SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, what's that on your face?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources

I'm doing targeted feedback threads on all items from Smed's Blog. This one is for player harvesting.

Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.
Thoughts!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-08-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: SmedBlog: Havestable Resources

This could be a nice thing.

I imagine some huge harvester vecs with turrets for players.

Something like movable capturepoints.
Old 2012-08-11, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources

Moveable capture points has some potential.

Weak harvesters like Star Craft II that are susceptible to air and ground raids would force players to guard them. Depending on effectiveness, it might generate a great aspect of battle, or it might force players into a boring position.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ComerEste
Corporal

Honestly, while killing people in PS2 will always be fun, it would be interesting if there were other elements besides killing people. I am definitely looking forward to them letting us build our own bases/towers/outposts in the future and it would be awesome if this was part of it. Like you have to use the minerals these things gather to upgrade your base, so they become another strategic asset to defend/attack.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ringring
Contributor
General

I don't mind as a concept.

However the questions that occur to me is why would you do it?

Would the resources you harvest accrue to you? To your outfit? To your squad? To your empire?

I'd presume harvesters (oh god it sounds like fishing in rift when I say that) can be attacked to prevent them from doing it?

It does make you wonder that they took ant runs out because they wer boring, alledgedly, but then are thinking about introducing this.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
VikingPignvin
Private

Taking a spec ops team to take out theese harvester and cut the enemys resource income would be amazing
Old 2012-08-11, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zebasiz
Corporal

Well, People were sad the ANT was gone. But now it seems we got another gatherer.
Depending on how they do it it reminds me a lot of Mining runs in EVE. Groups having to have ships to guard the miners.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

By proposing Harvestable resources he also wants to say that conquered space wont generate engouth resources to support a player needs for vehicles and suff. And that it require more resources, itherwise such option wouldnt have a point.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Akrasjel Lanate View Post
By proposing Harvestable resources he also wants to say that conquered space wont generate engouth resources to support a player needs for vehicles and suff. And that it require more resources, itherwise such option wouldnt have a point.
True. .

link this to additional vehicles that require special rare resources .. it's all getting a bit rpg, gathering, crafting....
Old 2012-08-11, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zebasiz
Corporal

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
True. .

link this to additional vehicles that require special rare resources .. it's all getting a bit rpg, gathering, crafting....
Well a big part of war is the logistics of supplies. This could be a neat way to make the war have a bit more depth. Protecting supply lines etc. Rather than just defending bases.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

But the harvesting also could be limited to some new rare resources.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

A havester should be claimable by outfits.
As long as you defend it your outfit is gathering resources for building a base/tower/Hideout for your outfit.

i think it would be nice if the resources have nothing to do with gaining access to weapons and vecs.

A mechanic to push an outfit-specific warfare

Last edited by Mox; 2012-08-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I'd like the idea better if it wasn't restricted to just outfit made bases.

If the resource harvesters functioned from every base, that gives a very distinct possible target for spec-ops teams to go after for resource denial purposes. It generates a vulnerability and would add a great deal to continental combat.

The gatherers should spawn from bases only though, not towers. And have to travel to locations where the resources are.

TBH, it's a nice idea but it might be impractical. NPC ANTs would have been a far better solution. Every base in PS1 had roads leading to nearby Warpgates and it wouldn't be hard to program an ANT to follow the road to and from a warpgate to it's target base and unload it's NTUs.
Old 2012-08-11, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm doing targeted feedback threads on all items from Smed's Blog. This one is for player harvesting.

Thoughts!
In Eve Online, as Scitor Nantom, I had four planets that I was running planetary industries on. There were planetary facilities that were harvesting minerals, and manufacturing different products by mixing some of what was harvested.

I could imagine players could deploy machines that their outfit mates would help defend. Sound cool? Anyone?
Old 2012-08-11, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
In Eve Online, as Scitor Nantom, I had four planets that I was running planetary industries on. There were planetary facilities that were harvesting minerals, and manufacturing different products by mixing some of what was harvested.

I could imagine players could deploy machines that their outfit mates would help defend. Sound cool? Anyone?
Soo it would look like PI(or moon goo) passive you set a job and wait or active like mining where you have to participate
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion