Planetside 2: map layouts (spoiler) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remove head from sphincter, than post!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Planetside 2: map layouts (spoiler)

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
the thing i want to point out is i found the TR and NC warp gate much more closer and the VS at the very opposite far away from ours so it will be a way more easy for VS to get back in the figth and back stab tr and Nc while they constantly engage each others due to their proximity
What are you talking about? The warpgates on Amerish are pretty similar distances from each other (especially considering that it's still a work in progress) and the Indar warpgates form just about a perfect equilateral triangle.

I'd be more concerned with how much easy to defend nearby territory the VS have, not the distance between footholds.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zenben
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
So I guess beta has started... no other explanation for leaks.. o.O
The leaks were caused by someone figuring out you could manipulate the DCUO launchpad to download the PS2 E3 beta client, which people then datamined. That's how these leaks appeared. I would feel a little betrayed if a small beta had started and we weren't at least informed here.

Edit: Forgot to add that it has since been fixed, so I don't think there's any harm in explaining how it happened, especially if specifics are not included. If I'm wrong, please delete.

Last edited by Zenben; 2012-06-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

That second continent, I dont know if thats really what that continent is going to look like. I dont think they would have all this awesome artistic creativity and then throw two maybe three square continents at us. I kinda think that second continent is either a concept or a fake.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
That second continent, I dont know if thats really what that continent is going to look like. I dont think they would have all this awesome artistic creativity and then throw two maybe three square continents at us. I kinda think that second continent is either a concept or a fake.
Prbly concept. It's the E3 build that was leaked, so I can't see whole other continents having been included just for that.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Prbly concept. It's the E3 build that was leaked, so I can't see whole other continents having been included just for that.
Yes true. And if i recall Higby saying that the E3 map that was played was especially for E3 and beta? I could be wrong.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Yes true. And if i recall Higby saying that the E3 map that was played was especially for E3 and beta? I could be wrong.
That was about the playable area of the map they made, which was the one base.

The client however contained this information I guess. They didn't remove everything from the client that wasn't needed for the E3.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
That was about the playable area of the map they made, which was the one base.

The client however contained this information I guess. They didn't remove everything from the client that wasn't needed for the E3.
Agree, but the map we saw above is probably only a concept. It doesn't have the finished "feel" of the Indar map.

not that I'm always or ever right.....
Old 2012-06-14, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Agree, but the map we saw above is probably only a concept. It doesn't have the finished "feel" of the Indar map.

not that I'm always or ever right.....
I agree that it doesn't look finished, but it does however look like that it was pretty far in process, as the layout is mostly there, and most of the terrain is in place.

It doesn't look like something they would just scrap out.
Old 2012-06-14, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
E3 was Indar, just segmented off to a few Hexes.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The second continent looks fairly legit to me. The layout looks like something they would put out, and it's very mountainous. The tweet pic of Amerish that T-Ray sent out looked very mountainous. And also its clearly green, so it isn't Esamir.

I think it's reasonable to conclude that is the working map of Amerish.

The outlines of continents we saw in the E3 map may simply be placeholder, or outlines of earlier maps they have since scrapped.

Though it looks neat, the Amerish map looks like it has even fewer tactical options, but it will be different than Indar. Amerish has the big mountain in the middle like Cyssor that will force combat to go around it, so Amerish won't end up a big 3-way clusterfuck in the middle of the map. Instead you'll have each empire pushing out from the sides with 2-way battles on each. It provides different combat experiences so I think that's good. It will feel very different from Indar and have different types of battles. Good for diversity.

Overall I approve of that map design. The tactical stuff will come when there's a lot more continents and they can hook them up differently. For now this looks good. Diverse battle in a different geography. If you don't like the cauldron of Indar, you can hit up Amerish. I'm hoping Esamir continues the pattern and offers some different gameplay too.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

The second continent looks legit but from what I can tell it is isn't finished. The map of Indar has dozens of the smaller outposts littered around and it is possible to see them quite clearly. The second map doesn't have any of those features.

So I'm not going to base anything on of the new image since it isn't finished. Who knows if that will be the final shape or size of the continent, who knows.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

They don't HAVE to be square, but it lets us pack on the most gameplay space into the maps.
Old 2012-06-14, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
They don't HAVE to be square, but it lets us pack on the most gameplay space into the maps.
I like it much better than the "leaked" crazy outline shapes we've seen earlier.

Old 2012-06-14, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Overall I approve of that map design. The tactical stuff will come when there's a lot more continents and they can hook them up differently. For now this looks good. Diverse battle in a different geography. If you don't like the cauldron of Indar, you can hit up Amerish. I'm hoping Esamir continues the pattern and offers some different gameplay too.
Hopefully continuing the trend by being different than Indar and Amerish, although I'm not sure what the counterpoint to heavy 3 ways and heavy 2 ways would be.

Maybe Esamir will be more like a mix of old Esamir and Ceryshen, with lots of tundra mixed with insane cliffs that funnel battle lines, not around a mountain, but into winding paths.

I have speculated that Indar will still probably have plenty of 2 way and 3 way battles, but somewhere like Esamir could be the ultimate 2 way/3 way split by having a central region which is easily accessible by all 3 empires, which is geographically isolated from several surrounding areas which are mostly only viable for 2 ways. This could be accomplished with sheer cliffs and by placing the footholds closer to the center than on most maps, making a clear distinction between the 3 way center and the 2 way surrounding hexes.

I was kind of figuring it was an optimization decision. It's not terrible, it just looks a little awkward at the moment, at least on Indar.

Is it possible to edit the terrain easily at a later point in time? I think that once the hex map is locked down, a few tweaks to the Indar landmass that isn't covered by the hex grid could really make it seem less square, while still maximizing the use of map space.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Nobel
Master Sergeant

Thats probably the biggest downside to the "foothold" idea, is that each empire really needs to have relatively the same space in between each other, that is difficult on a rectangular continent, so it limits you a bit.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion