Continent Population Caps? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Inducing seizures since 2000000000003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-06-30, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Radaeron
Sergeant

Re: Continent Population Caps?

I did a quick search to find related threads, as this is one of the more recent I thought I'd give it a bump in case anyone has any info. Apologies if I've missed another section that has this info:

Is anyone else strongly concerned about server total populations?

I've seen the 2,000 per continent flying around, given that it'll initially be out with 3 continents, that's a logical limit of 6,000 for the server. While this is already more than the current active cap for Planetside 1 (I think), the fact the game will be free-to-play will invariably attract tens of thousands of people.[1]

My biggest concern is that continental servers will be fragmented, so old outfits will end up on different servers to one another and that sense of wider community and rivalry will become lost.

Has there been any info about this specific topic?

[1] A free game that is (roughly) 10 years old attracted over 20,000 people to a website. Planetside 2 has a massively unique appeal that will likely draw in more than that within hours of release (if we're talking a global audience)
Old 2012-06-30, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
If you program, everything is powers of two. It's probably 2048.
Current PS is actually 399. I doubt that. 2048/3 = 682.66666666666666666666666666667

So yeah not happening.

Radaeron if anything there will likely be a community push to have a non-official status for certain PS2 servers to be branded for old PS players to play on in case people want to stick with that crowd in particular.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-06-30 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2012-06-30, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Radaeron
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Current PS is actually 399. I doubt that. 2048/3 = 682.66666666666666666666666666667

So yeah not happening.

Radaeron if anything there will likely be a community push to have a non-official status for certain PS2 servers to be branded for old PS players to play on in case people want to stick with that crowd in particular.
fingers crossed Perhaps it'll tie in with a nickname/outfit reservation.

Thumbing through the threads compiled with info, TRay saying last year that it'd be something to "run up the flagpole"

Thanks for the answer anyway mate. I'll have to keep an eye out / help with any community efforts on that side.
Old 2012-07-01, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Doxy
Staff Sergeant

Wonder if the ques to get on overpop servers gonna be global or faction specific.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Brambo
Private

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I hope they do lower it to 1000. Instead of focusing effort to max out pop on a server then devise means to keep it spread out as to not overload a region, limit pops and let us have huge battles. Hell I would be all for smaller conts and smaller pop if it meant better more intense fights.
I agree with this. Of course it all depends on implementation, but it'd probably be more fun to have a 1000 people if they can all hang around a small area than having 2000+ people on a continent and then not being able to get everyone in the same battle because everything lags to death.

As for an answer to the OP's question, there is no answer yet. There's lots of fun numbers flying around, but we haven't even had a real Beta, so we'll have to wait and see how far the dev's can push it in practice.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I hope they do lower it to 1000. Instead of focusing effort to max out pop on a server then devise means to keep it spread out as to not overload a region, limit pops and let us have huge battles. Hell I would be all for smaller conts and smaller pop if it meant better more intense fights.
That almost seems to be against the entire point of planetside. lol. With all do respect.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Brambo
Private

Well, 1000 people in a single place is still an enormous battle, bigger than anything else around. I'm assuming you mean the "point of planetside" is the massive battles, and I feel 1000 players at the same time could easily still deliver that. Of course bigger is better. But fluent is better than clunky and laggy

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions