The Return of BFRs??? - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: Fear of long words.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-14, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #166
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: The Return of BFRs???

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Ok so for arguments sake, let's scrap the return of BFR's.......now what??

What is the new scifi battle platform to compete in vehicle combat that you would like see implemented into the game???
simple, change part of the games formula - Who says we have to always fight on land based continents, heck even just Planetside based ones. If water is such a huge headache for Forgelight then go up, *Looks up at the night sky* my, my what potential we have up there for new sci-fi combined arms combat zones of all sorts porpotions, that not only will be new but also won't carry that stigma.

Here on Earth land based armies ruling the roost gave way to navies which gave way to airforces.... "He who controls the Mesosphere controls the world"

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-14, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
AThreatToYou
Major

Yeah I'd rather have space combat. Ship-to-ship boarding, orbital space station assaults, etc.

i think that'd be a good compromise on Outfit-owned facilities:
Outfits can own a (generally small) ship. it's the equivalent of your typical MMO's "group property" so it can be customized to be all flash and still have some bang.
the outfit leaders could like, order it to move over a continent to make outfit resources available from the ship, such as orbital bombardment or a mass drop-pod order.
if they are over a contested continent, however, the enemy can fly in and disable the bay shields, and then land inside and disable the vehicle. The owning outfit can have an impenetrable spawn-room in it, but with a long spawn timer (30 seconds).

Instanced ships that exist in their own programming space would seem easier to make than outfits having a foothold on the ground.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-05-14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2013-05-14, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
Here on Earth land based armies ruling the roost gave way to navies which gave way to airforces.... "He who controls the Mesosphere controls the world"
A little offtopic:
In words of Cabal from TibSun: "Subterranian units detected"

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-14, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Yeah I'd rather have space combat. Ship-to-ship boarding, orbital space station assaults, etc.

i think that'd be a good compromise on Outfit-owned facilities:
Outfits can own a (generally small) ship. it's the equivalent of your typical MMO's "group property" so it can be customized to be all flash and still have some bang.
the outfit leaders could like, order it to move over a continent to make outfit resources available from the ship, such as orbital bombardment or a mass drop-pod order.
if they are over a contested continent, however, the enemy can fly in and disable the bay shields, and then land inside and disable the vehicle. The owning outfit can have an impenetrable spawn-room in it, but with a long spawn timer (30 seconds).

Instanced ships that exist in their own programming space would seem easier to make than outfits having a foothold on the ground.
indeed or if they want to have a semi-planetside style they've already developed you could have an orbiting asteroid that's tidal locked to the planet or moon bases.

Surface area for modified vehicle and infantry fighting but being in space you can mess with the gravity settings

Bases above and below the surface for infantry battles

and all that space around for ship fighting, from the small fighters to larger corvett and frigate size multi crew ships.

or

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-05-14 at 10:27 AM.
Old 2013-05-14, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #170
Shogun
Contributor
General

like this?

in ps1, the caves were introduced to have something with a totally different battleflow.
something like zero gravity space combat would take that role and would certainly be more fun than ziplines or bfrs, while still delivering to scifi fans

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-14, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

My goodness I would love to see space combat. The way I imagined it would tie all of the different servers together into one seemless auraxian universe. The fighting would be rediculous. The amount of money soe could make from the customisations would be over the top. This can certainly happen but it would take a lot of work and is several years away.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
like this?

Shattered Horizon Zero Gravity Trailer [HD] - YouTube

in ps1, the caves were introduced to have something with a totally different battleflow.
something like zero gravity space combat would take that role and would certainly be more fun than ziplines or bfrs, while still delivering to scifi fans
I had considered just linking SH video as a idea but I wanted to steer clear of things that make it to tough to code and balance, SH is primarily a FPS without the combined arms element, which is why I suggested having places with some gravity as well as the dev's not having to code an entire new game system, even though it would kewl.
that said you could have spots with zero G if it's not to hard to make. Would also retain the uniqueness of the current classes... unless they come up with an entire NEW set of classes just for space.... hmmmmmmmm.

Also with the idea of Moon bases & Asteroid bases you could have chunks of rock floating in space, something to keep those fly boys on their toes and not a smeared across the cosmos heh.

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-05-14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2013-05-14, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
This can certainly happen but it would take a lot of work and is several years away.
very true, just wanted to steer them away the idea of silly land based units that ruin games is the idea, give them something else to chew over so they don't get bored.

Old 2013-05-14, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

I think we are all open to and would love changing the environments we fight in from Araxian continents of varied terrain, giant battle ships on water or in the air, space battles inside and out of giant ships or on a moon....but environment aside.....

The OP is a discussion on BFRs, if they are not putting BFR's in PS2 what other vehicles can we make a case for? (environments aside)
Old 2013-05-14, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

I imagine DUST 514 might have been called Planetside. It's kind of a strange name, Planetside. It suggests that being planetside is secondary to being in space or something, when the entire game is planetside. It's kind of redundant. Would make far more sense as the name for Eve's land based son.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2013-05-14 at 01:41 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion