"Janky" Animations - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Purrfectstorm is sexy!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-28, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
HiroshiChugi
Captain

"Janky" Animations

Not only does this include the leaning while strafing, but I've also noticed that the gun movement while looking around does not match up with the body movement in first person mode (or the other way around). Has anybody else noticed this yet or anything else?
Old 2013-05-28, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Re: "Janky" Animations

You mean the way you tilt your gun when turning around? I think that's intentional. Do you mean a specific aspect of it?
Old 2013-05-28, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
You mean the way you tilt your gun when turning around? I think that's intentional. Do you mean a specific aspect of it?
No, I mean when you turn your body, your gun doesn't look like it's being held by your hand... It somewhat (dissolves?) into it then catches back up and sits in your hand. Even the C4 detonator does it. (Try moving your mouse up and down while equipping it )
Old 2013-05-28, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Noticed this as well the gun bob doesn't look matched to the player skeleton waypoints and looks like its jangling mid-air out of sync. More noticeable on pistols and utility guns - makes things feel very "floaty".
Also player animations when running/sprinting all seem to look like they're running up hill with an odd tilt to them - think they were going for that "hunker-dash under fire" look but it didn't quite translate.
Old 2013-05-28, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
Noticed this as well the gun bob doesn't look matched to the player skeleton waypoints and looks like its jangling mid-air out of sync. More noticeable on pistols and utility guns - makes things feel very "floaty".
Also player animations when running/sprinting all seem to look like they're running up hill with an odd tilt to them - think they were going for that "hunker-dash under fire" look but it didn't quite translate.
^This. This is what I meant.
Old 2013-05-28, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
KodanBlack
Sergeant

What I absolutely hate is when another player shoots me while his/her gun is pointing in another direction. I know it's most likely a lag issue, but it drives me batty
Old 2013-05-28, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Galron
Staff Sergeant

I have noticed that when on a slight angle infantry will render to that sideways angle. Auraxis dwellers look like they have no functional ankles. Nanites responsible I guess.
Old 2013-05-28, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by KodanBlack View Post
What I absolutely hate is when another player shoots me while his/her gun is pointing in another direction. I know it's most likely a lag issue, but it drives me batty
Yeah, when I get killed by that guy who's looking away from me 45 degrees sideways and 90 degrees downwards. He's basically shooting the ground 5 feet from me. And I fall out of the air, dead. (I played LA in this example)
Old 2013-05-28, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

I noticed the left hand is out of sync with the weapon model. It sort of trailing behind it whenever you look around

As for the leaning, I can only assume they're trying to give character movement more weight behind it. I like it. BF3 does something similar, the body leans slightly in the direction the player turns.
This is good as it gives characters more liveliness and realism, but it's obvious they're not quite there yet.

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2013-05-28 at 12:57 PM.
Old 2013-05-28, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dragonskin
Major

The commisioner and VS S1 rocket launcher get out of sync a lot in reload animations. The commisioner will appear to have 2 floating half cylinders that seem to float into place as the reload animation finishes. The S1 kinda does that same thing.. some weird circle motion before floating into its battery socket. That's all better than the guns getting stuck in reload animation so that you end up looking like your gun is off to the right side at a weird angle and when you ADS you are looking at open air with cross hairs.

I've also seen some of those tank turrets spinning around crazy.. mostly on the lightnings, but sometimes on the prowler or vanguard too.

Hopefully they will polish these little animation bugs out, but they can be annoying in a otherwise good looking game.
Old 2013-05-28, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AThreatToYou
Major

Yeah, these "floaty" aka shitty animations were... "added" in GU09. I hope its a bug because it looks awful.

Talking about 1st person here.
Old 2013-05-29, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
The commisioner and VS S1 rocket launcher get out of sync a lot in reload animations. The commisioner will appear to have 2 floating half cylinders that seem to float into place as the reload animation finishes. The S1 kinda does that same thing.. some weird circle motion before floating into its battery socket. That's all better than the guns getting stuck in reload animation so that you end up looking like your gun is off to the right side at a weird angle and when you ADS you are looking at open air with cross hairs.

I've also seen some of those tank turrets spinning around crazy.. mostly on the lightnings, but sometimes on the prowler or vanguard too.

Hopefully they will polish these little animation bugs out, but they can be annoying in a otherwise good looking game.
Try knifing someone halfway during the reload. What happens after is weird. Also, if you're bringing your weapon out (used an SMG here) after knifing, and you knife again before you're done, your weapon will be fully out instantly, but you won't be able to use it for a short time... as if you were still pulling it out.
Old 2013-05-29, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I noticed that the guy doesn't hold the handlebars on the Flash correctly anymore. Possibly leans more forward now too.

People seem to run at an angle now sometimes, although i'm not sure what triggers the change in the animation. I would expect that it is for when the model is turning while sprinting, but it doesn't seem to relate to that.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-05-29, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
martingee
Private

With the first person left hand not following the gun i suspect it has something to do with the IK (inverse kinematics).

In game engines you can clamp the hand to objects and have the arm solve itself so it looks natural. To me the IK looks out of sync, like its possibly a frame or two behind; it tends to line up at rest iirc.

The Flash anims could be related except i'm not sure why they get pulled towards the centre of the handle bars during movement and look about right at rest. It could be because they're blending between anims for the different steering poses and over laying them on an idle anim, the IK would hold the hands in place throughout but if thats bugged then they aren't. Before you may have noticed the arms hyper extending at extreme steering angles which would have been caused by the IK as the arms tried to reach thier solving position.

The characters odd lean during strafe is possibly due to how they've implemented the leaning during normal running. The code maybe getting mixed up and blending the lean with the normal strafe anims. This could be code related or in the anim trees/states (how anims are blended and relate to each other) or both.

There's possible 2-3 bugs that are fixable but aren't game breaking so would be classed as 'C' and at most 'B' bugs imo. Unless they sneak them in a hotfix i would have thought they'd get fixed in the next game update.

edit: actually the first person anims mybe just out of sync between the left and right arm. I noticed when i reloaded my ML-7(?) that the anim is out of sync and the chamber slider doesn't sync with the hand and you can brieffly see the shell poking through after its put in the chamber.

Last edited by martingee; 2013-05-29 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
RANDOMpercent
Private

I found this most noticeable with med-kits. It isn't even in your hand if your sprinting.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion