They say it's going to have the bells and whistles of a modern FPS... Does it... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ↑↑ This End Up ↑↑
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you love the player inflicted building destruction in Battlefield Bad Company 2???
Yes 42 75.00%
No 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-25, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ferriman
Private

Lightbulb They say it's going to have the bells and whistles of a modern FPS... Does it...

They have said in interviews that it's going to have the bells and whistles of a modern FPS... they've mentioned their favourite game titles such as the Battlefield series etc. Does that 100% mean it'll include the great destruction feature which you see with Battlefield Bad Company 2???

If you know it will do you have an evidence, i.e. an interview or review I haven't yet read.

To be honest I like all my gaming companions hopes deeply it will.

Also am I right in understanding that outfits won't be able to place towers upon release? Is it yet another great feature in a long term plan?

Ferriman
Old 2011-08-25, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Glennsnake
Private

Re: They say it's going to have the bells and whistles of a modern FPS... Does it...

When they said it would be similar to BF, I think they meant how the squad system works.
Old 2011-08-25, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Redshift
Major

Re: They say it's going to have the bells and whistles of a modern FPS... Does it...

Building destruction will not work in a game of this scale, the pounding bases took in PS1 would reduce them to dust in 2 mins, there's the trouble of them being fixed to be dealt with also
Old 2011-08-25, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Atuday
Master Sergeant

I like it in BC2. I don't know if it fits well in a game like this.
Old 2011-08-25, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ferriman
Private

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Building destruction will not work in a game of this scale, the pounding bases took in PS1 would reduce them to dust in 2 mins, there's the trouble of them being fixed to be dealt with also
Fair Point!

But something must be destructable surely! Bunkers and such? Parts of the Base? Seeing the radar dish crash down as it's destroyed?

Make the base out some super indestructible alloy fair game but I would like to destroy something in my environment!
Old 2011-08-25, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

It could be a situation where you have destructable bases, but you can't capture a damaged base. Think of trying to secure a base that you beat the crap out of. Say for example, you attack an enemy base, and do 80% damage to it. Does it go neutral until the attackers repair it to say 60% so they can capture it? Also once you're in and waiting on the hack to go through, you're stuck at 60% so the original defending force has a slight advantage in busting your hack. So they bust up the base to where you can't hack it.

and if it's implemented something like this, it also gets into the area of sabotage. Do you self destruct a base so noone can have it if it's in your tactical best interest? And then you don't have to defend the base, but just attack the supply lines of your enemy trying to repair it.

Who knows? we certainly dont and we probably won't know til beta.
Old 2011-08-25, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Graywolves
General

I do love destructible buildings in BC2.

But it would feel wierd if it worked like that on Planetside, maybe limited destruction but reducing a facility to debris makes it a little too hard to defend and defeats the purpose of capturing it. Then again with the hexagon territory thing it might work.
Old 2011-08-25, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crator
Major General

Perhaps true structure engineers are in order for this idea to work. So you have to cert engineer to be able to even attempt to repair damaged structures. But you can train down the cert tree to get better at it (faster repairs, equipment to do it better/easier/safer, etc.)...
Old 2011-08-25, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

No. More perfomance weight = less players, more lag spikes.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-08-25, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Krowe
Sergeant

The poll is flawed. I do like the destruction in BC2, but I do not think that it would work in a game like planetside.
Old 2011-08-25, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Yeah thats a republican style poll, very misleading. Yeah i like the destruction in BC2, but dont want it in PS2 cause it doesnt work in a game with 100x the players. Everything would be rubble in minutes, boring. And honestly it doesnt add all that much. Plus its more fun to deal with the buildings and terrain rather than just say eff it and blow it all up, any monkey can do that. Takes skilled players to work with the structures and take them without blowin em up.
Old 2011-08-25, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Another negative or positive would be shaped charge breech assaults. I could see an interest in this. But I would want to wait and see on how it would be implemented. It could have a very exploitable effect which is something I do not want.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-08-25, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

They can't make everything destructible, but destructible wall sections and the like would be cool.
Old 2011-08-26, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Poll: I like the Frostbite engine and its role in BFBC2.
Thread: I do not think that SOE will (or should) include such mechanics in PS2.

PlanetSide 3 is another story altogether.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2011-08-26 at 02:08 AM. Reason: "PS3" auto links to ebay?
Old 2011-08-26, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tycho
Private

I think if some things could be destructible like bridges. Wouldnt it be great to be able to blow a key bridge that leads to your base. It would force the attackers to air drop in or go around. Maybe you could introduce a bridge-layer which could drop a temporary bridge. Once you secure the other side your engineers could come in and repair the bridge. I think there could be some good gameplay additions with certain destructible features.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion