Ammo type - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It goes up to 11.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-01, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
fourleafPS
Private

Ammo type

I am wondering how effective the different ammo types are when not used against their intended target. In particular, how well does AP ammo work against infantry? Does it function well enough to JUST use AP ammo all the time, or will it truly pay to switch to the appropriate ammo type?
Old 2003-01-01, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

It most definatly pays to switch heh, anti armor doesent work well against people, and vice versa. SO you will need to carry both types.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-01-01, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
fourleafPS
Private

Thx Hamma! Hmmm...that will make things interesting for those of us with the choice of ammo type.
Old 2003-01-01, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bighoss
General

Just wanted to add to what Hamma said. Some of you might be wondering why the heck wouldn't an armor piercing bullet rip somone apart ??? But the problem is an armor piercing bullet goes in and out, its ridiculous it takes up to 8 or 9 shots to kill somone (If you read the book or saw the movie who might have even been there you hear the rangers and delta force complaining that the bullets go in and out). In black hawk a problem with the ammo they went in with was it was armor piercing. That is why in the news I read that the terrorists could have an american rifle but prefer the AK series because when it hit's the target the bullet curves to stay in length wise damage much more tissue and giving the medic one hell of job!
Old 2003-01-01, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

AP ammunition sucks unless you want your target to die very slowly (blood loss/gradual organ failure).
Old 2003-01-01, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

The AK series of rifles is the most produced series of rifles in the world and is one of the most reliable. Plus since they are mass produced round the world they are a hell of a lot more avaliable than the American M16A2 that our boys use. With the 47 version you could throw a handfull of dirt in chamber, put in a clip, chamber a round, and fire of a shot with no jamming or anything. Duriablity, rugade design, and full auto that's why most orginazitons choose the AK series not the armor pierceing ammuniton that the black hawk insident soldier may have been using. The Russians designed the AK and after the wars in the middle east that they tried to invade, left most of the equipment and weapons there because it would cost them too much to haul it all back since the berlin wall fell and the cold war was over. The country sold off some of its weapons of war to make up for the unstablility of there ecconomy. That's why a lot of teh middle east nations and even China and Korea has the AKs because of the wars that occured and the arms Russia sold or supplied to thoes nations. That's just a little history, sorry if i went off on the deep end.
Old 2003-01-02, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

Holy crap you guys know a lot about guns... well I do too. I guess its something to expect with the FPS crowd.
Old 2003-01-02, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
DarkJaguar
Corporal

Originally posted by SpecialOpRanger
The AK series of rifles is the most produced series of rifles in the world and is one of the most reliable. Plus since they are mass produced round the world they are a hell of a lot more avaliable than the American M16A2 that our boys use. With the 47 version you could throw a handfull of dirt in chamber, put in a clip, chamber a round, and fire of a shot with no jamming or anything. Duriablity, rugade design, and full auto that's why most orginazitons choose the AK series not the armor pierceing ammuniton that the black hawk insident soldier may have been using. The Russians designed the AK and after the wars in the middle east that they tried to invade, left most of the equipment and weapons there because it would cost them too much to haul it all back since the berlin wall fell and the cold war was over. The country sold off some of its weapons of war to make up for the unstablility of there ecconomy. That's why a lot of teh middle east nations and even China and Korea has the AKs because of the wars that occured and the arms Russia sold or supplied to thoes nations. That's just a little history, sorry if i went off on the deep end.
erm no, first off, in Somalia the rangers were using the M4 carbine. second it is called a Magazine, not a clip, China and Korea have AKs because they produce clones of them. and you sure as hell did go off the deep end, try learning your history before teaching it.
Old 2003-01-02, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
NavyBeans
Private

LoL, SpecialOpRanger, i was watching a special on the AK on history channel and that is almost the exact thing they said about. Good Job Man You Knwo Your Weapons Of Destruction.
lol
Old 2003-01-02, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Doobz
Lieutenant Colonel

again, the reason terrorists seem to have primarily AKs is b/c the AK is the most produced weapon ever. the ammunition acts the same way as the m-16, except the m16 i believe has a greater muzzle velocity, but when using normal rounds, they both do a 180 turn after about 8cm of penetration and begin to fragment from the rear, shredding any blood vessels nearby and creating a rather large internal cavity
Old 2003-01-02, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
NavyBeans
Private

Originally posted by DarkJaguar
erm no, first off, in Somalia the rangers were using the M4 carbine. second it is called a Magazine, not a clip, China and Korea have AKs because they produce clones of them. and you sure as hell did go off the deep end, try learning your history before teaching it.
Well unless the history channel has been feeding me lies then i argee with him
Old 2003-01-02, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Its also important to note that just about all the weapons have both types of ammo you can put in your inventory.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-01-02, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

The Delta guys had M-4s, the Rangers had M-16s
Old 2003-01-02, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Bah the real question is:

What bout the Vanu and the energy ammo? does it work only vs troopers or is it able to damage vehicles aswell?
Old 2003-01-02, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
fourleafPS
Private

Yeah Hamma - can you give us more about ammo in general?

Does the Flechette Rifle need two types of ammo, or does the nature of the flechettes work well against infantry and armor at close range, without the need to specify type?

Does a Cycler, Repeater, and Amp use the same exact ammo, or is ammo specific to the weapon? How about shotgun type of weapons, can I share an ammo pool between a rifle and a shotgun?

And any info you can add about beam weapons and ammo would be appreciated!

BTW, I am talking about the game, Planetside. No need to check the History channel folks.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion