So - It's been a year this month - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: smells like victory
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2004-05-03, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
TheN00b
Colonel

The thing about Planetside is that, for something that's never been tried before, it's downright amazing. The graphics are pretty good, the communication excellent, but it's the amazingly innovative and ingenious gameplay is what stands out. Sure there were bombs, like Core Combat: But what about the things like the capitals, the cavern locks and the BWGs. To keep innovating and constantly adding new ideas for a whole year shows nothing short of brilliance by the Dev team.

Originally Posted by SporkfirePS
I am God
Worships
Old 2004-05-03, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Well lets just say I play it with aol and a 56k modem.

May 25th, I remember that day. It's my little bro's birthday. We went to the mall that day in search for my kid's present. Obviously we went into Gamestop cause half the deal for cleaning the house (The whole damn thing) I would get Planetside and wouldn't have to pay the monthly fee. Got home, got my moms credit card, then waited for the first two patches to d/l on my crappy 56k aol connection.

6AM the next day it finished. I woke real early and got myself jacked on coffee. I launched the game and heard the opening music. My heart jumped, my very first time playing PS since i never made it into beta. No longer do I have to follow My Planetside on the main site anymore, I'm finally in it. I choosed my primary world (Markov) and made my character (me). Once I got out of the spawn tube and out into the sancuary, i was in total shock. Wow with a capital W. As most do, I went to VR and tryed everything to be tried and picked reaver out of all. Only 4 certs (this was before you were able to get first experience bep), might as well waist them on something I love.

I flew around, killed some more newbies like myself. Got the 5 extra certs, went and waisted them on infultration suit and advance hacking when you could hack terminals without getting the 5 cert package.

After I learned how to broadcast much less talk without sending /tells, I said every players very favorit words. "LFS" One squad leader, not much advanced as myself but somehow already past CR1 accepted my newbish self and invited me. WOOO MY FIRST SQUAD!! Since a bug however blows me up whenever i go through a warpgate, I stepped inside his galaxy and he took off after we got a full squad. We were heading to Solsar already engadged down by the NC's gate.

I got that pic too, since I was the first out i was to look for mines and jam the shit outa them. I waved clear and they all dropped. We got that base within the 15 minutes, we had alot of fire after that and it all got very laggy. Hell I cared, I'M PLAYING PS!!!!

Days went by, PS grew, lost bugs, got upgrades. I played with different empires on the other servers for a little bit, then would run back to my main character and play him all day.

Now you ask what PS is like. You can say its down, I liked the beginning. The beginning there wasn't really a point to 3 separate villas in the sanc, all villas wer as full as the 1 main one in beta. Now, there really isnt a point because no one is ever in the sanc. all they got to do is /o where we fighting? and then take a hart which has been given some wakeup juice and arrives every 3 minutes. Or your brand new, the patch took longer than the beta d/l for ps, and everyone spams global.

Then you can say you love it. Server merg, lots of people once again. New vehicles, places, stuff to do. every one is up to date.

Do I like it? Well as I said, I played since the beginning on aol with a 56k modem, you think I dont like it?

Now PSU. I have to say, its only my 4rth real community i've been with since I've only been an online gamer for 3 years and kept half my time making maps in Tribes 2. This is the best community I have ever been in. If I was a rich son of a gun, I'd contribute enough to make hamma buy back his truck. This site being up to date on everything, and having so many options just for PS is great. My advice: keep doing what your doing.

Without this site, I wouldn't be playing PS. Thanks.

[/end wanabe 1 hour speech]

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2004-05-03, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Brigadier General

Misc Info

PS is great and just keeps getting better (minus the surge nerf, SAVE SURGE). I've been playing since release. I think that the LLU addition and the skyguard, liberator, and loadstar were great new vehicles. I also think that the way the game works with outfit's (outfit panel, outift chat channel, etc.) and the global system is great. And the BR and CR system is great as well.

The only thing that I think has gone bad in Planetside is the fact that pick-up squads are just a bunch of people with a squad leader that wants CEP. He usally just tells his squad to go to a base and fight for it and then once they have it then he tells them to move to the next base and so on. I remember when I first got Planetside I was outside in my standard loadout looking at a gal landing thinking "wow that thing is huge" and then I get a squad invite and having no clue what would happen I clicked yes and I joined my first squad. Right when I joined I was asked my certs to which I replyed "I don't now". Now the squad leader was ok with that because he knew I was new and back then most of the people were new. So we load up in a gal and miss the drop becuase most of us didn't know how to drop. So we get out and guard the gal (gunners stayed in) while someone was repairing it. Then I made my first drop on a enemy base and well I died .
I never see squad members ask certs or use gals or anything like that anymore. But then again that is what you have outfit's for. Still I would like to see squad leaders doing that again.

PSU is also great and has always been great. The best PS community and best overall community. Keep up the good work staff.

I also really liked AGN. Acutally that is how I found out about PSU, I was on the official site and I saw a link to AGN on the main page and got to AGN site. After I looked around for a while and then I registered to the fourms. And for the first week I didn't know what PSU was I thought it was just an abbrivation for some text like "lol" and "rofl" are .

Last edited by 321; 2004-05-03 at 06:56 PM.
Old 2004-05-03, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Breed
Master Sergeant

I've been playing since the 22nd of September 2003, and PS is getting better and better with each month that goes by.
I hope that they release an expansion so amazing that it re-populates our humble servers and the war can continue the way it was meant to be fought
Old 2004-05-04, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

It wouldn't surprise me if PS made it's way onto PS3, since it will probably have USB plug-ins for a keyboard and mouse like the PS2 does.

That would make a whole awful lot of n00bs running around on release day.
Old 2004-05-04, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by WritheNC
It wouldn't surprise me if PS made it's way onto PS3, since it will probably have USB plug-ins for a keyboard and mouse like the PS2 does.

That would make a whole awful lot of n00bs running around on release day.
Can you say bugs?

Would the PS3 be fast enough to hold a very tight continent that could make even the fastest computer lag?

It would be kool though, to play PS with top dollar graphics. I mean I know some people got really good vid cards and stuff, but een thoughs can't stand PS at full potental.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2004-05-04, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah te new systems are fucking super computers, the Ps# could handel it easily but it woudl need a hard driver to stor the game on

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-05-05, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
IcyAssasin
Private

hrm... seems to me like it has come a long way since it was released, and even beta

but its still not the game it could be, or that i hoped it would be, but it can still get there.
Old 2004-05-05, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
kidriot
Sergeant Major

Core Combat and a few other bad decisions dug Planetside a hole too deep to get out of.

I think Planetside will always be remembered for its potential and not for what it became.

PSU has done a fine job of supporting a lacking game.

Tho, I must admit, if I had the opportunity I may still be playing Planetside.
Old 2004-05-06, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Deathwatch
Private

PS is a great game and is one of the few games since the old Doom/Quake/Quake 2 period that kept me playing it for a longer period. It offers some things that other games don't, such as a persistant world and larger scale.

However, that is also where the problems with PS lie - I really feel like that SOE has let me down in my expectations for the game. I truely expected a lot more new content after the retail launch. I guess a lot of plans might've gotten derailed early on due to Core Combat and the change of dev team members in their positions, but I also feel that since Core Combat's release, things have just slowed down on the SOE side, just at a moment where they should've picked it up.

Since I started playing this game during open beta, I've played with a lot of people, but over time, I've seen a lot of people I played regularly with leave the game or play a lot less. My first outfit (which was based on a group of gamers who I've played games with since the Quake period) fell apart as a lot of them got bored with the game. Then I did join Renegade Legion, and it was great, but even that outfit lost many active players because they got bored.

Unfortunately, I am starting to get bored with PS as well, no matter how good its gameplay is. I play a lot less than I used to, and I do enjoy it a lot less as I feel as if I've done nearly everything in the game already. And I do not think that any of the currently announced patch notes will keep me very interested in the game for very long as none of them will have a huge impact on gameplay, doesn't increase the immersion or adds a new dimension.

Things I would've loved to see in the game would've been more fiction related things. (not just stories, but in-game as well) More empire diversity (I know, balance issues). More gameplay types (sites such as the Idea Lab have excellent suggestions). More permanent feeling world (it sucks that if you spend 4 hours to cap a cont, you lose it not long after you leave it usually...I've seen plenty of people react with apathy when an empire goes down to 0 bases). I guess I could go on for a while. However, i feel it might be a bit too late for PS as PS has disappeared from the shelves in the stores, so no influx of new players, which is a shame.

I do hope the devs got something big planned for the anniversary. Not just an event, but actually new things that will last in the game.

But to end with a positive note - Planetside is a great game, and no game that has come out during the period that PS has been available has matched its gameplay. The devs do spend quite some time responding to the players through the forums and in interviews, and that does mean quite a bit to a lot of players as it makes them feel involved and that the devs care. Also, the effort done by the people who maintain fansites are also greatly appreciated by the community.

My thanks go out to the devs and the rest of the community to make this a great gaming experience.
Old 2004-05-07, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Hezzy
Contributor
General

Considering PS's potential, there has been little development in relation to it.
Old 2004-05-08, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sputty
PSU rox so much it beats pr0n
PS needs some work done, especially to balance some of the glaring problems
agree 100%

Old 2004-05-08, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Kikinchikin

In all honesty, I guess the game is heading for better. I'm jaded by remembering good old times back last year, as well as a lag free time as well. If I ever upgrade my computer, I will be sure to give PS another spin. It's probably my favorite game to date.

PSU is doing fine, bout the same really (minus and plus new members/old members)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion