AGN: Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC CQ 59 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the reason your parents split up
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-11, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Re: Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC C

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I wonder what that means... "Content" is too vague of a term.

Extra types of weapon flshlights and custom nightvision colors is content.
Reduced/removed 3D spotting and reworked lighting model is also content.
The major concerns coming out of the debate over darker nights of late, was that people could turn up their gamma to bypass it, that there wasn't sufficient base lighting, that it wouldn't mechanically effect anything (Q spamming could undo it), that the lighting engine could never make it realistic, and that there weren't enough options for lighting overall.

Community suggestions to fix this were:
  • Make it so that the game does not render what the human eye could not see, thereby making gamma changes worthless (Things would render as black, it wouldn't matter what your monitor settings would be)
  • Add base lights with a generator
  • Reduce the spot range at night
  • overhaul the lighting engine (I don't understand the mechanics here, just relaying what was said)
  • Adding spotlights to vehicles, glow sticks, more realistic flares, Etc.

These suggestions are what I read from the 2 threads that were on the Main forum's General Gameplay sub, Reddit's 2 threads, the thread here, and the thread on the main forum's suggestions thread.

As for my opinion: I'm glad we're getting darker nights at the dusk and dawn portions of the night cycle. I would like if the game took it a step further and made nights overall darker with some of the mechanics mentioned above... I think that could be one of those nice things that could make the game deeper and more enjoyable in the long term. If it's just done by turning the brightness down on the whole map though, that wont work.

Last edited by GeoGnome; 2013-11-11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 2013-11-11, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
dbthedefender
Private

Re: Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC C

Lumifiber is going to look fucking amazing along with neon under harassers and such
Old 2013-11-11, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

I was really happy when I heard it was coming back. Darker nights were eliminated in PS1 and never returned despite feedback. I'm happy that the devs listened this time around.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-11-11, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
OCNSethy
Major

Looks like I'll have to dust off my NV/IR scope again
Old 2013-11-11, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Chewy
Major

I hold my judgement till I see it in live. Maybe the 3 part nights (dark, light, dark) will be good, maybe the darkness will to short to be of use or plan around. I can't tell till I get a few hours in it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion