Radar Bane for Galaxies - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I died in my sphere of influence.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Galaxies Be Changed to have no radar signature.
Yes 7 18.92%
No 30 81.08%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-01-13, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Radar Bane for Galaxies

Simple poll, in the name of making Gals more usefull as a tactical insertion vehicle, and not completely announcing their presence to everyone in a thirty mile radius when their on approach to a base, do you folks feel that Gals should have no radar sig.

Ok so simplified: Do you feel that Gals should have no radar signature?

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.

Last edited by Doppler; 2004-01-13 at 12:26 AM.
Old 2004-01-13, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Everay
Major General

no, because, itd be too over powering. infact, a few gal drops on a base can turn the tide, IE, acsess to the Gen or easy acsess to the CC, though, the advantages are only there for 3 base types.
Old 2004-01-13, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Doppler
Contributor
Major

True but my thinking is usualy guys on the roof seeing a gal coming in are going to, if their smart, immediately do a broadcast. In heated battles one gal drop is usualy just easy kills for the defenders, its the fucking back door you gotta worry about.

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-01-13, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cryptica
First Sergeant

Nawh gals have high armor, they dont need anti-radar capabilities. It would be a bit too much.
Old 2004-01-13, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Doppler
Contributor
Major

How can you really say that? Their practicly an endangered species because every tom dick and harry has a buggy or a MBT, so what incentive is there to take a gal, well a good insertion, but thats kinda negated by the fact that when you do overflight in a gal everyone knows your comign so a lot of times your dead before you hit the ground.

Old 2004-01-13, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Personally, I don't like the radar ability. Before they consider having a Gal not show up how about making a cloaker not freaking show up?

Perhaps the radar should just be ditched and something better put in place:

Remove the radar completely but make "local" area alerts when a door gets hacked... say make it have a certain percentage chance to trip an alert with the odds favoring the hacker more for having the hacking cert and more still for having the adv hacking cert.

Now rather than every fewl on the map see the enemy sneaking in or driving/flying neadby you have a chance to actually sneak in... and have a chance to trip a specific silent (only alerts the base defenders) alert "Back door hacked and breached!" or "CC room door hacked and breached!" etc.

The radar eliminates cat and mouse type sneaking and ambush setting and just allows rush together and blast away tactics. Plus it gives away too much information... "Ground flood tower door hacked" would be a more fun alert as you would not know what exactly to expect... with the radar BS you see a MAX and an infantry guy... so you surge in with your HA while he is hacking and kill the hacker and then know EXACTLY where the MAX went for perfectly timed decimator hit and runs... where is the fun in that?
Old 2004-01-13, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Jagd
Major

Nah, the radar is good to have. You can still set up ambushes if you crouch walk, something always do until I know I've been detected after a hotdrop. I also think giving the Galaxy the Mosquito's special ability would be quite unbalanced. Having flown hundreds of successful paradrops the only time I've gotten into any serious trouble is when there've been 3 or more enemy aircraft defending the base and my gunners bailed before dealing with them.
Old 2004-01-13, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Not neccesary, it just needs better guns and possibly a second version with the vehicle bay stripped out and more seats.
Old 2004-01-13, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Defenders get rolled over often enough WITH radar, lets not even talk about taking one of their few tools away from them.
Old 2004-01-13, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Maybe a support aircraft that creates a bubble around it in which everything is radar-invisible, but still visible to the eye. The bubble could be about the size of a tower's SOI, or somewhat smaller.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-01-13, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Doppler
Defenders get rolled over often enough WITH radar, lets not even talk about taking one of their few tools away from them.
I think defenders get rolled mainly because they get Zerged. Seeing 50,000 dots does you no good if you have 8 guys defending. Yeah, you know it's coming, but what they hell are you going to do about it? lol

Where it comes into play is when the numbers are few, but even on both sides... say 10 on 10. The defenders have a HUGE advantage by seeing every enemy movement. I can't tell you how many kills I've gotten because I KNEW the enemy was there and just maneuvered behind for the easy kill. So much for stalking each other or heaven forbid... actual scouting... you know... post a few guys on the walls to LOOK for the enemy... or have a few aircraft scouting around... At least make the defeders deploy motion sensors or use audio amp to get a short range radar benefit. But showing the whole SOI down to the very last infiltrator is just a bit much IMHO.
Old 2004-01-13, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Hey! If a Magrider can not have a radar image I don't see why a Gal can't, save maybe it's shear size.

Why don't Mags show up on radar?

On a slightly differnt note, has anyone else's radar been buggy this week, people not showing up freindlies and enemies? I was standing right next to a VS trooper and no red mark on my map, even with Audio Amp on. Very frustrating becasue that the reason I have audio amp.
Old 2004-01-13, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Doppler
How can you really say that? Their practicly an endangered species because every tom dick and harry has a buggy or a MBT, so what incentive is there to take a gal, well a good insertion, but thats kinda negated by the fact that when you do overflight in a gal everyone knows your comign so a lot of times your dead before you hit the ground.
Not true. A good Galaxy drop and entry into the base or tower gets 10 people (MAXes and all) into position which might take 15-30 minutes of fighting to achieve by ground troops. If the paratroops know what to do, drops work quite well. Not all drops end in success (some are miserable failures), but they work more often than not.

I understand your thinking, but I think it would make Galaxies a little too good at what they're already good at: circumventing defenses and inserting troops where needed.
Old 2004-01-13, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Most of the time when my outfit does coordinated Gal drops, it makes no difference whatsoever if we are on radar or not. The tower is ours as is the case with most good Gal drops. Gals are also tough enough to withstand attacks from the air and AA MAXs to get the job done and were made that way because its plainly obvoius one is coming with or without radar
Old 2004-01-13, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

It doesn't need radar. Since the dawn of the paratrooper in modern combat, every soldier coming out of a glider, chopper or plane has had to worry about his aircraft being spotted. An aircraft that big with that sort of engine emissions has no chance in hell of ever being stealthed.

But it's quite funny that you mentioned the troops. I only recall a handful of times that I've been killed upon landing. Perhaps it's the pilot's shitty LZ-choosing. Or maybe the troops hopping out need to undertake the BWC Air Assault training course.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion