Planetside: Single Player Campaign Story Mode - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please insert disk 2
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-31, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Re: Planetside: Single Player Campaign Story Mode

Abso-fucking-lutely! I also want to hunt DRAGONS!
Old 2012-03-31, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Lol wow so much hate for my ideals I always ask the questions no one ever asks haha oo well I've have my shotgun ready for you
There is a reason that no one suggests the ideas you have: They're god damn awful
Old 2012-03-31, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Duddy
First Sergeant

I certainly don't think there should be a single player campaign, seems contrary to the core of the game.

I would however, see value in an very short "campaign" that was actually more akin to "offline training".

Something like that could introduce players to the empires and concepts of the game prior to playing live.
Old 2012-03-31, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't know if the original PS training was offline, but it was certainly not on the regular servers. I don't think anyone made use of it so SOE removed it and later put in the training missions you can do in sanc. I never bother with training stuff as I like to learn on my own. Everyone has a different approach of course.
Old 2012-03-31, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I've actually thought about this a lot. Planet side is an IP for SOE. There's no reason they couldn't expand the franchise once PS2 becomes a success. A modern cinematic FPS experience in the PS universe would be really cool, and wouldn't have to detract from the MMOFPS in the slightest. I never posted the idea myself because I knew it would get this exact reaction.
Old 2012-03-31, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If SOE ever wanted to do a shoot off of the game and have a single player aspect afterwards that is plausible. Even if the game was done people would still think the game should be getting more attention then a SP one. Besides when SOE is done with PS2, I am sure EQ Next is going to be their next project going full steam.
Old 2012-03-31, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
LancerNC
Private

Having a small sp mission to explain the conflict and give meaning to why each empire is fighting would not detract from the mmofps aspect of the gameplay, its purpose would be to explain the conflict, not offer some great single player fps experience. Nobody would spend their time replaying the single player mission. While I would prefer ps2 to spend their time developing the mmofps aspects of the game, I don't think its a terrible idea.
Old 2012-03-31, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by LancerNC View Post
Having a small sp mission to explain the conflict and give meaning to why each empire is fighting would not detract from the mmofps aspect of the gameplay, its purpose would be to explain the conflict, not offer some great single player fps experience. Nobody would spend their time replaying the single player mission. While I would prefer ps2 to spend their time developing the mmofps aspects of the game, I don't think its a terrible idea.
I think the counter argument to having it only describe the scenario/conflict is "why couldn't you just do that with a video?"

Which would potentially be a response to my earlier post also.

I would suggest however, that the best learning you do is when you're not actively told you're doing it.
Old 2012-03-31, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Bazilx
First Sergeant

I think this single player idea could work really well with the introduction of BFR's as main characters. Maybe each factions BFR could be controlled in the single player campaign, gathering special abilities and weapons to use on your multiplayer BFR released at the same time.
Old 2012-03-31, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

I can see single player working as some sort of VR training thing, in the greater sense of Planetside as an mmofps I don't think it fits in any other way, gameplay is all supposed to be emergent as part of the player versus player world. Players ARE the world. As soon as you add single player you're making single player the lore and world of planetside and making multiplayer the multiplayer version of that single player lore and story, which I think in a sense degrades what Planetside is.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-31, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
NCLynx
Major

PS2 will be released with a single player and co-op mode for those of you who didn't already know. Just don't squad with people or only squad with one friend. The enemies in said campaign mode? Well they're played by other humans, making it the best campaign mode ever. What does it consist of? Well you have to capture and hold all the enemies territory, I guarantee you'll never beat it.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-03-31, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Graywolves
General

Make an RP server.

Player ran campaign.
Old 2012-03-31, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Skittles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
I think this single player idea could work really well with the introduction of BFR's as main characters. Maybe each factions BFR could be controlled in the single player campaign, gathering special abilities and weapons to use on your multiplayer BFR released at the same time.

ABSO---FUCKING--LUTELY

Best thread combo EVAH.

Single player, BFRs, throw in plasma, a flail as a mode of transportation. Boomers through the floors of bases. Every one gets a side-kick in the game that comes in as a switchblade at their release strength and follows you around to keep bad guys off you, and a phantasm with its nose gun!!

OMG

We've hit this sucker out of the ball park!!

little tribute to baseballs opening day
Old 2012-03-31, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

The single-player content needs to cost $60 to access, so it will be comparable to other single-player games.

Finished.
Old 2012-03-31, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Neksar
Corporal

Let me begin my response by making one thing perfectly clear: I like this idea.

That said, I'd like to point out that it isn't something that Planetside 2 needs right now. The developers plan on adding content as time goes on, and I think that a short single-player thing would be best left as something they tack on post-launch as a tutorial. That's how Section 8 did its single-player campaign, and I think it's a good model for a multiplayer-oriented game.

A short single-player campaign would be good as a tutorial as long as it's done post-launch, once they've saturated the game with all the multiplayer content they want to add. Pre-launch is just a bad time to bring it up on the forums.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion