Gate Shields are actualy a vunerability. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Let's get it on like Donkey Kong!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-08, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Gate Shields are actualy a vunerability.

Honestly i dont see why gate shields stop vehicles and weapon fire but all infantry just pass right through. I would understand if there were no ther otions to bypass it but there are loads!

Especialy the AMP stations when there are outright gaps in the walls for some reason.

I say make gate shield stop infantry. Honestly i think this is the simplest possible fix to base defenseability. As far as the infantry is concerened those arent even chokepoints as it stands now.

There are PLENTY of ways to get through and shut them down. Light Assaults and Gate Shield Defuser equiped Sunderers being the most obvious (Although SOE needs to finaly fix this thing so it works 100% not 50% of the time). And lets not forget about gal drops and *gasp* going around. I would even go as far as to add a new one ,a gate shield defuser utility for the flash that would require the driver to be an infiltrator like the upcoming Wraith module.
Old 2013-03-08, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
cKerensky
Private

Re: Gate Shields are actualy a vunerability.

I...actually kinda like this idea. Gives LAs a better role, GSDs become more important, and infiltrators can infiltrate.

This gets my vote, man.
Old 2013-03-08, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Yeah, this is actually a fair point - since infantry can actually use the shield as cover, it's often actually an advantage for attacking infantry.

Encouraging galaxies and sundies to be used as pure transports for breaching the courtyard sounds like a great change to me.

Old 2013-03-08, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

As radical as your idea might seem, I think it makes sense. Sundies and Gals need more strategic value, and bases need more defensibility.
Old 2013-03-08, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I See no problem with Infantry passing through shield walls.
Old 2013-03-08, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
moosepoop
Captain

i think its stupid that infantry can pass thru these force fields, an entire zerg basically flows into your base.

you cant have a few people defend against many like higby claimed in early interviews, if you allows everyone to steamroll thru a bases gate.
Old 2013-03-08, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

i love this idea because it actually gives a function to the walls . Right now walls are just obstacles they should be tools for the defenders to defend and not just obstacles
Old 2013-03-08, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Actually another idea that might help this work would be to allow Infiltrators to pass through the gate shields while cloaked, but to block all other infantry.

Old 2013-03-08, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

My idea is to make gate shields two stage shields, like the vehicle bay shields are but instead of completely preventing enemy units through, if one of the two generators is still up you can walk through them as infantry but cannot drive through with vehicles.

So if one generator goes down, vehicles can't just swarm the courtyard just yet but infantry can fight to keep that gen down while attacking the other gen too.
Old 2013-03-08, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KaskaMatej View Post
My idea is to make gate shields two stage shields, like the vehicle bay shields are but instead of completely preventing enemy units through, if one of the two generators is still up you can walk through them as infantry but cannot drive through with vehicles.

So if one generator goes down, vehicles can't just swarm the courtyard just yet but infantry can fight to keep that gen down while attacking the other gen too.
That's also a fun idea, although in that case would it be worth making the shield at the base's main building work the same way? That would help to make the game feel consistent and logical - and so make it easier for new players to figure out.

Old 2013-03-08, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
Honestly i dont see why gate shields stop vehicles and weapon fire but all infantry just pass right through. I would understand if there were no ther otions to bypass it but there are loads!

Especialy the AMP stations when there are outright gaps in the walls for some reason.

I say make gate shield stop infantry. Honestly i think this is the simplest possible fix to base defenseability. As far as the infantry is concerened those arent even chokepoints as it stands now.

There are PLENTY of ways to get through and shut them down. Light Assaults and Gate Shield Defuser equiped Sunderers being the most obvious (Although SOE needs to finaly fix this thing so it works 100% not 50% of the time). And lets not forget about gal drops and *gasp* going around. I would even go as far as to add a new one ,a gate shield defuser utility for the flash that would require the driver to be an infiltrator like the upcoming Wraith module.
This heretic spews blasphemy! Blasphemy!

Seriously however I do agree, this would be simple thing to implement and make the walls a tiny bit more important, than they are now. But I agree more with Kaska and have it a two-stage generator set up.
Old 2013-03-08, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

A simple and obvious adjustment you think they would have had from the start, eh? It would bring roles back to role warfare if they adjusted it with specific classes in mind as the counters to thsoe shields as suggested above.

SOE, get'er done!

Old 2013-03-08, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

A great idea!!! +1
Old 2013-03-08, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

As daChronic once said, "JIHAD BUSS!"
Old 2013-03-08, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

Fund it!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion