Sniper Skill Tree.....Please include Headshots and Prone - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look at all the Vanu...there all dead!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #226
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: Sniper Skill Tree.....Please include Headshots and Prone

I always found getting a friendly AA max (or skyguard) to camp for anything coming after me to be much more effective than a tailgunner.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-11, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #227
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

A design issue with bombers I believe. Main issue there is that if you went high altitude you got completely owned by AA, while if you didn't you got owned by other aircraft, even if you had a tailgunner. Screwed either way.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-11, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #228
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
I always found getting a friendly AA max (or skyguard) to camp for anything coming after me to be much more effective than a tailgunner.
Or telling the tailgunner to go get into a wasp/mosquito/reaver and cover you that way.
Old 2011-07-11, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #229
Haro
Master Sergeant

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I do need to say that I think one-shot kill headshots wouldn't be that good for any weapons. Introduces a bit of a random factor to the game where a bullet spread might creep up and for no real reason of skill or tactics, you die quickly.

People might abhor this reference, but I like the way 1 game has done headshots: Halo. I'm not counting the halo sniper rifle on this since it's usually not that common, but for weapons like the DMR and the pistol, mid range precision weapons, having headshots that do more damage is a great reward for player skill, but it's not just a one off thing. you don't really get the benefits unless you do it consistently. Odds are that this is probably how headshots will go down, and I'm alright with that.

If they had to include one-shot headshot kills in the game, my idea for that would be either a specific type of ammo, that has limited supply (I'm talking about maybe 5 bullets per sniper, and that's being generous) or a secondary shot that either uses up a huge amount of ammo, or has a long cooldown. The general idea being that if a sniper wants to make a one-shot kill, he needs to make that decision and prioritize it. I think it would better represent a true sniper role of long range destruction of key assets and figures, rather than just long-range harassment. Again, I'd prefer the multiple-shot method, however, simply because as impressive (to me at least) as it would be for a sniper to deliberately find, chose, and eliminate a high-priority target, it would be even more impressive for that to be coordinated by two snipers. Truly badass.

To that end, I'd like to move this topic beyond headshot's and prone (one is confirmed, one denied, that's the end of it) to other possible skills for snipers. I'd personally love to see the recon role of a sniper expanded, as coyote showed in his exquisite masterpieces. It'd be cool to see the old laser pointer from PS1 to be revamped, so people actually use it. Maybe allow snipers to highlight a single target for 10 or 15 seconds to squadmates, either a tank, galaxy, infiltrator, or a general for everything from coordinating snipers to alerting a base about a gal drop. Also, if they try to make artillery work in this game, having a sniper work with that would be great.

Also, one last thing. One game that I LOVED sniping in was Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, a game I pretty much consider to be a smaller, non-sci-fi version of planetside. In that game, shots beyond 300 yards needed windage and drop corrections, if I remember correctly. Could be a very interesting addition to Planetside, but who knows...
Old 2011-07-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #230
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I could count on one hand the amount of times I've come across enemy snipers who were...

- Unflankable
- Not getting shot by other snipers
- Not getting ganked by aircraft
- Not being harassed by cloakers
- Were being a problem (i.e. making a difference to the success of my empire)

The only place in the game I can remember that even being possible was Oro on Searhus.

Havn't u ever sniped from a base?

In bases u dont have to worry about

Cloakers....unless they can actually break thru without being detected with 50 guys in the courtyard, is not gonna happen.

Unflakable.....It depends what base you are exactly but there isn't always better angles to snipe people from, I admit some their is.

Aircrafts...Depends on your base really, if your base is strong with AA etc, there shouldn't be any aircraft ganking you.

Getting shot by other snipers.....This one is probably the 1 that most likely happened but again it doesnt always happen.....I rather just have OSOK so I can get rid of the sniper and go on helping picking off infantry to help out.

I been a sniper in bases...I had heal...I know how easy it was to get sniped and healed yourself........Not saying I was unkillable just that it was a very cheap move.

OSOK will get rid of snipers and let us help kill infantry which I love to do...

Like I said make OSOK for sniper to use against snipers just to make it funner so it won't ruin you game play
Old 2011-07-11, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #231
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Planetside View Post
OSOK will get rid of snipers and let us help kill infantry which I love to do...
That's awfully selfish, and it won't get rid of snipers it will make everyone spec it :/
Old 2011-07-11, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #232
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Planetside View Post
Stuff
The point was, that the chances of ALL those happening at once was incredibly small. Of course I forgot to include liberators, tanks, flails and scorpions too.

And I'm pretty sure every base is flankable if you land on the right tree, but still, if you can't get a good angle then you wait for an allied sniper to shoot your target, or you move out of LOS of the enemy snipers. If an enemy sniper has...

- AA support
- Anti-cloaker support (a decent cloaker can have free-reign in a CY unless someone's doing DL patrols)
- A position that's unflankable on the ground
- Doesn't have more than one person shooting them

...and you can't drop into a tree without being noticed? That sniper deserves being a hard target. In which case, you take down one of his pillars of support to create an opening.

I feel like I'm tutoring sniping here.
Old 2011-07-11, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #233
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
That's awfully selfish, and it won't get rid of snipers it will make everyone spec it :/
You see it will remove snipers because more snipers will snipe to snipe other snipers in the head because its a one shot kill, then more snipers will snipe to kill those snipers easily

Oh my god, his logic, infinite loop

BZZZZT...FATAL ERROR.....
Old 2011-07-11, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #234
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

This subject is fucking retarded.

Still.
Old 2011-07-11, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #235
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
The point was, that the chances of ALL those happening at once was incredibly small. Of course I forgot to include liberators, tanks, flails and scorpions too.

And I'm pretty sure every base is flankable if you land on the right tree, but still, if you can't get a good angle then you wait for an allied sniper to shoot your target, or you move out of LOS of the enemy snipers. If an enemy sniper has...

- AA support
- Anti-cloaker support (a decent cloaker can have free-reign in a CY unless someone's doing DL patrols)
- A position that's unflankable on the ground
- Doesn't have more than one person shooting them

...and you can't drop into a tree without being noticed? That sniper deserves being a hard target. In which case, you take down one of his pillars of support to create an opening.

I feel like I'm tutoring sniping here.

Most people don't do that....I used to snipe from basses.....Most of the time is save haven, u just harrass snipers and either kill or weak infantry.

I know snipers can die...Thing is most of the time from my experience, if you were in base, and ur base still had lots of troops fighting, it will be hard to flank, or do anything remotely to kill you......basically you will have some harasser snipers and u will just heal yourself.

Not saying you can't kill snipers...You can but in some circumstances I felt like I could just heal my self each time I got shot and nothing could happen to me.

Meanwhile I just continue shooting/killing regular soldiers...while I got harassed once in a while...pretty much easy to be a sniper for me.

If headshots were included, atleast for snipers against snipers I wouldn't be able to kill infantry men.
Old 2011-07-11, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #236
Coyote
Private

If there are snipers, and they 1-shot kill abuncha people so they get pissed off and spec counter-sniper (which is actually a sniper) and they go and be snipers to shoot the other snipers who are trying now to shoot the counter-snipers....

Whos going to be left to capture the base?.... Or pilot the vehicles?.... Or do anything?

We all need to realize that the pool of available infantry at any given time is finite. To say that infantry would become nonexistent in face of snipers is obviously rubbish. But to say that fireteams, squads, platoons, companies, they would be hampered by the "lone wolf" attitude of the sniper, one more sniper means one less contributing member of the team.

Snipers are horrendously selfish classes. Lets just be honest here. The mentality of the "normal" sniper in video games is to get kills. That is all. Rarely do snipers do actual Recon work. Rarely do snipers actually contribute to the cause, rarely do snipers allow the battle to progress (hey if the fighting stops here that means I have to move to find other people to shoot, thats not good).

So all this talk of sniper-counter-sniper... we're forgetting that the actual sniper role is supposed to be a few people out there giving us grunts, tankers, flyboys, and Seabees information on what the hell is going on in the big picture.

As soon as you loose that mentality, and change it to "I will kill the enemy thus making me win", the game as a whole looses.

EDIT: I am full aware that Planetside snipers are not like what I have just described. I am talking the what-ifs of the future.

Last edited by Coyote; 2011-07-11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 2011-07-13, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #237
Dreamcast
Major

The indications is that their might be in.....I hope so but like I said make them hard to use....
Old 2011-07-13, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #238
Vancha
Colonel

Why would you ever bump this atrocity?

Yes, they're in. We know they're in...but we don't know in what form. They might not even be extra damage, but instead cause a blur effect or something. Either way, use the other headshot thread. This one just needs to go away. Forever.
Old 2011-07-13, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #239
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Image courtesy of The Oatmeal. Quote courtesy of Planetside aka Dreamcast. Well, almost all of it.

Old 2011-07-13, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #240
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Image courtesy of The Oatmeal. Quote courtesy of Planetside aka Dreamcast. Well, almost all of it.

Headshots are in.....umud?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion