News: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit! - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vini, Vidi, Vici
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #271
Tikuto
Major

Re: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit!

I see questions in-game arising:
"WTF I SHOT HIM IN HEAD HE SHOULD BE DEAD!?!?!"
with most weapons.

The clarification may be clear but, honestly, it's still fucking shit.

NO OSOK HEADSHOTS.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-07-14, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #272
Masahiko
Private

Bonus head-shot damage could come like everything else that is specialized in the game. Like they keep saying, when you specialize in one thing in the game you become really good at that. Allowing every day one sniper to have OSOK would be awful.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #273
Kran De Loy
Captain

Having a fully specialized sniper with all the passive certs like (I'm gonna just throw up some ideas here): +Stability, +Accuracy, +Bullet Speed, -Scope Time, +Scope Zoom/Toggle Scope Zoom, +Weapon Damage, +Ammo Effectiveness, +Specialized Ammo, +Ammo Capacity and having an active ability on some 45s cooldown that tightens up their aim for a brief time (8 seconds) for a single shot only would be pretty cool as long as the kill isn't OSOK on anything except an Agility suit's helmet or having a similar active ability on a 2 or 3 minute cooldown that increases damage by 5% or HS damage by 25% would be fine.

Having these abilities in combination with natural Headshot damage has a major potential being too much tho.

Another ability that could go on long cool down, a normal round that does -10% damage, but disorientates the victim. Screen gets a little blurry for a half second and they stumble a bit somewhere between a walk and a run for about 2 seconds or so.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2011-07-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #274
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Damage should not be determined by a roll of the dice.
This is why I like tabletop BattleTech. If my Gauss Rifle hits you, you're taking damage. Not a percentage of what it can do, you're taking the full damage.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
Uberculosis
Private

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
I see questions in-game arising:
"WTF I SHOT HIM IN HEAD HE SHOULD BE DEAD!?!?!"
with most weapons.

The clarification may be clear but, honestly, it's still fucking shit.

NO OSOK HEADSHOTS.

Why? How is a OSOK headshot different than:

Being run over by a vehicle
Turning a corner and getting boomer'd
Getting corner-looked by a guy camping a staircase with HA
Direct hit by tank round
Getting bombed
getting OS'd
Engaging a HA foe without HA
Running into a anti-personnel MAX
AMP'd by a cloaker
Minefield

and the other entries in Planetside's robust library of instantaneous death. Matter of fact, I'd honestly prefer getting shot in the face by a guy who can aim rather than dying in any of the above ways.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
Bags
Lieutenant General

>List a bunch of methods that include aiming
>"I want to die to people who aim"

?_?
Old 2011-07-14, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
Uberculosis
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post

?_?
Hitting a head from ~300 meters is aiming. Driving into a relatively stationary target(guy on foot) is not.

The only thing I listed that I genuinely wouldn't be offended by is the DH tank shot, and there likely wont be an icon to distinguish that.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Uberculosis View Post
Why? How is a OSOK headshot different than:

Being run over by a vehicle
Turning a corner and getting boomer'd
Getting corner-looked by a guy camping a staircase with HA
Direct hit by tank round
Getting bombed
getting OS'd
Engaging a HA foe without HA
Running into a anti-personnel MAX
AMP'd by a cloaker
Minefield
The difference is in all of those situations you have a chance to react, except maybe the boomer around a corner and the unlucky tank shell to the face.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
The difference is in all of those situations you have a chance to react, except maybe the boomer around a corner and the unlucky tank shell to the face.
Actually, you really don't have time to react in those situations. You may have time to crap your pants, but I don't think that's the "reaction" you meant.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Actually, you really don't have time to react in those situations. You may have time to crap your pants, but I don't think that's the "reaction" you meant.
Really? So you've never managed to run away from the OS and when you see a minefield you speed up and close your eyes?
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-14, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post

?_?
Because shooting someone in the head requires less aiming than any of these other methods...

FFS listen to yourselves.

You simply can't use "it doesn't require skill or aiming" arguments against location damage, It's hypocritical.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Really? So you've never managed to run away from the OS and when you see a minefield you speed up and close your eyes?
Sure, if you're towards the edge of an OS it's avoidable. If you are towards the middle, don't bother running, you'll just die tired. And sure, minefields are avoidable IF you can anticipate where they are like a bridge and slow down. If you run into a minefield at full speed you didn't anticipate, if you arn't in a MBT or AMS, then you are toast.

In theory anything is avoidable with the right preparation, including OSOK sniper headshots. In practice, in PS1 now, there are alot of ways to die instantly. Maybe you are just that 1 really good or lucky guy that those things don't happen to though.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
Volw
First Sergeant

Sure, if you're towards the edge of an OS it's avoidable. If you are towards the middle, don't bother running, you'll just die tired. And sure, minefields are avoidable IF you can anticipate where they are like a bridge and slow down. If you run into a minefield at full speed you didn't anticipate, if you arn't in a MBT or AMS, then you are toast.

In theory anything is avoidable with the right preparation, including OSOK sniper headshots. In practice, in PS1 now, there are alot of ways to die instantly. Maybe you are just that 1 really good or lucky guy that those things don't happen to though.
Are you sure we're playing the same game? I die to maybe 1/10 OS. Don't remember when was the last time minefield killed me (unless I'm in wrath/fury).

Also, both give you an ample warning. What warning do you get when you spawn and instantly die? Also OS is on a timer and minefields require much more time to set up than just zooming in the scope.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-14, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #284
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Are you sure we're playing the same game? I die to maybe 1/10 OS.
I'm not going to debate with somebody who thinks they are immune to an OS.

That short list that Uberculosis layed out is a pretty good short list of situations where you lost before you even try to fire a shot. You may still get that shot off like in fighting a stairway 3rd person wall humper, but you are still going to lose.

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-07-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #285
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

That short list that Uberculosis layed out a pretty good short list of situations where you lost before you even try to fire a shot. You may still get that shot off like in fighting a stairway 3rd person wall humper, but you are still going to lose.
But you had a chance, however slim, and that's the difference he asked about. The fact that in a lot of cases it's not even as slim as you make it out to be is beside the point.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion