Is anyone nervous? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Animal tested, Kitty aproved.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-09, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Dreamcast
Major

Re: Is anyone nervous?

I actually love the idea, here's why.

Sniper/medic combo fucked up sniping in PS1...Basically since there was no headshots, each time you shot a sniper, he just healed himself...It was so annoying.

Of course in Planetside 2, your a sniper can still pair up with a medic but atleast that requires some teamwork and one less soldier on the map.

SO yes I agree there should be a medic/Engineer/infil class......but I would like it if combat roles only, were treated just like combat roles....so we can choose to be a sniper/jackhammer guy etc.
Old 2011-07-09, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Bags
Lieutenant General

But I don't want to be forced to rely on a medic. It will be like TF2

MEDIC
MEDIC
MEDIC!!!
MEDIC!

I'm fine with medics specialized as medics being bitching healers with revive, but I want to be able to heal myself to some extent.
Old 2011-07-09, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
But I don't want to be forced to rely on a medic. It will be like TF2

MEDIC
MEDIC
MEDIC!!!
MEDIC!

I'm fine with medics specialized as medics being bitching healers with revive, but I want to be able to heal myself to some extent.
Maybe the little health packs will be available again?
Old 2011-07-09, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I was a little nervous in the sense that Smeldonious kept referring to BF when he was talking about things he wanted to do with PS. I've not played much BF, but I know the general consensus is that it's a good game. However, I don't want people to play PS2 and think of BF because of all the aspects of that game applied to this one.

Sure, it may have it's own unique game style to it, but if gameplay is essentially the same then it would be a let down.
Old 2011-07-09, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Planetside View Post
Sniper/medic combo fucked up sniping in PS1...Basically since there was no headshots, each time you shot a sniper, he just healed himself...It was so annoying.
Hence the reason you flanked enemy snipers, or waited for a friendly sniper to fire at them first so you could finish them off before they retreated. I hope no one switched off their brain to the extent that they just kept shooting at snipers that simply ducked down and re-healed...

Sniping's going to be an interesting thing to balance in PS2. If it's 2-shot kills, no one's going to want to pop their head back up at half-health. If it's 1-shot kills/headshots, no matter how hard the shots are to land, people who are good with it are going to commit mass slaughter.

Back to the original question, yes I'm nervous. After hearing all the information from FanFaire, I'm relatively confident SOE knows what they're doing so far, and so long as they come through on their promises to listen to the beta testers and change something if it needs changing, PS2 should end up being decent at worst.
Old 2011-07-09, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
HunterMaximus
Private

I feel a bit better having watched the session videos (think they were on gametrailers.com, they're linked in one of the FAQ threads here), but I'm also concerned about how they seem to be modelling a lot after the Battlefield and CoD series. The weapon and vehicle enhancements/additions give me a little pause, given the complexity it would bring to balancing things, but like the skills/BR/cert system, it hasn't been fully explained yet so I'll reserve judgement for later.
At one point one of the devs (I think Matt Higby) mentioned briefly that they were increasing the lethality of the weapons, which I'm definitely not in favour of. While PS definitely had its share of pacing issues, I liked the direct combat pace for the most part. Yes it's not as fast paced as a lot of "realistic" modern shooters, but I think that's a good thing. It can lend a more tactical feel to the game, as well as making it more accessible to newbies (dying a lot is going to happen, but it's less frustrating when you at least have time to process what's happening).
I think my main concern is embodied in a description of what they were aiming for with PS2, which was essentially (my paraphrasing) "take a ton of great stuff from modern shooters (CoD/MW, Battlefield) and mix it in with a bunch of good stuff from MMOs". That sounds great and all, but I'm worried about trying to do too much and stuffing in a lot of features, at the cost of quality. Given the history of SOE development, I'd hope they start by keeping things simple, doing a core set of things really really well, rather than tacking on a whole bunch of things because it sounds cool.

Hopefully though, they know what they're doing. It's been 3 years since I've played any Planetside, and I really hope that I can look forward to some more of the awesomeness I remember.
Old 2011-07-09, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
klu
Corporal

with the scope of this game they have in mind, i dont think the old ps player base will be enough. they gotta try and increase the pops somehow
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion