What happens when one side starts to win alot? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Enough pancakes to fill your pants!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-22, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sputty
Banned

What happens when one side starts to win alot?

Is it possible that, if one side had a really well planned attack that a huge percentage of one of the 3 sides could lose alot of territory making spawn points less numerous making it harder to defend from a big attack when it'll take 20 minutes(or whatever is a really long spawn time in PS) so they actually lose somehow. One of the races gets a big assault taking a bunch of important bases then, because people want to win alot, many people on the losing side create new characters on the winning side to help in the attack. If this were possible, porbably isn't, would the devs do anything to stop this?
Old 2002-12-22, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
BigHairyJohn
Private

More land you own the more land needed to be defended, If one side owns most the world then it would be easy for another side to take an unguarded area as there won't be that many people defending, also if there are to many players on a side compared to another side then there will be a handicap on the amount of BEPs you get making the othersides more desirable to join for all of those that want to get lots of certs.

"tR sUcKs cAus3 th3Y Sm3LL"
"N3W c0aGulAlaLAtaT3 U SuucK 2 CauZe U Sm3LL w0RsT"
"VaNU S0V > U aLL P00h3Ad5"
Old 2002-12-22, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Delos
Private

that was the problem the Hellinistic rulers had when they inherited Alexander the Great's territory... It was just too big and took way too many people to defend. Same will happen in this game. A Empire might take a very dominating portion of the map, but they couldn't hold it for very long.
Old 2002-12-22, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

What Sputty is talking about is...

What if people all start going to 1 faction. Then that 1 faction would have the numbers to defend all that land. The more 1 faction has over the rest, the more people who don't like to lose will switch to that faction (or new people 1st coming to the game joining the winning side).

So lets say 1 faction has 50% of the population. They are sure to have more bases than the other factions. The game will seem unfair do to always fighting 2 vs 1. Would the GM's do something to change this? Like boost the smaller 2 factions weapons, defence, ect... Once numbers went back to normal, change things back.

In JumpGate, we had a simular problem. What the players did was the 2 smaller factions quit fighting each other, and started only fighting the large faction. But in PS, there is no way to talk to other factions.
Old 2002-12-22, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

If one side did totally dominate, after a while the people on the "winning" side would begin to leave and go to different sides. It's not much fun when every encounter your massive army has with the tiny enemy is resolved in seconds and with you barely getting to attack. No, the situation would resolve itself in time.
Old 2002-12-22, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
�io
Lieutenant General

Ok 2 things.

1-The less land you have the more defense you have, spawn time will stay the same (i imagine) but instead of (small scale) 100 peeps for 10 bases you'll now have 100 peeps for 5 so you can never really lose all your bases.

2-If everybody starts to switch sides and win the devs can limit the number of people switching sides. And they also said that there will be bonuses giving to the losing sides to help prevent switching sides.

I myself prefer to be on the losing team, much more fun.
Old 2002-12-22, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think this game will bounce back and forth allot - however I highly doubt that any empire will ever be choked off to the point where they cant attack effectivly

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-22, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bighoss
General

In DAoC the power and land would constantly switch team's because no one can hold onto for ever. Just look at the real world, everyone falls someday(except America...) and even the problem got way out of hand I'm sure the sony would deal with the problem
Old 2002-12-22, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

Even if one empire does start to dominate all you have to do is just start taking the drop pods in mass waves to the front lines at a single point and have the firepower to take out some bases and start pushing the line back in place. Beside the BEPs will kick in for the the sides who have less territory but if people start switching sides that would ruin the game. I for one like a challenge and hope that something like that does happen so we can fight back and kick some major arse.

Last edited by CDaws; 2002-12-24 at 06:35 PM.
Old 2002-12-23, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Myhouse43
Private

This forum makes my head hurt.

Old 2002-12-23, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Duritz
Staff Sergeant

So lets say 1 faction has 50% of the population. They are sure to have more bases than the other factions. The game will seem unfair do to always fighting 2 vs 1. Would the GM's do something to change this? Like boost the smaller 2 factions weapons, defence, ect... Once numbers went back to normal, change things back
I don't think that this will be a problem simply because of facts of war. If one side has more than the others then of course they are going to have more land, probably about 50% of the whole world, than any of the others, but they aren't going to be able to defeat any of the others because they will be stretching their front. When it comes down to it the bases will still have the same ratios of people because the large side will spread out.

Also, if the large side figures out a way to compact its front line, the other sides simply have to launch medium sized covert attacks on bases in enemy territory to draw forces away from the front line and capture a few useful bases by surprise. I believe that this will be a very viable idea, especially when you attack a base on a continent that they own completely. In this situation, no one is going to want to defend a base as backwater as that. Even if they are ordered to, it won't be a sufficient force to defend against an organized assault.

The only inescapeable fact that I can see as a downfall is that the largest side will be able to launch the largest coordinated assaults. However, I don't think we'll have too much trouble with that.
Old 2002-12-23, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Look, this has a very simple solution. When one side starts to dominate the other two, I shall be declared supreme ruler of planetside (since it will be my faction kicking ass). After which, I will divide up our conquered land among my generals and war heroes and anyone else I like. Once divided again, people will become jealous of those with the land and a civil war will begin, thus giving the factions whose asses we kicked a chance to come back and fight anew.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that greed is all that will save you.

Your Future Supreme Eminence,
mistled

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2002-12-23, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Qanamil_Rafiki
Staff Sergeant

Greed and the nature of land and manpower.
Old 2002-12-23, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
oosik
Sergeant

Sputty,

I seriously doubt that one side will dominate. You have three empires, each empire has a backyard continent that is only 1 warpgate hop away from its Sanctuary, while it is three away from any other Sanctuary. In addition, each continent except Searhus has 4 warpgates, which, if Cyssor is an example, will be spaced along the periphery of each continent. So it would take quite awhile to send major forces to Forseral, the TR backyard, from the NC or Vanu Sanctuary.

In addition, you have somewhere around 170 facilities on the ten continents (if Cyssor is an average with its 17). So you have a lot of territory to defend as you overwhelm more bases, and you will be spread thinner and thinner as you do.
Old 2002-12-23, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sputty
Banned

Hey, BOhica. Greece did the smae thing and look at Greece(No offense to any Greeks out there, although I think they'll be few as recently all video games were banned for some weird reason I forget). Don't split it up if you win between generals. Do it with pawns.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion