News: SOE announces Alpha Squad - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's where to be when not playing PlanetSide.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-07, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
bjorntju1
Captain

Re: Beta access with alpha squad

Cool! Will purchase when available! With that 4000 SC added I have a total of 14000SC. I think that should last me awhile
Old 2012-09-07, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

It's still Pay 2 Win if you're talking about unlocking items that give you the ability to compete that you cannot have without them, because then the people that pay to unlock those options will win against people who do not. Right now we do have unlockables that fall into that category, most specifically pretty much all AA weapons, as well as AtG weapons on the aircraft.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

How about we simplify this discussion, you can either try the game for free or buy it for $39.99.

Would you not lay down $39.99 for a game you wanted to play?
Old 2012-09-07, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Ragnafrak
Corporal

Everyone except 1 guy is in agreement about the definition of p2w.

Btw- A2G and A2A missiles seem to have gotten a huge nerf this morning.

I've already got 7500 SC, plus another 7500 SC coming from the FB app soon, I hope. .. this'll make.. 19000 SC? sheesh
Old 2012-09-07, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

But I already have 3,000 SC. What am I going to do with 7,000 SC? That's a lot of Broker Tokens in EQ2 lol...

Incidentally, I agree that it is pay2win in terms of the "5 minute player being on the same footing as the 5 year player" - oh yeah, sure, if that 5 minute player drops $100 on the game he will be...

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-09-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Galron
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by CrankyTRex View Post
It's still Pay 2 Win if you're talking about unlocking items that give you the ability to compete that you cannot have without them, because then the people that pay to unlock those options will win against people who do not. Right now we do have unlockables that fall into that category, most specifically pretty much all AA weapons, as well as AtG weapons on the aircraft.
Which you can all unlock for free if you are so inclined != pay to win.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

2 things:

1. For those worried about the "over powered" weapons, Beta is far from over and things will be balanced.

2. I'm wondering about the Booster Implant that is offered. It lasts 6 months. Will we have to have it slotted the whole time, or will we be able to swap it out and not lose it?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-09-07, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Im assuming it can be swapped, I sometimes will buy both the Dex III implant and Transport vehicle one and swap them out when necessary. Now as soon as you activate it the timer will count down even when not in use.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Ragnafrak
Corporal

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Incidentally, I agree that it is pay2win in terms of the "5 minute player being on the same footing as the 5 year player" - oh yeah, sure, if that 5 minute player drops $100 on the game he will be...
Don't take that out of context. The idea there is that if a 5-minute player gets the drop on a 5-year player, he's still got just as good a chance of knocking him out as would anyone else. TTK on infantry isn't very high.

And remember, buying new gear has trade offs, it always does. There haven't really been any examples of this for inf weapons yet, but to use MAX's as an example, people complain about scattermax's because they can unload all of their ammo into a guy superfast at close range, but anything outside 50 meters and they've got trouble.

There are currently certable abilities in the game that improve survivability by allowing you to have slightly stronger armor/shields/health regen, but you can only ever use one at a time, an the difference is not very noticeable.
Old 2012-09-07, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

sunrock is stupid, there's no changing his mind, leave him be. ken would be sad.
Old 2012-09-07, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
zzzornbringer
Private

40 bucks is kinda massive.
Old 2012-09-07, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ragnafrak View Post
Don't take that out of context. The idea there is that if a 5-minute player gets the drop on a 5-year player, he's still got just as good a chance of knocking him out as would anyone else. TTK on infantry isn't very high.

And remember, buying new gear has trade offs, it always does. There haven't really been any examples of this for inf weapons yet, but to use MAX's as an example, people complain about scattermax's because they can unload all of their ammo into a guy superfast at close range, but anything outside 50 meters and they've got trouble.

There are currently certable abilities in the game that improve survivability by allowing you to have slightly stronger armor/shields/health regen, but you can only ever use one at a time, an the difference is not very noticeable.
There's a song for what you are doing,
Old 2012-09-07, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
SaeS
Private

As long as you can get the same weapons by just playing the game (grinding), it's not P2W, just paying for time and I'm totally fine with that.
Old 2012-09-07, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Ragnafrak
Corporal

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
There's a song for what you are doing,
tl;dl

I wonder if there were enough suggestions for a physical product component to the founder's pack that this won't be the only version of it.

http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad just changed from 404 to "Under Maintenance".
Old 2012-09-07, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Galron View Post
Which you can all unlock for free if you are so inclined != pay to win.
Simply making things unlockable over time does not erase the pay 2 win. If paying gives you a significant competitive advantage in the game, then it's still pay 2 win.

This problem is easily solved by making sure that things that can give you a competitive advantage, such as base-level air to air missiles or AA on vehicles are either already unlocked or not eligible for paid increase in unlocking.

Either that or you'd have to restrict people from unlocking more things than they could by playing for the same amount of time, and I seriously doubt that anyone wants that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion