You know...... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma for Jesus 2012
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-05-04, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Senyu
First Lieutenant

You know......

Blizzard is currently producing a next gen mmo. Supposedly with a universe they have not done before. It will be SciFi. Also an FPS.......

Not saying it is but........see the possible connection here of two companies teaming up?
Old 2011-05-04, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: You know......

Are you implying that Activision Blizzard, the BMOC, would have the slightest need to wheel and deal with SOE, the slightly retarded kid with a rich daddy?

Old 2011-05-04, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
morf
First Sergeant

The FPS part is rumormill.

But we can hope.
Old 2011-05-04, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Meh just thought I would point out the similarities. Its fun to speculate. Though i will never understand why Blizz merged with activision
Old 2011-05-05, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

You can bet tho that blizz will not make a PS style game. They will make it a grind fest, because those make a ton more money. Just because you and I cant stand em, doesnt mean that the vast vast vast majority of people wont play em day in and day out. My guess is it will be somethin more similar to Borderlands, but on a bigger scale. PVE and PVP elements. Gear you get from quests and instances. Basically wow + fps. Someone has got to do that formula soon.

Now im not sayin thats a bad game and i'd prob play it some. But i'd much rather have a PS style game where im not grinding, and its skill not grind amount or item drop rates, that determine how you do. There's a reason i cant stand playin WoW anymore, after 6 straight years with no break i just dont wanna grind anymore. It feels like a job not a fun game.
Old 2011-05-06, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Are you implying that Activision Blizzard, the BMOC, would have the slightest need to wheel and deal with SOE, the slightly retarded kid with a rich daddy?
Very well put. Them merging, can be simply put as a good business decision. They make money off each other very well. SOE is a hole you through money into.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-05-06, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
You can bet tho that blizz will not make a PS style game. They will make it a grind fest, because those make a ton more money. Just because you and I cant stand em, doesnt mean that the vast vast vast majority of people wont play em day in and day out. My guess is it will be somethin more similar to Borderlands, but on a bigger scale. PVE and PVP elements. Gear you get from quests and instances. Basically wow + fps. Someone has got to do that formula soon.

Now im not sayin thats a bad game and i'd prob play it some. But i'd much rather have a PS style game where im not grinding, and its skill not grind amount or item drop rates, that determine how you do. There's a reason i cant stand playin WoW anymore, after 6 straight years with no break i just dont wanna grind anymore. It feels like a job not a fun game.
if anything if bliz made a fps mmo, id exspect it to be that exactly, which is pretty much, global agenda...
Old 2011-05-06, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Canaris
Contributor
General

Ahh I can see it now
a FPS with subscription and micro transactions, Don't bother playing the game to advance when you can just pay for it instead and since your already paying a monthly subscription you'll fork out even more cash for stuff like better weapons and faster vehicles or else fall behind ha ha!
I dislikes Activision very, very much

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2011-05-06 at 02:09 AM.
Old 2011-05-06, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
if anything if bliz made a fps mmo, id exspect it to be that exactly, which is pretty much, global agenda...
Just in case you were not trolling.

GA was made by very small developer with limited funds and time, which focused on instanced pvp and didn't add their open zone till a later time.

Blizz is a multibillion company with more funds and time than they'll ever need.

See the difference? For better or for worse, it wont be anything like GA.

Last edited by Lorgarn; 2011-05-06 at 06:50 AM.
Old 2011-05-06, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ant001
Corporal

I find it rather dissapointing that people are talking a lot about "other" fps games.

Does this mean that we ragard SOE is such low regard now that they will be lucky to survive this debacle. I hear also that they have multipul lawsuits against them that could result in millions of dollars having to be paid out. Could this sound the death nell of a company that is already in a bad finicial state ?.

I do hope this doesn't happen, because even though most of thier contribution to modern gaming is limited they do have some great ideas for the future.
Old 2011-05-06, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Ant001 View Post
I find it rather dissapointing that people are talking a lot about "other" fps games.

Does this mean that we ragard SOE is such low regard now that they will be lucky to survive this debacle. I hear also that they have multipul lawsuits against them that could result in millions of dollars having to be paid out. Could this sound the death nell of a company that is already in a bad finicial state ?.

I do hope this doesn't happen, because even though most of thier contribution to modern gaming is limited they do have some great ideas for the future.
I agree with Ant, can we have this thread dumped into the appropriate forum where I don't have to see it please

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2011-05-06, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Ant001 View Post

Does this mean that we ragard SOE is such low regard now ....
Tbh i've got no love for SOE, their customer service and content updates are a joke, but PS is a great game, i'd have no trouble going to a different franchise if it followed PS's design philosophy. If blizzard made a MMOFPS that played the same as PS i'd be more than happy to give them my money.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Senyu
First Lieutenant

People sure can take things to new levels.

This isn't of how much regard you have for SOE. This was just a "poke for fun the thought that these two companies are making MMOFPS games".

Personally I think Blizz makes better developed games. I'm not just speaking about WoW which is something that got so huge that people began to hate it unconditionally. Like Justin Bieber. And I liked Planetside. Personally I drool at the thought of Blizz helping SOE make Planetside Next because they have a very good track record.

Is this the case? No, but you can dam well be sure people will be comparing these two games until their very distinctly different that they can no longer be compared with each other.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ormeon
Private

BorisBlade has sure got a point there.

What I can see from Activision and Blizzard is that ALL games require tremendous amounts of time to achieve something. Levels that eventually need millions of experience just to get that specific gun/weapon or piece of gear.

I've played World of Warcraft for many months, and I can definitely see what it actually IS that make people play and pay for so long and it's those things that will see it back into their new MMO.

WoW is such a perfectly designed game, so wonderfully put together that it's playable by anyone. But it's missing the flaws (yes, those too) and awesome things that make games like PlanetSide and Guild Wars so fantastic and addictive.

Let's all just keep hoping, with a lot of confidence in SOE that they will get it done, that PlanetSide NEXT is going to be one hell-of-a game, one that definitely puts the old PlanetSide into its shadow.

~Orm
Old 2011-05-06, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lorgarn View Post
Just in case you were not trolling.

GA was made by very small developer with limited funds and time, which focused on instanced pvp and didn't add their open zone till a later time.

Blizz is a multibillion company with more funds and time than they'll ever need.

See the difference? For better or for worse, it wont be anything like GA.
i wasnt trolling, and im not calling the GA team incompetent by any means, i was simply comparing what GA is essentially, to what bliz has become successful for, and because it is a game that embodies the earlier posts. its a first/third person shooter that levels up instanced zones and tiered gear.

and despite bliz is a multi billion dollar company, it still doesnt change the actual simplicity of their games, none of them are really ground breaking in terms of what they do, they are just done really well, and thats not bad, its quality for what you pay. if it wasnt for Bliz, diablo would have been turn based afterall, and that would have been sad.

but if bliz did make an mmofps, it would likely be similar to what GA is, im not saying it wouldnt be a good game, but since we were compering it to PS, it would be in my eyes, and i believe alot of others here, inferior. after all, blizzard does one thing well, leveling though quests with teir gear, its their bread and butter, and casual players love it, because they always have a place at any given time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion