Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 18 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your official babysitter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-18, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #256
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
You sound like you have no concept of vehicle balance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect
Old 2012-03-18, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #257
Sirisian
Colonel

Yes, that is exactly your problem. You believe you understand vehicle balance and hold onto an idea that only wheeled, tracked, and aircraft can be balanced in a game. Until you can get over that wall in your thought process you won't be able to reasonably understand how all the possible of variables of vehicle and weapon balance interact. I'm glad you're starting to come around.
Old 2012-03-18, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #258
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Yes, that is exactly your problem.
Hilarious

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-19, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #259
Fortress
Sergeant

Tune in next week for arguments advocating Mountable Robot Dragons and the 6 Hour, 27 man Raids to acquire them!

Also, a Spider Chassis that can climb towers and shoot laser webs out of its ass!
Old 2012-03-19, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #260
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I am all for BFR's if they become support:
  • They die to 1 mine, yes, 1
  • They die to a single tank round, even from a lighting
  • They die to 2 AV shots from infantry
  • They cannot jump
  • They are half the speed of a tank
  • They have no shield
  • They require a driver and a separate gunner
  • They are the last unlock in the tank cert tree
  • They require resources to purchase, but are cheap
  • The ideal target for them is infantry and light vehicles
  • They become behind the line support.
  • They have enhanced radar that can detect all enemies except cloakers within a 150m radius. (but not large enough to show infantry deep within a base) (upgrade?) (force a deploy mode?)
  • They broadcast enemy positions to all platoon & outfit mates within a 100m radius. (upgrade?)
  • They can repair nearby vehicles. 20 meter radius? (upgrade?)
  • They are not detected by another BFR's enhance radar.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-19 at 12:40 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #261
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I am all for BFR's if they become support:
[...]
A lot of those are very reasonable expectations that others have voiced. I'm more vocal about a component based system for a possible mech. It sounds like having 2 people might be a bit much.

These in particular are reasonable:
  • They die to 1 mine, yes, 1
  • They die to 2 AV shots from infantry
  • They cannot jump
  • They are half the speed of a tank
  • They have no shield
  • The ideal target for them is infantry and light vehicles
  • They become behind the line support.
  • They have enhanced radar that can detect all enemies except cloakers within a 150m radius. (but not large enough to show infantry deep within a base) (upgrade?) (force a deploy mode?)
  • They broadcast enemy positions to all platoon & outfit mates within a 100m radius. (upgrade?)
  • They can repair nearby vehicles. 20 meter radius? (upgrade?)
  • They are not detected by another BFR's enhance radar.
I will point out though that tanks are fairly fast. It might be odd to make a mech even half as fast as a tank. I'd be fine if they went at a general medium pace. The BFR run mode I don't think is necessary for a balanced mech. That is tanks should have the advantage of speed whereas a mech would be a slower weapons platform.

I think Higby said that engineers in the PS2 will have the ability to lay minefields instead of setting them down one at a time. Having them die in 1 mine would actually be fine given their legs. As long as they can see and dodge them from their cockpit. They'd be expected to move with packs of other vehicles so mines shouldn't be a problem. Either that or having them slow down to a crawl when their leg component is damaged forcing them to get an engineer. This is with a condition though that engineers can't place mines instantly at a mech's feet like in PS1. C4 is fine like that though as long as it's balanced.

2 AV shots is also fine. I would say it should depend on the location. Like 2 shots to the cockpit of a mech vs a shot to an arm. 1 AV shot (not lock-on) to an arm component should disable it. Like a tank round hitting an arm or shoulder rocket system should disable it.

• They die to a single tank round, even from a lighting
  • They require a driver and a separate gunner
  • They are the last unlock in the tank cert tree
  • They require resources to purchase, but are cheap
I have reservations on balancing a tank vs a mech. I wouldn't care too much if a tank round hitting the cockpit of a mech destroyed it. That forces a skilled mech driver to rotate their weapon systems to block the attack. A lightning though seems a bit odd. If it's like the PS1 lightning that has a fast ROF then it might be too luck based. Ideally a player should use skill when taking out a target not just lobbing shells at a mech from afar for a lucky hit.

I'm against 2 person mechs. It forces the developers to try to balance them to be larger and takes away the fun of piloting one where you control the weapon systems. Personal opinion. We did have a few people on the forums that wanted aircraft to be 2 person where one person flies and another guns so there is support for such a configuration. I just don't much care for it in an FPS since I like to do both.

Regarding tying it into the tank cert tree or making it cost more resources it sounds like you're trying to justify it as something that would be more powerful or an upgrade to a tank. That's not how a mech should be balanced. It should just act as a separate vehicle with its own skill tree just like a lightning. (I'm imagining the analog to this would be putting the tank as a cert unlock in the lightning tree).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-19 at 12:59 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #262
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I think locational damage would go a long way into balancing a mech. If you take out a leg, the mech driver would either have to sit there as a sitting duck or get out.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #263
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
I think locational damage would go a long way into balancing a mech. If you take out a leg, the mech driver would either have to sit there as a sitting duck or get out.
That reminds me of the time when I completed a mission in MechWarrior 2: Mercs after the last guy blew my legs off.... I wiggled my way to the extraction point
Old 2012-03-19, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #264
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Something is plausible when it makes sense within the context. Civilizations learning to create and use nanites and then using the nanites to assemble things is plausible, for example.
No. Not assemble things. Assemble floating tanks. Assemble people, back to life.

Something is implausible when it does not make sense within the context. Civilizations going to war with each other and deciding to design and use an unnecessarily expensive and impractical vehicle when a variety of more sensible options are available is implausible, for example.
Expensive? Really? Do you watch films going "I can't believe this. Their government wouldn't allow them to blow that up, the collateral would be too expensive"?

Impractical? So what? It's a game. I refuse to believe you can see corpses being brought to life, troops surviving rocket launchers to the face and tank drivers teleporting in and out of their vehicles, but a cockpit with legs is just a stretch too far.

Punching yourself in the genitals is easier than making an omelette. What is your point? And if what were to have legs? Are you suggesting that we use some form of legless mechanized walker?
On the implausibility scale, resurrection places a hell of a lot higher than a primitive mech. That's the point.

If you couldn't imagine any kind of mech gelling with the aesthetics of the other characters on the battlefield, that'd be fine, but the argument you're trying to push here is either disingenuous silliness, or the mechanics of your suspension of disbelief are truly the most bizarre of anyone on the planet.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #265
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Honestly, trying to justify/argue/'semanticize', (yes I invented this fucking word, sue me) why/how BFR's should be introduced into PS2 is like EATING YOUR OWN VOMIT (AGAIN).
Old 2012-03-19, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #266
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by HitbackTR View Post
Honestly, trying to justify/argue/'semanticize', (yes I invented this fucking word, sue me) why/how BFR's should be introduced into PS2 is like EATING YOUR OWN VOMIT (AGAIN).
You have no idea what is going on in this thread, do you?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #267
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
You have no idea what is going on in this thread, do you?
His vomit ingestion observation is an accurate assessment of this thread.
Old 2012-03-19, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #268
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
His vomit ingestion observation is an accurate assessment of this thread.
I disagree.
It's more like nailing one's cock to their own chair.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 05:35 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #269
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Removed before I get in trouble.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-19 at 01:21 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #270
Hamma
PSU Admin

Ok guys we are nearing the point where I might have to lock this. If we can't have a constructive discussion on the topic there is no point in continuing.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion