Resupply Cert - Infantry - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is evil admin
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-02-08, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Canaris
Contributor
General

Resupply Cert - Infantry

I had an idea for a support cert - Resupply

For the times you're stuck out in the field, not near a tower/base or AMS there's still hope.

The trooper takes a ammunition resupply device ARD, making him almost a mobile ammunition resupply terminal that can be accessed by Infantry and Maxes in the field.
Keep killing longer

Pro's Same as healing and repairing armor the use of the ARD by other players gives a small amount of XP

The love of your faction buddies for them not running out of ammo and all dieing like cattle.

Possible Cons:

Requires portable NTU power units (ammo)

When a trooper takes a resupply cert they have to sacrafice possibly their equpiment and pistol hand slot in order to equip the ARD.

When using the ARD in the field the trooper/s becomes stationary with a 2 second deploy charge & a 2 second unemploy restriction for the ARD user. (guideline times, needs to be made fair and balanced)
Or a possible slight debuff to HP/AR

Cooldown between use

(I was calling it in my mind the NTU resupply device until I wrote it down and look at it *NRD*) lol
Old 2011-02-08, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Resupply Cert - Infantry

I honestly rarely run out of ammo while foot grunting, so I'm not sure this would be utilized very often.
Old 2011-02-08, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I honestly rarely run out of ammo while foot grunting, so I'm not sure this would be utilized very often.
Which faction did you play, as I know from experience of the TR faction trait, increased ROF is both a blessing and a curse. I was always running out of ammo for my mcg and striker (more so the striker after they nerfed it to a 5 shot, something I'm still sore about hehe)
Old 2011-02-08, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Not a bad idea, with some fine tuning it would be pretty nice. Just as long as it's not at the level it is in most FPS's where you can fire out ammo packs all over

Although come to think of it - looting people's bags sufficed for me if I ran out of ammo. But it's a dangerous thing to do.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-08, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

Canaris, I've read a bunch of your posts and I like how you think. This is an interesting idea, but maybe it could be combined or folded into engineering so you didn't have to spend (hopefully limited) cert points on the skill.

Like Hamma said, checking backbacks can be a dangerous proposal, so this would be great for those times you lived long enough as a grunt to run out of ammo.
Old 2011-02-08, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Make it so you can change armors, then a cloaker could haxor it and change into a Max!

Just kidding, I really don't want that I just thought it was funny.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-08, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

It's a good idea, in theory. If this game was like BF2, then yeah. But... it's not. Ammo is never really far away - the nearest AMS, tower, base, recall-to-Sanc, and if you're doing your job right (or your battle buddies suck), the nearest backpack.
Old 2011-02-08, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

On my pup I have commanders able to place a resupply terminal if they are cr2 or above and have the right kit.

https://sites.google.com/site/planet...mmand-overhaul
Old 2011-02-08, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
Which faction did you play, as I know from experience of the TR faction trait, increased ROF is both a blessing and a curse. I was always running out of ammo for my mcg and striker (more so the striker after they nerfed it to a 5 shot, something I'm still sore about hehe)
My typical rexo footzerg build has x3 striker boxes and x3 ammo boxes + 50 cycler shots, more than enough ammo. My indoor is MCG + 150ish ammo + 2 decis. Not even the best of the best often live long enough to use 2.5 clips. Not to mention you can loot ammo off people you kill.

I wouldn't be against them putting this in but I don't think it will be useful often. Maybe bundle it with CE or let lodestars drop them or something.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-02-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 2011-02-08, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Being able to resupply would ruin some of the balance and teamwork, one of the best experiences was running low on ammo in some epic hold and having people do ammo runs and other crazy stuff. If you can resupply people could just have 1 or 2 boxes of ammo and then simply resupply themselves.

Just look at BF2/BF BC2. Ammo is very rarely given to teammates and is used to whore the GL/Rockets etc. It's a bad idea all round, either ask a friend to drop you some more 9 mm's or run back to the tower.
Old 2011-02-08, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
CutterJohn
Colonel

I wouldn't mind a small ANT sized vehicle that has an equipment terminal, but no cloak. Shouldn't have to deploy either. And maybe a heal/repair field. I'm sure MAXs would love it.

I quite like the lodestar idea too.. Rather than being itself the repair/rearm depot, it has a 'weapon' with 1 shot that drops a field repair base like a bomb, then its back to base to reload. Probably a limit of only a couple could be deployed.

You could even expand on that by having the lode drop heavy field fortifications in place, like a bunker, or turrets, etc.

I'm not terribly keen on the idea of a grunt with ammo generation abilities though. Would kill the balance of certain weapons that have limited ammo. Decimators, or thumpers...

Perhaps a support MAX unit?

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-02-08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2011-02-09, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Wrath
Corporal

oh god I really really really hope this never gets put into the game. anybody whos played bad company 2 knows what I mean.

seriously squads camped in buildings with unlimited ammo supply god no. I havent played planetside in a few years now but part of the fun for me was after breaking into an enemy base and scavaging bodys for ammo.

or doing a tower defence and running short on ammo having to dash down and try get resupplied or some mad guy in a max suit just running up and down the stairs bring ammo for everybody.

its what brings the sense of tension to a lot of situation. that alamo feel where your running shot of supplys trying to hold out for rescue take that away. with supply units and ammo goes from become a resource to be treasured to just an annoying hinderous when you need to reload between holding down the left mouse button.
Old 2011-02-09, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Hey guys!

There's this thing in the game. It's called an equipment terminal. They can be found in the following locations:

1) Bases, multiple locations
2) Towers, basement

And for those times when you're nowhere near a base or a tower (for G-d only knows what reason, since the game revolves around that), there's this nifty thing called an AMS. You can drive it almost anywhere, park it almost anywhere, and the best thing of all is... it comes with a nifty +5 Vorpal Cloak of Invisibility.
Old 2011-02-10, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Canaris
Contributor
General

I hear what your saying about the BF ammo spam, which is why I chose to add a list of restrictions like,

Cooldown between use
Limited use
Only works for Maxes and Infantry
a Debuff or delay for using

It's nothing like just dumping a pack on the ground anywhere you want and letting people sit on it to reload.
It would have to be used tactically, find some cover and hunker down.

I remember plenty of times during the game when a attack force from one side would be pushing forward using armored convoys and run smack bang into the enemies retaliation force setup at a choke point like a bridge.

No towers or bases nearby and the AMS that was brought getting blown up or no AMS at all but the medics and engineers would be doing a sterling job and keeping those infantry alive and fighting but at the point that those who get's rezzed doesn't have any ammo left to keep playing.
It's for those or similar situation that this idea was for.
Old 2011-02-10, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Wrath
Corporal

yeah but thats the point where saying about team work your teams AMS gets blown up its up to the commanders or squads to get a replacement to the front lines.

and at the front lines there is never a shortage of dead bodys to go salvage guns and ammo from. I just dont see how this would help game play all you'd do is create clumps of static fire positions from which people can just sit and spam grenades or rockets both on defence and offence.

it would slow game play down and in my opinion make the game a lot duller experence.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion