[Video] The Lancer doesn't suck, even when using it solo. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the whole universe of a planet...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-30, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DHoff
Corporal

[Video] The Lancer doesn't suck, even when using it solo.

Old 2013-03-30, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: [Video] The Lancer doesn't suck, even when using it solo.

So, wheres the solo part in there?
For the most part it looks like you got finishing blows with it.
Old 2013-03-30, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

It certainly seems to be very strong at anti-air.
Old 2013-03-30, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
It isn't. Unless the pilot is asleep while flying or getting lit up by friendly AA, you rarely get killing blows on them.
Old 2013-03-30, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zulthus
Colonel

^ It's great at anti-air. I've killed numerous ESF's (not so much libs/gals) by getting two fully-charged shots off. Usually they already lost some health because they're in the middle of a dogfight.

I really like ruining their day when I see a TR/NC pilot fighting a fellow VS pilot... they're preoccupied with doing maneuvers, so I just finish them off while they're distracted.

I guess I'm just good at leading targets though. I would always use the Lancer to take down enemy pilots in PS1.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2013-03-30 at 08:14 PM.
Old 2013-03-30, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by KaskaMatej View Post
It isn't. Unless the pilot is asleep while flying or getting lit up by friendly AA, you rarely get killing blows on them.
Umm the same thing could be said about the AA specific shoulder fired missile.
Its looks pretty good to me.
Old 2013-03-30, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Well, it's something you can finally get the lazy hovering rocket-podders down with (because you have the element of surprise and less of a "warning" like with brusters and skyguards).
But against good pilots you won't do much. (Except maybe scare them off, which is a win too, but you wont get a kill on them)

You can get of some lucky shots at dogighting ESFs and the like, but in those situations a dedicated AA weapons would also be effective, if not even being more effective.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-03-30 at 08:22 PM.
Old 2013-03-31, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Although I think it takes more than a video of the killing blow shots with the lancer to prove it, I love the lancer.

I think the main thing VS players and others are failing to realize is how the damage is balanced with its ability to hit at range.

The lancer can hit targets at 700 meters away. That is literally render distance.
Go set a waypoint and stand 700m away from it in game. A lock on launcher such as the annihilator can lock on up to 400m away. The lancer doesn't even have damage drop off until 500m.

And then you come to the most important thing. There is no warning that you are about to take damage from the lancer.

Seriously there is no other weapon in the game that can engage vehicles at the ranges a lancer can. How can you justify having super high damage when it's potential to hit at these ranges is so high? And it's not even difficult to pull off ranged shots I rarely miss with the thing.

The lancer is super versatile. Sure a decimator is better if your enemy is within 20m or so but it's useless when the target gets further away from you.

When you have a weapon that is so easy to aim and connect on the shots even at super long range you need to have a damage trade off.

Personally I think the lancer is the best AV in the game because its so versatile and it can engage vehicles at ranges that no other weapon can.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Just another OP VS weapon. Nevertheless 90% of VS are whinning and even asking the devs to boost the lancer further.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Snoopy
Sergeant

^lmfao, cute.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
Just another OP VS weapon. Nevertheless 90% of VS are whinning and even asking the devs to boost the lancer further.
All the little COD children coming out of the woodwork and bitching on the fourms because they're getting shit on is hilarious.

Shame about the community. PS1 had a great one, now we have to put up with these brats.
Old 2013-03-31, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Varsam
Staff Sergeant

Looks to me like all you did was kill steal people. Congrats.

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I think the main thing VS players and others are failing to realize is how the damage is balanced with its ability to hit at range.

The lancer can hit targets at 700 meters away. That is literally render distance.
Go set a waypoint and stand 700m away from it in game. A lock on launcher such as the annihilator can lock on up to 400m away. The lancer doesn't even have damage drop off until 500m.

And then you come to the most important thing. There is no warning that you are about to take damage from the lancer.
I agree that simply buffing the Lancer damage is the wrong way to go.

But being able to hit targets at render distance isn't much more than an annoyance to vehicles when it only does 550 damage after damage dropoff (tanks have 8000hp). There's also the issue of trying to hit targets at a distance that not even sniper rifles would attempt, with a x1 scope. Also, it's actually not as easy as you might think to find an unobstructed LOS to targets within that range. Unless you're flanking a battle (from 700 meters away for some reason) tanks still tend to stick to cover, which still inhibits Lancer play.

On top of that, within 400 meters the Lancer is outclassed by pretty much every other launcher in the game. Does the Lancer have its uses? Sure. But those uses are severely limited, even in those roles the Lancer is only marginally effective, and out of those roles it is sub par at best. The fact that it can potentially do what no other launcher can do simply does not outweigh the fact that it just does not put out enough damage to compete with other launchers.

Last edited by Varsam; 2013-03-31 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2013-03-31, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zulthus
Colonel

I don't think the Lancer needs to be buffed any further; it's perfect where it is now.

It doesn't do as much damage as the other launchers, but as Gonefshn said, it can hit targets at render distance, which the other two cannot. You can even shoot it without warning the enemy that it's coming; it's a near instantaneous projectile.

So, it's perfectly fine that it doesn't do as much damage as the other launchers; that's the way the weapon is supposed to work. No need for any nerfs or buffs anymore, I think the devs found the right balance.

Charge time is fair, damage drop-off is fair, and overall damage is fair.

I can just imagine how damn annoyed TR/NC are when they're trying to run away in their vehicles... you can't escape the Lancer, no matter where you try to hide
Old 2013-03-31, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mordelicius
Major

The Vanu as so used to OP stuff.

Infinite range + near instantaneous hit is not what I'd call weak. We're already calling it OP when Higby previewed it. It's just that the build that he was using was different from the one released. Now, that's fixed as well, right?

All one needs is charge and point and it will hit
Old 2013-04-01, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
Not true, and for the one's that are whining I think that the Dev's should ignore them. Most of those whinners want that One shot Lancer, I mean most of them bought it and fired at the front side of vanguard, with one charge then said its under powered and doesnt do enough damage. I can tell you now I think they should leave it alone, I was taking out prowlers the other day, but like any AT weapon I was hitting them from the rear, were the armor is weakest. Most guys dont know how to play the game, or have a clue on how to take out a tank fast. You can two shot a Vanguard, prowler, and a Mag (Vanguard without shields up) at full charge with a lancer which is about right to me, Ive hit them from the sides and front and the lancer does damage, but very little in these instances. There is no drop on the weapon projectile, so its a straight shoot, its to easy to use, granted the charge up is a pain, but hey no complaints here. I
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion