Stuff you cook...And is DELICIOUS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Special prize in every box!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-27, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
regisp
Private

Stuff you cook...And is DELICIOUS

Hey guys! So, being a college student graduating in less than a year, I am looking to begin my hobby of cooking during this upcoming school year, so I can be a bad ass in the real world...you know, be able to woo my GF with the awesome chef skills...HA

Okay not really, I just like to cook and I feel like it is something everyone can share. I often watch the cooking channel with my roommates, cause it is pretty fun :P

What recipes do you have that are pretty easy, and still delicious!? Share one if you want, or just use this as a little reference for your own

Mine (REALLY CHEAP, and really easy)
Ingredients:
Pasta (Can be any type of noodles, I prefer Bowtie or Penne)
Italian Dressing
Parmesan Cheese (and maybe some shredded cheese if you like it that much)
Fresh tomatoes, diced
Pieces of boneless chicken

Cook the pasta as you normally would, and chicken (you can also buy microwave chicken). Afterward, drain the pasta, and put it back in the pot, but not on the burner. Mix in the chicken, some squirts of the italian dressing, and parmesan cheese (don't be light with the cheese). IF YOU WANT, add in some cooked spinach for health. Put some in a bowl/ plate, and top with the tomatoes. DONE!

Edit: Grammar problems...Have had a couple of beers
Old 2012-07-27, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tsunami
Corporal

Re: Stuff you cook...And is DELICIOUS

anything on bodyrock.tv
Old 2012-07-27, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zulthus
Colonel

All you'll ever need to know how to make.
Old 2012-07-27, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bjorntju1
Captain

In all seriousness, I live at home so I don't have to worry about food.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-07-27 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2012-07-27, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I cook basically all of my own food, so I have a lot of recipes. I BBQ a lot because BBQ'ing is awesome, and I use the style of doing meat on the grill that revolves around low heat (~225 F), with the meat NOT above the burner that is going, with instead a tin lasagna pan below it. Cook pork back ribs at that heat, above water, for 4 - 5 hours and then end up quite juicy and delicious.

Otherwise, a really good, healthy marinade for chicken is a mix of red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard power, some canola/olive oil or vegetable oil, and diced parsley. Marinade chicken in a good mix of that stuff, then cook at 400 F for 25 - 30 minutes, and you have tangy, delicious chicken that isn't crazy-high in sodium or carbohydrates or anything like that. Little extra fat from the oil, but it's good fat.

A nice sausage recipe I do involves chopped onions (whatever variety you like, but red and sweet are good), white whine, basil, oregano, garlic, and a bit of butter if you want. Caramelize the onions on one pan, brown the sausages in the other pan, then cut the sausages into little 1-inch sections and toss those in with the onions. Cook for ~20 min or so and you get a really tasty meal which, again, is low in carbs, although depending on the sausages may be a bit high in fat (but still a lot of protein).

I could go on and on. It's good that you're getting into cooking. The idea of men not being able to cook is strange to me. I don't know if it's due to my parents being strange European-types and my dad always having done a lot of the cooking himself, but definitely being able to cook well will impress ladies. And when you cook your own food, it becomes really easy to fix yourself up an eating schedule wherein, if you're working shift work or something, you can easily make yourself a bunch of food on Sunday or whenever and be set for the week.
Old 2012-07-27, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post

All you'll ever need to know how to make.
It looks magical!

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2012-07-29, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
regisp
Private

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I cook basically all of my own food, so I have a lot of recipes. I BBQ a lot because BBQ'ing is awesome, and I use the style of doing meat on the grill that revolves around low heat (~225 F), with the meat NOT above the burner that is going, with instead a tin lasagna pan below it. Cook pork back ribs at that heat, above water, for 4 - 5 hours and then end up quite juicy and delicious.

Otherwise, a really good, healthy marinade for chicken is a mix of red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard power, some canola/olive oil or vegetable oil, and diced parsley. Marinade chicken in a good mix of that stuff, then cook at 400 F for 25 - 30 minutes, and you have tangy, delicious chicken that isn't crazy-high in sodium or carbohydrates or anything like that. Little extra fat from the oil, but it's good fat.

A nice sausage recipe I do involves chopped onions (whatever variety you like, but red and sweet are good), white whine, basil, oregano, garlic, and a bit of butter if you want. Caramelize the onions on one pan, brown the sausages in the other pan, then cut the sausages into little 1-inch sections and toss those in with the onions. Cook for ~20 min or so and you get a really tasty meal which, again, is low in carbs, although depending on the sausages may be a bit high in fat (but still a lot of protein).

I could go on and on. It's good that you're getting into cooking. The idea of men not being able to cook is strange to me. I don't know if it's due to my parents being strange European-types and my dad always having done a lot of the cooking himself, but definitely being able to cook well will impress ladies. And when you cook your own food, it becomes really easy to fix yourself up an eating schedule wherein, if you're working shift work or something, you can easily make yourself a bunch of food on Sunday or whenever and be set for the week.
I am saving ALL of this haha. Thank you
Old 2012-07-31, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tsunami
Corporal

my friend always pokes holes in the meat with a fork when he bbq's. He says it allows the spices and stuff you put on it to soak into the meat. Although we just bbq'd with some really spicy stuff, it was like the spice got dissipated throughout all the meat and wasn't very spicy as it was when we made the bbq sauce.

I don't know the amounts for the bbq sauce but here's whats in it
soy sauce
ginger(diced-ish)
ketchup
garlic(diced)
some honey
a very little amount of sea salt, like a bottle caps worth
and some spicy stuff like chipotle sauce
you're gonna have to feel all that out, i usually measure it with my hand.
Old 2012-07-31, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Dredge some chicken in flour, heat up a pan, put a little bit of water in it and drop the chicken in. Add garlic, soy sauce, and honey then cook on high for a few minutes then drop heat to simmer to allow the sauce to thicken. Easy teryaki chicken to throw on some rice :P

Get some Smokies or any sausage, cut up some onion, red and yellow bells, and garlic. Caramelize veggies, add salt and pepper to taste. Add smokies/sausage, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce, cook until thickened. Add whiskey if you want. Easy barbecued sausage.
Old 2012-08-01, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
huckc
Private

Hummus, a good source of raw nutrients. Althought probably not worth buying a food processor just for that .
Old 2012-08-03, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I need more recipes. 8) I'm growing several types of peppers tomatoes and cucumbers in the back yard. 8)

If you grow anything i suggest lots of different peppers. They have dwarf capsicum bell pepper plants. Then no more throwing that half used bell pepper out after it goes moldy. And you can make mini stuffed peppers!!

Plus Dragon tai peppers are ammazing. They go great in stir fries and in nacho cheese. Add some salsa and some ground up peppers with velveta or any other cheese and it gives it a slight smokey flavor. Plus it has a wonderful delayed burn to the pepper instead of the imediate one. Absolutely great pepper!

For the velveta nacho recipe:

One perfect cube of velveta needs a splash of salsa plus 4-5(for recommended starting heat) Dragon Tai peppers* and a splash of milk plus any other desired cheese. For extra flavor if desired some hotdog meat sauce! very good nacho cheese. Heat up in pan or in microwavable container until melted! stir occasionally.

*(the little pinky sized ones not the longer ones)

Want more experiment doubling the recipe. Not sure how much to increase the peppers but everything else you double. Also possibly add more fresh salsa like vegetables to replace or add with the salsa for more chunks! Also try other fresh picked hot peppers. 8) Dragon Tais are fantastic though.

Dragon Tais I'm refering too:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6504952_make-homemade-crushed-red-pepper.html
also another recipe! Fresh Ground Chili Flakes/pepper
Dragon TAi pick

If you have the larger ones I'm not sure if they taste the same or how much to use. You'll have to experiment. The ones I grow have a somewhat distinctive taste. 8)

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-08-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 2012-08-03, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I put together a chili recipe this past winter that I think is pretty amazing. Also cheap plus you get a lot for subsequent lunches or whatever.

Put a bit of oil in a large pot add:
A couple/four cloves of garlic, chopped up let it sizzle a bit.

Then 1/2lb to 1lb of each (mix and match as desired):
Beef, stew meat...no ground beef here
Pork, again
Chicken breast (cut into small cubes for consistency)

Brown. Sprinkle some red pepper and chili powder on them.
Cut up an onion (or two, depending on size) and add it.
I like to have more slice-like pieces, you can chop finer if you want.
After onion(s) are cooked a bit

Can of each (drain the juice out first):
Black beans
Pinto beans
Larger can of tomato chunks

A couple of canned adobo chillies and some of the sauce in the can. This is where the heat comes from, they are pretty spicy (at least the ones I get). Some more chili powder, sometimes some extra parpika or cumin, a few dashes of green Tabasco.

Now let it stew...for like an hour or more. Just stir every 15mins or so. You don't have to hover over it.

When you like the consistency, put it in a bowl with some oyster crackers, a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheddar and maybe some uncooked diced onions.

Anyway..sometimes I think I may use an extra can of beans or exclude a meat. Whatever, it changes a bit every time I make it. Always good.

I see something I like someplace and look it up on the internet and try to do my version.
I don't like to cook unless I make something reasonably involved with nice ingredients, so it ends up that I do a lot of instant and super easy stuff with a kickass meal like once a while. My roommate loves my chicken parmesan. My secret is hitting the breast with a hammer to flatten it out...and Panko for breading (Really, Panko for all breading applications, much better than other breadcrumbs).

One of my recent favorites: A burger with a bit of coby jack, some pickled jalapenos and peanut butter(!) on toast.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-08-03 at 06:14 PM.
Old 2012-08-03, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Apparently my matzo ball chicken soup is legit, so I'll put it out there. I stand by it as pretty good, not only because it starts from raw components (aside from the matzo meal, but one can make that if they really care to) but also because it is a pretty healthy meal that can be made with relatively low cooking talent or ability.

Matzo balls...

Start a few hours before, using this recipe for the matzo balls. It considers firm vs soft, so whatever your preference, this has ya covered. http://www.food.com/recipe/kosher-pe...zo-balls-94412

The timing is a bit odd, because you need to make the matzo dough at least an hour in advance, a few hours is probably better though. It takes some time to boil the matzo balls, so it isn't bad to start this at the same time as the soup.

Use the biggest pot you have available, especially for soft ones, as they won't expand if they are cramped together with nowhere to spread. I recommend a 2x to 4x batch if you are feeding a family and wanna get through soup and matzo balls at a proportional rate.

Chicken soup...

Boil 1 young chicken with 2 coarsely chopped onions and a bulb of garlic (diced) and some parsley. While that is boiling, chop half a pound of carrots and one bunch of celery. When the chicken is cooked, pull it out to let it cool, and throw the celery and carrots in*.

When the chicken is cool enough to handle (around 100 degrees or so, maybe 30 mins to 1 hour after pulling), pull the meat from the bone. Tear or chop it into bite-sized pieces, and throw it back in with the rest of the soup.

Once the chicken is back in, you can let it all boil together for a bit, or just cut the heat and let the residual warmth homogenize the temperature of the chicken with the rest of it.

*You can also add a whole parsnip of you want, my mom loves that stuff but it doesn't do much for me either way in terms of the broth.
Old 2012-08-04, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Asheme
Private

grilled cheese op.
Old 2012-08-04, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MorioMortis
Corporal

Great pasta recipe that takes little time:

Make pasta (whatever kind you like, although spaghetti tends to get jumbled up), but undercook it a little.

In a skillet, put half and onion, a few cloves a garlic and either beef cubes or your favorite kind of sausage (or both) and brown them. Add a can of mulched tomatoes (fresh also works), let it sit for a while, which is when I usually start the pasta water. Add and dash of Worcestershire sauce, of paprika and dryed tomatoes to the skillet, and, if fancy, a drop of balsamic vinegar. Let it reduce a bit, and add a splash of red wine.

Add to pasta to the skillet, mix well, and serve. Adding fresh basil or chopped green onions makes it even better, and pasta is always better with cheese (no matter what Italians say).
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge