa and all kinds a stupid stuff, then buy a 9700pro. Otherwise play at a sane level like the rest of us.

You guys need to calm down. No sense raising pulses over hardwarde.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion