State of PlanetSide - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bird aint the word here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-08, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bismarck
Sergeant Major

Personally, I think it's the best game I've played since MOHAA....but I always love WW2 games so....

I like it becuase you don't have to just kill people, you can hack or engie or medic too. I was never very good at killing people beyond my sniper scope so I mainly just mess around with vehicles and stuff.

I've only been playing for like 1 1/2 weeks now but it's getting better and better. And as far as if I'm going to play it in the future, I'll put it this way. I tried to calculate how much time I've spent online with with MOHAA.....it was over 1000 hours, mostly spent during summer when the waves sucked....which is very often unfortunatley . And the community is awsome and I like how they are set barriers, I'm Terran and always will be, other people are NC or VS and are dedicated. I love that aspect, because now I can hate a person for who his is intead of just what he's like
Old 2003-07-08, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Kikinchikin

Planetside is my first MMO game ever, and I LOOOOOVE IT! It's honestly only my third CPU game ever as well . I was more of a console gamer until about 2 years ago, when i picked up age of empires, started a clan and got hooked on online gaming. well newayz, planetside is undoubtedly the best game i've ever played, and i will continue playing for at least another 5-6 months probably longer. Along with the obvious MMO element that i've never xperienced, the gameplay is fun and engaging. The variety in the roles u can be is also a big plus, as opposed to BF 1942 where u had 5 or 6 roles.

I think planetside will continue to fluorish as the bugs are worked out. Sure i become frustrated many times and feel like choking forkfire, but i realize that its such a huge game and considering the new content they are adding, its gonna need time to fix.

OVerall this game gets a 9.5 outta 10 from me.
Old 2003-07-08, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ThundaHawkPS
Private

I've only owned PS for about a week now, but the time I've spent playing it has been genuinely fun. Really, really fun.

Planetside definately has great potential. BUT however, server stability issues/packet problems can really ruin one's experience (i.e. flying a mosquito one second, lagging out, then logging back in to find your corpse amidst a flaming wreck).

Regardless, I'm confident that this game still has longevity to it- I know I'll be playing as long as it's fun.
Old 2003-07-08, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

They need to pump out patches quicker on the test server, and let them stay on there a bit longer.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-07-09, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Allerial
Private

If they add content regularly as well as fix some of the already very game-deteriorating bugs I think it will last for quite some time. Its a great game for the casual gamer and that is a large audience of people.
Old 2003-07-09, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by MrVulcan
Issue: Servers being unable to keep up with load

Current: Attempting to make their net code better

Note: With the formentioned population problems, I belive that they could merge the 2 east servers into 1 and the 2 west servers into 1, tie the power of 2 servers to take the load of 1 cont insted of the current 1 server per cont that it is right now. This would let 2 servers keep up with the game flow when the cont is pop locked, and help solve the formentioned server pop issues. I do realise that merging them would create issues with names, outfits, etc, however I belive that they could find a solution to that, even if it were as simple as keeping the 2 databases seperate and loging the names/outfits/etc at the same time from the 2 sets (thus you can not have 2 MrVulcans in the server since it is really 2 database sets East1 and East2)
This is a fricken awesome idea. I think it would work to solve this the best. They should jsut have it so yo keep your character, but you gotta register your name again, fr a merging of servers.

Old 2003-07-09, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
kidriot
Sergeant Major

this is another "game that could have been."

immense potential only to dissapoint

they ought to have learned from Shadowbane. pvp w/out content is a losing formula.
Old 2003-07-09, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Tieom
Master Sergeant

Only had the game for 5 days now, so I'm not the best judge on it... but I think it will succede. The game 'works' at the current population levels (2 dots most of the time) so unless there is another playerbase dropoff it should be fine.
Old 2003-07-09, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
IDgaf
Sergeant

It could go either way.

The game is fun, but bases need to be defended, more weapons are needed and the CoF on all weapons need to be reduced.

Also, they have to make coordinating large groups easier. PLatoons is a start.

Need better channels of communication.
Old 2003-07-09, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Cease
First Sergeant

Really hard to tell at this point. I'm not really waiting for anything as much as I am interested to see how dedicated the dev team is.

The problem I would imagine is having the manpower to address the bugs AND add new content. And while I can understand its incredibly difficult to do. The fact is this game won't float if its not done.

This game is a diamond in the rough. Its just going to depend on how well they cut it.

I really like the concept of this game. But, in all honesty I'm not too impressed with the dev teams ability to address the major bugs still outstanding in the game up to this point.
Old 2003-07-09, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dropkick
Private

hi everyone, i like the concept of this game very much. i love the fact that you can go straight into the frey and kill people. i came from Dark Age Of Nerfsalot and hated that i would have 2 months just fight real people. however, as was addressed earlier, this game gets VERY tedious quickly. you raid a base, you hack the base, you secure the base, you move to the next, do it again and then run back to base #1 because its under a hack.... rinse and repeat for 6-8 hrs. i also think that they need to give us a reason to defend a base and not just zerg across a cont. like say you succesfully defend a base for 20 mins then you get 10,000 xp kinda thing. i also think that they should make it easier to defend a base and harder to raid it. one way of doing that would be to put doors on the bases(also mentioned ealier) i think that would also make people work together more if they can't jsut spawn and run in and die and do it again. also i would like to see the total # of bases on a cont decreases, down to like 4 or 5 max per cont. that would also make the battle bigger and nastier

Also my 2 cents.
DK
Old 2003-07-09, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

we dont need LESS bases that would make 56k unplayable think here we are with 5 bases on 1 cont. with 3! warp gates that would not work out noooo wayyy we need better base layouts because at this point i know where everything is in whatever base i go into. but if u check next month and beyond on sony then you will see they are mixing up gameply blah blah
Old 2003-07-09, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
NightWalker XI
Colonel

Re: State of PlanetSide

Originally posted by Hamma
So, after almost 2 months, how do you think PlanetSide is going? Think it will stick around, or is it going to fail?

Personally I love PS, and I love this community. It's all I've ever wanted in a game. And I plan on sticking around for many moons to come.

But what do you think?
Its going well, I agree with you, only complaint I have is that the Devs seem to be giving priority to add ons than to bug fixes.
Old 2003-07-09, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
SumYungGui
Staff Sergeant

the release of ass-tastic SWG (may the game rot and burn in hell) really hurt PS' population. you can see there is a massive population drop off every time you log on. wasn't emerald a horribly over populated laggy crap fest just a week ago? what is it now, a single yellow dot during prime time?

just have to hope people figure out how craptacular SWG is and come back to where the fun is.
Old 2003-07-09, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
DarthMidget
Contributor
Private

I have to agree, Sum, I was miraculously dissappointed with SWG. The Devs for SWG continued to talk about 'content', but when I started playing I was like, 'where's the content'? By content do they mean cookie-cutter missions that have no relevance to anything in the game? Or do they mean standing in one spot doing the same thing over and over and over and over again to get your crafting skill up so you can actually make something someone MIGHT want to buy? I'm not sure. But, anyway, my points is that SWG ISN'T fun, and PS IS FUN. That's generally important for a "Game".
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion