Stomp on harrassment from the start - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Life jackets are optional.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Stomp on harrassment from the start

Pardon if its the wrong forum but I think its on-topic for PS2.

So I read this article today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18280000

I mean there are terrible disgusting things in there. And its probably only the tip of the iceberg.

And I thought two things:
1. Wow I did not know some females took that much abuse in-game,
2. They should really give PS2 a go when it comes around. They'll see plenty of friendly faces.

But then I had a worrying thought: PS2 will not be totally friendly. This thing will be F2P and will inevitably attract the kind of fools that a monthly sub (for the most part) kept away in PS1. Reporting/banning may not be a deterrent and it may only be that /ignore X is the way to go.
I think this is something that needs to be done correctly from the start though, to make Auraxis an outstanding place to be.

This might all seem a bit sappy to some, but having a daughter has changed me quite a bit these last few years!

Old 2012-06-04, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Atheosim
Captain

Re: Stomp on harrassment from the start

I completely agree that all forms of bigotry are stomach churning more than almost anything else. Seeing it in my communities is unbearable and I dearly hope that the game isn't overrun by trolls and bigots and naive children spouting what they heard their older brother say into his xbox microphone.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

I don't think abusive language is unique to one demographic on online games. There'll be a wordfilter no doubt, and CS reps ingame to report this crap to.

"We're sitting in her living room in Wisconsin, listening to audio recordings she makes when she goes online to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3"

Modern Warfare 3, you play with 13 year old kids who have internet anonymity and expect to have Shakespearean dialogue, for an adult this person is hilariously soft-skinned.

Last edited by 2coolforu; 2012-06-04 at 02:46 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I wonder how many chicks will take up the VOIP in PS2.
Blokes can get a little excited when they hear a chicks voice over the comms and some can go a little overboard.
/ignore will probably work with in game chat and I suppose there will also be an option to mute people in VOIP.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

To be mentioned... she is playing MW3.
I don't think you can find a larger ammount of immaturity in a gaming community. Most mainstream games are like that.

I don't think the "type" of players you normally would find in MW3, is interested in playing PS2. (Also, PC exclusive). It's just too large scale, and "slow-paced" for their needs. I know, i know... i'm relying on stereotypes and generalizations here. But hey...

I believe i'm accurate enough.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

There isn't any situation where you can tell someone they are thin skinned cause they get upset when someone tells them they should be killed and raped.

The world has moved on. Gaming isn't some niche thing anymore, it's a huge ,legitimate, multi billion dollar industry. There are a lot of eyes on video games and video game culture now. It's 2012, the fact you still have to tell guys to settle the fuck down when they hear girls talking on the teamspeak is insane.

TL;DR, it's past time for gamers to grow up.

Last edited by GhettoPrince; 2012-06-04 at 02:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
I wonder how many chicks will take up the VOIP in PS2.
Blokes can get a little excited when they hear a chicks voice over the comms and some can go a little overboard.
/ignore will probably work with in game chat and I suppose there will also be an option to mute people in VOIP.
Maybe if your a pubescent teen, I felt sorry for every girl who spoke on xbox live then had to deal with hordes of hormone driven internet tough guys. We are all adults here, if someone is being a dick then people should just show them the door.

But seriously, it's the internet - I mean, who actually takes the virtual text messages to heart at all. Even when I was eleven and I received ridiculously detailed messages about how someone was going to violate my rotting corpse and my entire family I was mature enough to laugh it off an block them. We need an internet introductory course to teach people this.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Winfernal View Post
To be mentioned... she is playing MW3.
I don't think you can find a larger ammount of immaturity in a gaming community.
Eh, don't be so quick to say such things, it's not fair to blame the victim.

"look at the cloths she's wearing it's no wonder she got raped."

versus.

"look at the game she's playing it's no wonder she got harrassed"

Kind of the same thing right?
Old 2012-06-04, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goldeh View Post

versus.

Kinda! but not entirely.

I'm not pointing out the game, i'm pointing out the community it holds. It's no secret that the MW3 community mainly consists of "13-year olds". It's either people acting like 13-year olds, or actual 13 year-old people. Immaturity is to expect when you enter a community like that.

It's like entering a kindergarden, expecting mature conversations. Almost...!

And it doesn't help when the harrasment of women is considered humoristic. "Get back to the kitchen!" etc, etc.

Last edited by Winfernal; 2012-06-04 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

People say dick things no matter what gender you are. Women need to get over it and realize they aren't singled out in that regard.

Honestly I think I get more trash spewed at me than my gf does. Anecdotal, but further backed up by the fact that none of the girls I know who play online games have complained about insults.

Then again, they don't play fighting games or MW3 on a console so...

Edit: Though I don't think any of it should go unpunished, certainly.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-06-04 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SKYeXile
Major General

versus.

Personally i know that if i have gay butt sex's im probably gonna get aids, same with going on XBL voice chat.

People need to be aware of the risks.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-04, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

versus.

It's more the fact that it happens to everyone, they throw shitty insults at her because she's a woman - yes. But you will get insults thrown at you regardless of who you are.

- Are you a teenage boy, if you beat someone you'll get a hate text insulting your sexuality/race/mother/family

- Are you an old man, if you beat someone you'll get a hate text insulting your sexuality/race/mother/family

Hell yes, it's a problem, but I hate the way they spin it as being a 'gamer' problem. No, no it's not. It's called playing a game with primarily teenage boys/young adults who have no repurcussion to their actions. We all know how they behave, they are exactly the same IRL as they are ingame, they are just bolder in game because they know they can't get their ass beat.

The way I put it is, if you go into a jail and try to hold polite conversation. Can you really be surprised when they turn out to be douchebags?

Last edited by 2coolforu; 2012-06-04 at 03:02 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Winfernal View Post
Kinda! but not entirely.

I'm not pointing out the game, i'm pointing out the community it holds. It's no secret that the MW3 community mainly consists of "13-year olds". It's either people acting like 13-year olds, or actual 13 year-old people. Immaturity is to expect when you enter a community like that.
I call them 12 year olds, and i just laugh when they try to be all mucho, one time on COD:Black Ops. Someone was trash talking and killed me by jumping around a corner, and was all like "ooohh i killed you ahaha (maybe some insaulting words and stuff, can't remember)." Then i said "yeah by jumping round a corner like a noob" Then everyone started mocking him. it was funny. Good times when people like that get mocked and such. Brings back my faith in the community.

Also, because of friendly fire. We can find out who has been harrassing other people. Then kill them over and over again while they swear at us.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Personally i know that if i have gay butt sex's im probably gonna get aids, same with going on XBL voice chat.

People need to be aware of the risks.
Most of the time i just plug in the headset so i can't hear what they say, and just leave it sitting beside me, or i mute them.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
wraithverge
Sergeant

meh, full time moderators in game, account bans happen, if people don't learn to play nice, they can learn what it's like to not play.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion