Are G2A Rockets Working as Intended? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When you kill a Vanu, we laugh
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-18, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Are G2A Rockets Working as Intended?

Am I just using them wrong? The hit rate for my rockets is around 30%. 70% of them either get lost somewhere, get flared, or end up destroying a friendly ESF (that was funny, sad, and ridiculous all at the same time). The ones that do hit have a chance of dealing no damage, which I think is a bug.

However, all bugs aside, is anyone else having a better experience? Getting any cert gain on it? Sometimes I've heard it's only to scare off air, but I think flak maxes fulfill that role a lot better (air have to run AND stop to repair). I also don't think Libs really care if you lock on, and I can understand that. I've never ended up being very lethal to them, because they can flare off a good number of rockets.

I'll get an assist every now and then, and a kill once in a blue moon (kill steals on the weak ones that got pounded by flak). So, is it working as intended? If it is, what advantage does it have?
Old 2012-12-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Are G2A Rockets Working as Intended?

I've been shwacked by them...albeit after taking significant damage from enemy ESF's, MAXbursters, and turrets...

But yeah, I have been killed by them. More than anything, it works as a deterrent. I know it deters me if I get locked on and can't immediately find the source of the lock as I pop flares...definitely not coming straight back into that area without a much more careful look at whats on the ground.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

When they were two-hits (and not everyone had flares), we'd use them in pairs to instagib air. That was a bit much.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Canaris
Contributor
General

I think they are working as intended for the most part being a deterrent and not a hard counter weapon. I agree there are at times when the missile will explode on hit but not register a strike or damage as I can see. I think that's the biggest problem.

They also need to be used in conjunction with other AA either more people using them, AA turrets, Burster MAXs and Skyguards to be properly effective.

My biggest problem with them is the enemy has the uncanny ability to know when I've switched between the skep and grounder and they like wise alternate air and ground either that or I'm just unlucky

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-12-18, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

When I'm on the ground, I hit about one in four, maybe one in five. People seem to out-manouevre them very easily.

When I'm flying, they seem to hit me every time.

I assume I'm just doing something wrong.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by belch View Post
I've been shwacked by them...albeit after taking significant damage from enemy ESF's, MAXbursters, and turrets...

But yeah, I have been killed by them. More than anything, it works as a deterrent. I know it deters me if I get locked on and can't immediately find the source of the lock as I pop flares...definitely not coming straight back into that area without a much more careful look at whats on the ground.
How often would you say that happens per a day? It seems as though very few use them on my server.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

I have a lot of fun with my AA launcher. Obviously you'll get more assists than actual kills, but it does seem to scare them off quite nicely. Most of the time, even just a lock is enough to make them fly off (obviously no XP for just doing that, but it works at least), even if they have flares. But even if they have them, your launcher is always going to reload faster than their flares so if they don't completely flee, there's a good chance you can relock and get at least one hit.

Libs I find still tend to at least move when you lock them (which if they're stationary for bombing, is making them stop hovering at least), and the number of them that actually have flares is a lot less than ESFs.

The bug is a pain though, from what little i've seen of it since the patch. I think I read that they increased the lock on range of the launchers but forgot about the range that they do damage, or something like that.

I think the benefit is mostly that you're a small target and you can still do other things at the same time (since you still have your gun), which in my mind justifies HA AA launchers only being deterrents. I personally think AA launchers are in a good place (aside from the bug).

Obviously you aren't going to get a lot of cert gain from it because most of your XP is going to be assists, but I don't mind so much. I usually pair it with my Warden and switch between AA and counter-sniping/mid-long range covering fire, both of which are mostly assist-bearing roles (as opposed to kill-bearing), so overall it's not so bad on the XP front.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mathematics
Corporal

As a pilot, between g2a and a2a missile locks, I often spend more time trying to LoS missiles than actually killing things. Just because you aren't blowing me up doesn't mean you aren't preventing me from killing things.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
I have a lot of fun with my AA launcher. Obviously you'll get more assists than actual kills, but it does seem to scare them off quite nicely. Most of the time, even just a lock is enough to make them fly off (obviously no XP for just doing that, but it works at least), even if they have flares. But even if they have them, your launcher is always going to reload faster than their flares so if they don't completely flee, there's a good chance you can relock and get at least one hit.

Libs I find still tend to at least move when you lock them (which if they're stationary for bombing, is making them stop hovering at least), and the number of them that actually have flares is a lot less than ESFs.

The bug is a pain though, from what little i've seen of it since the patch. I think I read that they increased the lock on range of the launchers but forgot about the range that they do damage, or something like that.

I think the benefit is mostly that you're a small target and you can still do other things at the same time (since you still have your gun), which in my mind justifies HA AA launchers only being deterrents. I personally think AA launchers are in a good place (aside from the bug).

Obviously you aren't going to get a lot of cert gain from it because most of your XP is going to be assists, but I don't mind so much. I usually pair it with my Warden and switch between AA and counter-sniping/mid-long range covering fire, both of which are mostly assist-bearing roles (as opposed to kill-bearing), so overall it's not so bad on the XP front.
I suppose you have a point there. I'm not locked into an AA role as HA.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
How often would you say that happens per a day? It seems as though very few use them on my server.
Not all too often to be honest. Maybe once or twice every 6-8 hours of flying. Of course, it's situational...as I try to be somewhat conscientious about what I am engaging, and where. If I get locked, and I don't have anyone in pursuit, I'll dump flares and gtfo of there with haste. Just about every time I've been nailed by an HA running G2A, I was stuck dogfighting it out over a spot where the enemy had a strong air defense set up, via turrets, MAXbursters and G2A rockets.

I've even been brought down by sundies in those types of situations. I usually chalk it up to a poor decision on my part...allowing myself to become decisively engaged in the air, over a heavily occupied position is bound to end disastrously.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Question for pilots:

Which makes you run more readily, and keeps you off the battle field for a longer period? G2A or flak Maxes?
Old 2012-12-18, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Look here broski...I'm not trying to make your job any easier...

MAX...as they really sound like hell when they start smacking my 'skeeter all over the place. Even so...I nose gunned one down with an M18 Rotary last night...

But, that doesn't mean I can be careless to an HA running the G2A rockets...you're just going to have a harder time focusing on me if I am supporting a ground assault.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Aight, well I'll just try and spam as many rockets as I can. And hopefully that bug is fixed very soon.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

I've thought about certing them for my HA...been plenty of times when I wished there was something to take out the A2G rocket spamming Scythes and Reavers, and of course, the ubiquitous Libs. Hell, even as a deterrent, seems like it's worth it.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Storn
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Question for pilots:

Which makes you run more readily, and keeps you off the battle field for a longer period? G2A or flak Maxes?
Max's for one reason: Most times there is more than one Max unit and three of them will take you down in short order.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion