Spawns DESPERATELY need a redesign... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm so confused.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-05, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Re: Spawns DESPERATELY need a redesign...

+1

Spawn camping is one of the major "negatives" for me at the moment, both from the point of view of the attacker and the defender.

Edit - It is more frustrating for the attackers really; if the battle is truely lost, the defenders can always redeploy somewhere more useful and save themselves the trouble. The attackers are forced to camp to ensure that the capture succeeds, and they are encouraged to do so by the base capture XP reward.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-06-05 at 07:58 AM.
Old 2013-06-05, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Dreamcast
Major

Well the underground bases in Planetside 1 will be great in Planetside 2.

The only problem I see is the underground bases will be too small and revolve over a damn doorway.....I will hate that.

But I doubt they will ever change it anytime soon, too much work.
Old 2013-06-05, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post

The only problem I see is the underground bases will be too small and revolve over a damn doorway.....I will hate that.

Alot of work I can agree on but the spawn rooms that are currently on Live would make a great "surface structure" - take away the door shields and it opens up to be useful as an entrance/exit building to the network.
Old 2013-06-05, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
ringring
Contributor
General

You're assuming that we can have underground bases and we've seen no evidence of that.

We have seen the changes on Esamir PST though.... are you judging your criticisms bases on the outposts and bases on Live or on PST Esamir?
Old 2013-06-05, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rolfski
Major

It's not only the horrible spawn design. It's that design combined with a stat and XP system that promotes kill farming, not teamwork/objective play that's causing all the issues.
Old 2013-06-05, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
pshaw!

it's the end result of a fight.
Endings shouldn't last 10 minutes if the fight lasts 2.
Old 2013-06-05, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post

Design could, would and should be different. It might be cramped, but it wouldn't be AS CRAMPED as a box.
Old 2013-06-05, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
TartarosCZ
Private

It's actually funny when you think of how they made bases that look gigantic from the outside, yet are actually smaller inside - maybe not in square meters but definitely in their infantry combat utilization.

In Ps1 there were corridors and stairs where you had to bitterly fight over each meter of progress, while in PS2 one LA can fly over the whole thing in five seconds.
Boredom ensues.

Last edited by TartarosCZ; 2013-06-05 at 11:41 AM.
Old 2013-06-05, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
ya but whats to stop people from purposely farming people rather then destroying the tubes like your suppose to? its just a simple question in fact i remember plenty of times i got farmed in ps1 with that same method.
Good questions and if no one has answered it yet let me say that if there destructable then there worth XP believe me someone will blow it for the xp value.

Now if I recall the reason the Dev's put the spawn tubes above ground is because they felt that fights in small hallways was no fun and that they wanted the battle to be in the open, I think they misread how we the gamers, the sub, the people who finacially support the game felt about underground spawns. We loved the close quarters battles (well I did), Defending the base till the last tube was destroyed. I say remove the SCU and give us our underground close quarters fights. I mean with most of the larger stations they can just place the spawn tubes inside the building, work them into the faculity's placing them a short distance below the main floor, give them some hit points and let the gamers go at it. As far as the bio lab, yea they can camp those but there are two ways to port into a base not to mention the lift pads outside. So I agree with most gamers when they say sitting in front of a spawn room with a tank aimed at the shields is quite boring waiting for the base to flip, also spawning in a spawn room with a tank or missle blasting doesnt give much of a chance of taking back the base. So I for one am with redesigning the spawn boxes.
Old 2013-06-05, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
AThreatToYou
Major

If they put spawns underground, ideally, the hallways would be much larger.
Multiple small entrances on the same face of an exit would block enemies from bringing vehicles inside.
The doors would have a back-face and horizontal exits to block vehicles from shooting into the spawns. This way the underground tunnel does not need to be curved or turned in the case of outposts and smaller bases.
[Back-face: The doors have a wall immediately behind them that blocks fire. This would be inside the tunnel.]
The tunnel would be rather large. Large enough for a LA's jetpack to be of some use; perhaps some air ventilation ducts that only LA's can escape from or flank enemies inside the tunnel with.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Oh hell yes. Spawn camping in this game is out of control. It's even worse with the lattice because you usually have to cap that point before you move on and there are so many people crammed into one place that it can stalemate even though it's abundantly clear the attackers have won.

The simplest change I can see being made is to make each capture point linked directly to a spawn room that changes sides with the capture point.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Endings shouldn't last 10 minutes if the fight lasts 2.
This, The fight should be over when the base is captured. Not 10 minutes before that. It isn't really fun camping the spawn for 10 minutes hoping someone sticks their head out.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
Good questions and if no one has answered it yet let me say that if there destructable then there worth XP believe me someone will blow it for the xp value.

Now if I recall the reason the Dev's put the spawn tubes above ground is because they felt that fights in small hallways was no fun and that they wanted the battle to be in the open, I think they misread how we the gamers, the sub, the people who finacially support the game felt about underground spawns. We loved the close quarters battles (well I did), Defending the base till the last tube was destroyed. I say remove the SCU and give us our underground close quarters fights. I mean with most of the larger stations they can just place the spawn tubes inside the building, work them into the faculity's placing them a short distance below the main floor, give them some hit points and let the gamers go at it. As far as the bio lab, yea they can camp those but there are two ways to port into a base not to mention the lift pads outside. So I agree with most gamers when they say sitting in front of a spawn room with a tank aimed at the shields is quite boring waiting for the base to flip, also spawning in a spawn room with a tank or missle blasting doesnt give much of a chance of taking back the base. So I for one am with redesigning the spawn boxes.
+1 I agree, I used to like them. I liked looking down and wondering whether now was the right time to make my push .... followed by 'oh bugger' or not as the case may be.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Figment
Lieutenant General

The main problem for PS1 was gaining entry: doors a bit too small, or too few in number, but that's about it.

The fighting indoors was fine.

The only other problem was trying to get out, since there was no sheltered outdoor buffer zone (like the roofed open areas we have now).
Old 2013-06-05, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Obstruction
First Sergeant

i am not sure why figment's posts are personally directed but i think it detracts from the conversation and makes him look like a fucking prick.

reliance on AMS; players suck; nothing related
farming tubes or whatever version of it you want, spawn building, whatever, sucks. the best and most creative spawns for any maneuver are player positioned. the reliance on the sunderer, and the resource/timer cost involved, is the bottleneck. my evidence is the ingenious use of beacons and squad deploy rotation employed by some groups.

attack by ESF is only a concern if people don't put flak around the AMS, or can't keep their own fighters in the air.

so maybe that's a concern for really bad noobs, i guess.

Last edited by Obstruction; 2013-06-05 at 06:07 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion