Shotguns for Cloakers, I say no, you? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Play with fire, you get burned
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Shotguns for cloakers?
HELL YEAH LET'S DO THIS! 25 19.38%
Okay, cool! 18 13.95%
Wouldn't bother me either way. 36 27.91%
Umm... No. 35 27.13%
WTF. 15 11.63%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-24, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Re: Shotguns for Cloakers, I say no, you?

Originally Posted by VanuVirus View Post
I loved the scatter pistol too, don't get me wrong, but I found it wasn't always the best tool for the job and most of the time I kept a beamer packed on my hip. Scatter-pistol does you no favors once you've been spotted by med or rexo, you're gone. Shotguns I would think would end up just being more of the same thing. Good only vs other ninjas or light armor. There's the costs to think about, still a loud noise, but instead of being concussive and all-encompassing because of the short barrel, now it's focused and tight and somebody will be able to narrow down a more precise direction faster. The kickback on the scatter pistol was minor enough that it didn't throw you off, but it did make you visible enough for just long enough. Is shotgun going to be more of the same racket because of pump-action shotguns, or way less because of auto-shotguns? Where's the shotgun lie on the damage scale compared to the scatter-pistol?
Don't forget, suppressed shotguns. Sweeper is pump action. But also remember that the general lethality of weapons is higher in PS2 as far as we know. We also don't know if medics will be able to self-heal at any decent rate. I think a SG infil would be a good close range version of the "scout rifle" infil they were talking about in the podcast. I'm gussing this will be like a designated marksman rifle in modern military terms.

Also, I don't really WANT any specific weapon/class combo to "own" all others. The shotgun not being ideal for many situations is cool with me, as long as it is good at what it does do.

Last edited by Knightwyvern; 2012-02-24 at 07:52 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
VanuVirus
Private

Originally Posted by Knightwyvern View Post
Don't forget, suppressed shotguns. Sweeper is pump action. But also remember that the general lethality of weapons is higher in PS2 as far as we know. We also don't know if medics will be able to self-heal at any decent rate. I think a SG infil would be a good close range version of the "scout rifle" infil they were talking about in the podcast. I'm gussing this will be like a designated marksman rifle in modern military terms.

Also, I don't really WANT any specific weapon/class combo to "own" all others. The shotgun not being ideal for many situations is cool with me, as long as it is good at what it does do.
Amen.

They did say that there would be multiple models in each class so we can pick and choose, maybe an auto wouldn't be so bad later on once you've gained proficiency with the pump.

Last edited by VanuVirus; 2012-02-24 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
That one noob
Sergeant

Don't see too much of a problem with this as much as I have a problem with cloaked snipers. We gotta remember that the Infiltrator is extremely fragile, and only has the element of surprise as its advantage. Once a regular grunt sees it (via Darklight or some microwave vision or whatever) the infiltrator is pretty much dead. Adding a shotgun just gives it another incentive to get closer. Infiltrators should only be effective on a one-on-one scenario. Plus it shouldn't be a threat if you travel in a squad or with a MAX.

On a somewhat unrelated note, what kind of suppressor are we talking about on the shotgun?
Flash suppressor or muzzle brake? Please no sound suppressors. D:

Last edited by That one noob; 2012-02-24 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I see one thing independent from the weapon-class concept - White background. Or BRIGHT background to be precise. Midday on Esamir will be shotty cloaker's paradise.
Since they are developing the game now, they will be able to make the appropriate modifications to the visibility of the cloaker if/where they are needed.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
VanuVirus
Private

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
Since they are developing the game now, they will be able to make the appropriate modifications to the visibility of the cloaker if/where they are needed.
I was thinking about this too, a partial reveal of the suit from where the sudden motion (and therefore initially-uncorrectable error in the refraction methods of the suit) occurred would be a nice fix for this. That would mean as a cloaker moves along, it's running pattern is expected by the suit, so it's correcting fast enough and keeping them invisible up till a short distance. The instant they pull the trigger though, you know that there's going to be a kickback, but the suit does not, therefore an error in motion correction and a reveal of the suit as it tries to catch up.

Oooo... another upgrade path idea, upgrade-able class armor, like the infil suit can get better with upgrades, better motion correction, extra pistol slot, etc, that would be sweet.

Last edited by VanuVirus; 2012-02-24 at 08:20 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I don't like your poll options. You need, "Let's wait and try it first".
This is where I am on it... They do have sniper rifles, both seem just as odd to me... Lets just see how its implemented relative to everything else...

Lots of stuff I'll speculate on, but these two... I cant seem to get my head around either one yet...
Old 2012-02-24, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Sounds like a pretty terrible idea. All they could think of to make cloakers more useful was to just give them a bigger gun?
Old 2012-02-24, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Myomoto
Private

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Sounds like a pretty terrible idea. All they could think of to make cloakers more useful was to just give them a bigger gun?
Would you rather they just give them a bigger knife? To me it generally just sounds like the general 'I'm a vulnerable but invisible character that can kill you easily in close quarters combat'-archetype.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
CutterJohn
Colonel

I am going to say it will be fine, on the assumption that, like the sniper rifle, having a shotgun makes the cloak less effective.

I think you should only be able to be completely invisible with a pistol.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Sta
Private

In all games I've played I've said cloakers or stealth abilities are for carebears.. guess what I've voted
Old 2012-02-24, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Daimond
Private

it seems that you all missed what they acualy said. and thats they were looking into the idea of infiltrators that can use shotguns. Not that they are ingame now or will be its just a thought they put out there.
Like T-ray said basicaly it will depend on what end of the gun your on if you might like it.
Me I think its a neet idea, but could be dont vary wrong, in several ways. but bring up thoughts of the scat pistol though, and other such 1 shot kill burst mode types already inplay. they maybe thinking that route for it and just put it out there to stur up wild speculation.

as for things like sniper rifle me and others long ago talked about on forums that would be a great idea, and Im a sniper btw. they down side I put forth that most agreed if ever done, and should be for anything other then a pistol is that when not sheathed lets say, you ar uncloaked. on a knife and pistol weapons can be pulled to remain cloaked. the other down side would be your still a 1 shot kill from most weapons and specialy other snipers.

Last edited by Daimond; 2012-02-24 at 09:19 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Threads like this repeatedly make me wonder why SOE didn't keep the classes the same and introduce the ability to let us choose what specs we want our weapons while also keeping the certification system with some of the same and new certs.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Graywolves
General

I think it might be cool. With thermal vision and dark light I don't think it will be a problem.

Just seems gimicky.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

I thhink the deal here is rock, paper, scissors. Ok, you got a cloak and a shotgun - cool. But what about the guy with darklight? Oh yeah, you can get an implant or something to break his DL when he looks your way, but say he's got infra-red instead of plain iron sights? He sees you, he shoots you.

Its all about rock, paper, scissors.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
HitbackTR
Sergeant

darklight isn't much of a deterrent to a competent cloaker
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion