Ground Support - Merit ability - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whoring aint easy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-16, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Ground Support - Merit ability

On the main board we had an idea that I thought might merit some discussion by the PSU regulars.

As a merit ability for the dedicated Ground Support people, the ability to set up a jamming field for their AMS that prevents it being targeted by an OS.

Discuss
Old 2004-07-16, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DeltaForceAlpha
Corporal

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 2004-07-16, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I think it's a great idea

The only problem with it is that you target the grid location as opposed to the actual AMS so a jamming field wouldn't be particularly useful.

Last edited by Lartnev; 2004-07-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 2004-07-16, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cauldron Borne
Captain

Maybe the AMS could send out a Pulse for 2-5 minutes (depending on balance issues) that would keep any OS's being dropped within 100m of it...

Maybe make it a skill only people who have had Ground Support for 3 days can use, and only use every 2 hours or so.

Maybe the driver would have to stay in the vehicle to use it. Once he left, the pulse would stop, and he'd have to wait another 2 hours or so to use it again.

Oh, and it couldn't stop an incoming OS. As in: If he activates it to stop an incoming os, the os still happens, but any os's after it can't happen.

And maybe make is so that NO os's (friend or foe) can be used within the radius.

SPAM SONG! (Yes, it DOES exist kiddies.)
Old 2004-07-16, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Indecisive
Major General

Would be hard to implement. You open up your cud, just for shits and try to put a beam down, but it wont let you. Guess what, you now know exactly where it is.

Maybe something like, you go up to the "press again to verify" thing, you click it, and THEN it says you cant use it. If you are going to be *That* dareing, you deserve to know where it is.

Well, accually nm, almost everyone has an os.
Old 2004-07-17, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BlackHawk
Staff Sergeant

How about the OS comes down but fizzles instead of exploding?
Old 2004-07-17, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Cauldron Borne
Captain

You mean like goes through the motions, but sort of sputters out at the end? that could work...

Old 2004-07-17, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

And then, for kicks, make it so that the OS sizzles maybe 20% of the time automatically, so that the person doesn't know if there was an AMS there or if it was a bad OS.
Old 2004-07-17, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cauldron Borne
Captain

heh, that would liven up the cr5 chat....

"OMFG! WHAT THE %&@# HAPPENED TO MY OS?!?!?!"
"THAT'S IT I QUIT"

c-ya later whinner

Old 2004-07-17, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Phaden
Contributor
Major

The fizzleing out sounds kinda cool, and it would have to be some sort of activated ability. Maybe like they said about sitting in it. Thatd keep all but the most dedicated person from using it most times, they would only use it when it was strategically important.
Old 2004-07-17, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

The problem is you still don't have any reason for the OS fizzling, ie no fictional reason. It wouldn't make sense for it to just fizzle.

Hehe 20% chance of failure, heh didn't we have that before?

(read: OS power not working throughout the column bug)
Old 2004-07-17, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Perhaps something along the lines of this:

"Orbital Strikes are great power beams from orbital stations. They are targetted by CR4's, and, more powerfully, by CR5's. However, sometimes, when the great beam is called, a power malfunction causes the OS to sizzle out. This doesn't happen alot (1/10 times), but when it does, no damage is done. Unfortunately, skilled AMS drivers, annoyed by OS's destroying their AMS's, have found a way to counter OS's. By installing a jammer beacon on their AMS, whenever an OS is targetting (that big charge up period), a signal is sent up to the OS generator, causing an overflow of power to the OS Generator, and causing the OS to sizzle out"

So basically, this way, an OS will sizzle out 10% of the time automatically, but if a CR4/5 attempts to target a meritt'ed AMS, it will automatically sizzle out. However, the CR4/5 doesn't know whether it was just a 10% chance or if it was a bad OS.
Old 2004-07-17, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Or if you wanted:

As the OS's massive particle field fires from the platform, A destabilizing field suddenly is projected from the AMS's jammer beacon. The massive distortion in the energy field causes the beam to instantly destabilize and fluctuate, rapidly deteriorating into harmless light and energy that is soaked into everything around its target.

Im sure you could write many different variations on how, or why it works, just takes some thought.
Old 2004-07-17, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Well I just needed a reason for the 10% thing.
Old 2004-07-17, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Phaden
Contributor
Major

sry didnt see it was only 10 percent.

But if someone is gonna work troawrds this relly hard and get this far, shouldnt it work for sure?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion