Planetside 2 Server locations - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's Advanced Mobile Station, not Armored Man Squisher
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-01, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Planetside 2 Server locations

I am wondering how many servers Planetside will be running and where they will be located. I have trawled through the main Planetside 2 thread but haven't been able to come up with any answers. My reason for asking these questions as I live in New Zealand and at the moment the best speed available for most New Zealanders is ADSL2, apparently because our phone lines are interconnected via sheep which are spaced out accordingly.

In Planetside I would normally get a in-game ping of about 100-200 which was still playable. Higby mentioned that because of the game engine pings would be better? Anyone got any info on this? Also the reason I ask is that a few people in my outfit are dirty Aussies and they would also like to know.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Server locations

How do you even get playable latency from that far away?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-01, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

This is hard for us to answer at this time as we don't have the game deployed on existing game servers. I'll try and give you the best answer I can based on existing SOE products. If right now you were playing a US version of a game like DC Universe Online you would connect to our servers in Las Vegas. If you were playing a European client you would connect with ones in New Amsterdam. If were launching tomorrow this would likely be the case. I of course cannot guarantee what happens down the road.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This is hard for us to answer at this time as we don't have the game deployed on existing game servers. I'll try and give you the best answer I can based on existing SOE products. If right now you were playing a US version of a game like DC Universe Online you would connect to our servers in Las Vegas. If you were playing a European client you would connect with ones in New Amsterdam. If were launching tomorrow this would likely be the case. I of course cannot guarantee what happens down the road.
Thanks for the prompt reply RadarX. I always used to play on Markov so I hope those kind of pings that I experienced in PS1 would still be playable in PS2.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tool
Master Sergeant

The bit about sheep gave me a laugh.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post

How do you even get playable latency from that far away?
I get the sheep to run, cuts down on packetloss.

Last edited by HitbackTR; 2012-02-01 at 10:19 PM.
Old 2012-02-02, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Princess Frosty
Corporal

Pings inside Europe these days are pretty reasonable, somewhere fairly central like Germany or Amsterdam is a good idea, UK pings to those areas aren't what i'd call ideal but they're usable, if PS2 becomes really massive it might be nice to have some UK servers specifically

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com
Old 2012-02-02, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

100 ping is pretty good but, best I can get is 150...but that's from my work and we're next door to a server farm.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-02-02, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
100 ping is pretty good but, best I can get is 150...but that's from my work and we're next door to a server farm.
A server farm full of sheep?

I digress...

Are you in Oz Sky?
Old 2012-02-02, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by HitbackTR View Post
A server farm full of sheep?

I digress...

Are you in Oz Sky?
Yea :P i thought that was like common knowledge by now, guess i need to troll more, like old times.

Planetside was pretty playable on a high ping but, hopfully this is the same, i liked playing on markov and having it active 24/7...hate getting kill stole back my packets get to the servers later though but

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-02-02, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

Good enough for me. I'm in Michigan so I have a 60 ms latency to Las Vegas.

Though it does seem odd not to have a US East and US West server like normal. Then I'd be in the 30 ms range like normal.
Old 2012-02-02, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Good enough for me. I'm in Michigan so I have a 60 ms latency to Las Vegas.

Though it does seem odd not to have a US East and US West server like normal. Then I'd be in the 30 ms range like normal.
yea i hope they put servers back in san Jose.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-02-02, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
yea i hope they put servers back in san Jose.
I live in hope that there will be a major server closer to New Zealand than what Markov was......
Old 2012-02-02, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
In regards of the european server, I am sure all european players would appreciate it if it would be located in Europa. The ping I'm getting in PS now is playable, because I am playing as support and tank driver, but PS2 is supposedly faster paced, so pings over 150ms will be bad.
Old 2012-02-02, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by HitbackTR View Post
I live in hope that there will be a major server closer to New Zealand than what Markov was......
hawaii would be good, i cant see them putting servers in australia, not with the bandwidth prices we pay.

and also only EA has ever put servers in australia, SOE? i doubt it, given the popularity would be likly lower than WAR.

but you never know, this is F2P and will attract alot of people...and australia isn't in a recession, we're willing to pay more

SKYeXile TRF - GM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion