Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Gotta be K/D
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-15, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DaSwede
Contributor
Corporal

BFR's was and continues to be a bad idea, period

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 2012-03-15, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
SgtMAD
Captain

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by roguy View Post
Who would even want to flame him? He's absolutely right that mechs are awesome, the PS1 community thought so too back when they were announced.

I'd love them in the game too if they found a way to NOT make them silly overpowered with a role that overlapped everything in the game.
no, the PS1 community did not think BFRs were "awesome" when they were announced.

SOE has already screwed up tanks,adding BFRs would just guarantee that we would see a flood of driver gunned bfrs instead of tanks.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Kipper
Captain

Cool as they look, it would be silly to overpower them to the point of making them the only thing people want. Epic fights should include infantry, land and air all trying to fight each other.

One way to implement them would be to make an empire specific one that functions alongside the MBT; perhaps make one of the two faster, but weaker. Give one thing, take away another - essentially its a tank, but it just looks different - legs instead of tracks.

I'd could see a legged vehicle being well armoured and well armed, but intolerably slow, only spawnable from certain locations (or maybe 2 hexes inside friendly territory) and unable to ride in any other vehicle - so they take ages to bring to battle (primarily a defensive unit) and they are a sitting duck, but they can deal damage if you can get one up.

Or an alternative - make it jut like an MBT but deployable. Its the same speed and armament, roughly - but has a function to anchor itself and become a turret - whereby its immobile but has more firepower.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
roguy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
no, the PS1 community did not think BFRs were "awesome" when they were announced.
Err yeah, they did. Don't distort history.

Use the search function to dig up threads from before their release sometime in September 04':

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...t=BFR+announce

*EDIT* It's a shame Sony completely deleted the official PS forums at the time, but it's funny how all the smartass told-you-so hermits who went on and on about how they supposedly warned people that it would all go wrong only appeared AFTER the fact.

I thought they were going to rock back then, I was wrong, I've man-ed up to it.
Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Heavy gear were awesome games...

Last edited by roguy; 2012-03-15 at 07:38 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Not this topic again...
This

Dumb topic is dumb

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-03-15, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
UnknownDT
Sergeant

Hey guys what are BFR's? I call myself a veteran of Planetside, but I only played the first 6 months of the game and I talk like I've played it for the entire 8 years.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
SgtMAD
Captain

Err yeah, they did. Don't distort history.

Use the search function to dig up threads from before their release sometime in September 04':

*EDIT* It's a shame Sony completely deleted the official PS forums at the time, but it's funny how all the smartass told-you-so hermits who went on and on about how they supposedly warned people that it would all go wrong only appeared AFTER the fact.

I thought they were going to rock back then, I was wrong, I've man-ed up to it.
Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Heavy gear were awesome games...
you are looking at a forum that is dedicated to fanbois, try and look up the shit that was going down on the SOE PS forums or some of the hundreds of other forums that were active at the time.

I have been active with this crap since open beta and have a pretty goddamn good idea of what happened and when it all transpired.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Who would even want to flame him? He's absolutely right that mechs are awesome, the PS1 community thought so too back when they were announced.

I'd love them in the game too if they found a way to NOT make them silly overpowered with a role that overlapped everything in the game.
Yes, everybody loved them so much they had a mass exodus to other games. That being said, I don't mind the idea of mechs when they are not uber bunny hopping overpowered wtfbbq solo pwn-bots-of-death. They add more to the sci-fi feeling, but it is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too early to think about them for PS2. I can't see BFR's coming back until after the F2P model revenue has peaked and SOE is on a last ditch effort to pull in some late game money. I bet even then, there will be X% of the old PS1 population that will leave PS2 because they exist in the game.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
roguy
Sergeant

you are looking at a forum that is dedicated to fanbois, try and look up the shit that was going down on the SOE PS forums or some of the hundreds of other forums that were active at the time.

I have been active with this crap since open beta and have a pretty goddamn good idea of what happened and when it all transpired.
If it took me 1 minute to find you links backing my argument, so can you (on other forums too if you want). Problem is, you won't find any, so good luck.

And if you're telling me to "look up the shit that was going down on the SOE PS forums", you don't "have a pretty goddamn good idea of what happened and when it all transpired" since the original PS forums were deleted and replaced back in '05 or was it '06? I can't remember, but conveniently enough all your supposed proof has dropped off the face of the earth.

Last edited by roguy; 2012-03-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Perhaps if they were exclusive to Outfits that are able to procure large amounts of resources? They would be quite powerful, but much fewer in number because of their difficulty to obtain. They could be really expensive to the point that even the best outfits would barely be able to afford more than one or two per day.
You're falling into the same trap a few previous posters here did. They want an overpowered vehicle so they try to justify it with "outfit only" and "resources" or "timers" and that's not how you balance a vehicle. It needs to be designed from the ground up to be balanced. This includes taking into account that a tank will always have the highest anti-vehicular weapon and to design the mech around other vehicles like the one person lightning.

It's interesting because there's a large group of people on this forum that don't have a clue how balancing works. Case in point:
Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
If a mech costs the same as 20 tanks and the mech is not as useful as 20 tanks it's wasteful, if it is as useful or more than 20 tanks it's over powered.
So you balance it to be a skilled vehicle. You make it 12 foot tall and give it the armor of two lightnings using component based damage. You start with a flawed assumption as a few people to argue against a strawman. It's an easier argument to make than actually thinking of a balanced vehicle. I could do that with a tank also and say "we can't have tanks. They have to instantly kill soldiers and that's not balanceable in the game" and such a comment would be faulty logic.

I see that lego mech and raise you my own.

That's very subjective. I enjoyed the concept of BFRs. (I play VS so the stylistic design of a humanoid mech irks me, but the idea of them was okay). The only difference when I was playing was I realized they were overpowered and needed balancing. Basically the first thing that bothered me was the necessity to have a timer that's longer than other vehicles. That's one of the most obvious signs the developers made a balancing mistake.

SOE has already screwed up tanks,adding BFRs would just guarantee that we would see a flood of driver gunned bfrs instead of tanks.
If a mech is so cool that everyone wants to gun one then so be it. I'd love if the game was filled with such vehicles. Not something people dread to gun like the PS1 tank. I'm being subjective here. Some people enjoy driving a vehicle and not killing other players as a form of teamwork. Obviously I agree that the reason people should be pulling them shouldn't be because they are overpowered. That's why a balanced design is good from the start.

heh, I've played the game since it was in beta. You're referring to after they were released in their unbalanced form. That bothered most people. Before they were released it was extremely positive. As mentioned don't distort the history of Planetside to make it seem like no one wanted mechs. They just didn't want an unbalanced vehicle plain and simple.

Anyway I'm a huge fan of balanced vehicles that give players a lot of choices during combat so a mech fits that role pretty well. Here's a subjectively balanced design.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I love mechs, ever since I first started watching gundam and robotech as a kid. I almost peed my pants when i first saw the box art for Aftershock. "Mechs? in Planetside? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!" But apparently they turned out to be failures, and accelerated the decline of Planetside(so sad).

But I would still love to see any kind of bipedal walker vehicle, even if it doesn't have the same role as BFRs did before, so I had this idea... what if we brought back the flight variant and only the flight variant of the BFR? Then take away the shields, a large portion of it's armor, and its firepower, but added recon systems, turning it into a scout vehicle.

Let it tag targets, give it a machine gun that can double as AA, and give it jump capabilities so it can get away quickly, and I think it would be a perfect. Anyone ever play 40k? The Imperial Guard race have this vehicle called the Sentinel that they use for reconnaisance, think that, except with jump jets. All the awesome of a bipedal walker, without the OPness of a BFR.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-03-15, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
UnknownDT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
I love mechs, ever since I first started watching gundam and robotech as a kid. I almost peed my pants when i first saw the box art for Aftershock. "Mechs? in Planetside? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!" But apparently they turned out to be failures, and accelerated the decline of Planetside(so sad).

But I would still love to see any kind of bipedal walker vehicle, even if it doesn't have the same role as BFRs did before, so I had this idea... what if we brought back the flight variant and only the flight variant of the BFR? Then take away the shields, a large portion of it's armor, and its firepower, but added recon systems, turning it into a scout vehicle.

Let it tag targets, give it a machine gun that can double as AA, and give it jump capabilities so it can get away quickly, and I think it would be a perfect. Anyone ever play 40k? The Imperial Guard race have this vehicle called the Sentinel that they use for reconnaisance, think that, except with jump jets. All the awesome of a bipedal walker, without the OPness of a BFR.
I'd prefer you just create Real life gundam suits that we can all ride and fight each other with instead of doing it in planetside.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by UnknownDT View Post
I'd prefer you just create Real life gundam suits that we can all ride and fight each other with instead of doing it in planetside.
Ya, give me a heads up when that's actually possible. Until then, I'd like scout BFRs in PS. Much easier to balance then those super bipedal tanks that are either heavily overpowered or excrutiatingly inefficient and underwhelming.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-03-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

A mech that is basically an asymmetrically balanced MBT is great.

Anything more is HORRIBLE!!

-flying - bad
-super defense - bad
-super guns - bad

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2012-03-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Canaris
Contributor
General

this is now my standard response to anything BFR

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion