Compatability - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a adult friend finder
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-03-07, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

Re: Compatability

Ok Spearka, here is the one reason why the "Other MMO's do this" thing has no bearing on this. PS2 is not an MMO in the performance aspect, it's an FPS first and foremost. In any single battle, your CPU has to track nearly 3-4x the amount of information than it would in say, a Battlefield match. This means that while an MMO has some very basic calculations needed by the user's computer; for Planetside your CPU is doing unit tracking, bullet physics, bullet collission, newtonian physics, and all sorts of other calculations. Comparing it to a regular MMO such as WoW or EVE is wholly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Quite simply there is no way to get it running well with those specs. It's simply impossible. It doesn't matter how much you fuss and moan, it simply isn't going to work. Im sorry, but there is nothing anybody can do.

EDIT: Also quite frankly a decent gaming rig can be built for around the price of the next gen consoles, it is hardly "Selling your soul" to power a modern game.

Last edited by Silent Thunder; 2013-03-07 at 03:07 PM.
Old 2013-03-07, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Spearka
Private

Originally Posted by Silent Thunder View Post
Ok Spearka, here is the one reason why the "Other MMO's do this" thing has no bearing on this. PS2 is not an MMO in the performance aspect, it's an FPS first and foremost. In any single battle, your CPU has to track nearly 3-4x the amount of information than it would in say, a Battlefield match. This means that while an MMO has some very basic calculations needed by the user's computer; for Planetside your CPU is doing unit tracking, bullet physics, bullet collission, newtonian physics, and all sorts of other calculations. Comparing it to a regular MMO such as WoW or EVE is wholly irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Quite simply there is no way to get it running well with those specs. It's simply impossible. It doesn't matter how much you fuss and moan, it simply isn't going to work. Im sorry, but there is nothing anybody can do.

EDIT: Also quite frankly a decent gaming rig can be built for around the price of the next gen consoles, it is hardly "Selling your soul" to power a modern game.
last warning, i asked for advice, not discoragment from playing becuase it is "impossible" though it clearly isn't, i am not ignoring you, but posts that just say it is impossible(which seriously just says "you cannot play this, play some other lame game that isn't near PS2 but we just want you to go away hurr durr") i just want to play PS2, nothing more, nothing less so if you are just going to say it is impossible without cold, hard evidence, just go away yourself

P.S.i am definitely NOT willing to spend ludicrous amounts of money on "modern" hardware on just one game, my specs have already been good enough to run 20 games so why waste wads on one? (once again, i am not willing to stop playing PS2 full-stop)
Old 2013-03-07, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
luvthesnapper
Private

Turn everything down to low, turn off shadows and lighting through user options file, move res to something like 1024 x 768. Test it out. Raise resolution from there. It's going to look like poop, but it should be playable.

There's really no way around having to buy new hardware, and maybe even software, to run at medium or above settings. You want a 64 bit OS, as well.

For reference, my setup:

i5-2500k
4 gb g-skill 1333
600 watt XFX power
Hd 6670

I run it with some things completely off, and the rest at low or medium, at 40 fps. My gpu is holding me back, which will be replaced soon. Also dropping in more ram.

Last edited by luvthesnapper; 2013-03-07 at 05:39 PM.
Old 2013-03-14, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Bulltahr
Corporal

Originally Posted by Spearka View Post
last warning, i asked for advice, not discoragment from playing becuase it is "impossible" though it clearly isn't, i am not ignoring you, but posts that just say it is impossible(which seriously just says "you cannot play this, play some other lame game that isn't near PS2 but we just want you to go away hurr durr") i just want to play PS2, nothing more, nothing less so if you are just going to say it is impossible without cold, hard evidence, just go away yourself

P.S.i am definitely NOT willing to spend ludicrous amounts of money on "modern" hardware on just one game, my specs have already been good enough to run 20 games so why waste wads on one? (once again, i am not willing to stop playing PS2 full-stop)
You are getting advice, good advice, your just not listening to it...........
Good luck man your going to need it playing it with those specs..........
Old 2013-03-14, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
XeonraY
Private

Originally Posted by luvthesnapper View Post
Turn everything down to low, turn off shadows and lighting through user options file, move res to something like 1024 x 768. Test it out. Raise resolution from there. It's going to look like poop, but it should be playable.

There's really no way around having to buy new hardware, and maybe even software, to run at medium or above settings. You want a 64 bit OS, as well.

For reference, my setup:

i5-2500k
4 gb g-skill 1333
600 watt XFX power
Hd 6670

I run it with some things completely off, and the rest at low or medium, at 40 fps. My gpu is holding me back, which will be replaced soon. Also dropping in more ram.
I would also recommend this. Try turning down every aspect of the graphics and don't forget the resolution. With this advice your PC will probably not even be able to run this game smooth and with good graphics.

My current setup is:
i7 2600k 3,4Ghz
8GB DDR3
Radeon HD 6780

and I'm having to run everything on low, except texture quality to gain 60 FPS in non-combat zones and in combat zones it tends to drop to the low 30 FPS.
You can not expect your system to run this resource heavy game and have good FPS. That is just not possible. Your hardware is on the low to very low side. I get your pain and I wish I had a better GPU too. Just to be able to max everything out and play one of the most awesome game every made (big FPS fan here).

Let's compare your system's hardware with the minimum requirements set for the game by the developer.

Operating System:
Yours: Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bits
Required: Windows XP
This is a hard one to start with. We all know that Vista isn't the best OS to have, its even worse then his predecesor.
Also, 64 bits is adviced, a lot! See RAM

CPU:
Yours: Pentium Dual Core 2.6GHz
Required: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
Your CPU is "weaker" then the required CPU advised by the developor.
This is an important part because for some reason this game is very CPU heavy (physics, bullet physics, collision all that good stuff)

RAM:
Yours: 2GB RAM
Required: 4 GB Installed RAM
Well, you got the half less then the minimum required. Also you state that you have a 64 bits system, but you only have 2GB of ram, which is why it is basically useless to have a 64 bit system. You can only get the advantage of a 64 bits system when you have more then 4GB of ram. This has to do something with the limited addresses the computer can give to data (if I remember correctly) with 2GB.

GPU:
Yours: ATI Radeon HD 4350
Required: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher
Again, your GPU isn't "strong" enough to meet the advised minumum.

I hope I helped a bit. But don't get your hopes up to run this game well and smooth with nice graphics on that system unless you do some upgrades. You also cannot expect the developors to tone down the game to run on that system. The system just has to do too much to do all that stuff, plus make it look good.

Last edited by XeonraY; 2013-03-14 at 06:41 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions