Higby on Tank Balance - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Psst...come here...closer...closer...*whack!*
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-31, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Re: Higby on Tank Balance

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
It's what makes the Magburner viable. It's what allows the Magriders to go over rough terrain.
Basically it's 700 cert points wasted for every dedicated Mag driver. I'm fairly sure they don't realize what changing the hover height does to the Magrider.
You mean like, getting into positions where no other tank can get, and get steep angles impossible to the other tanks thanks to the Hover Power? I saw your sniping on TOP of the Broken Arch at an angle that would have dropped ANY other tank. Worst yet, the tanks below needed extra incline in order to be able to shot at you.

Not only that, I've seen magriders climb mountain ranges that are impossible for the other two tanks. He can get into positions no other tanks can. It they could do the same as the magrider, but MUCH more harsly, then I wouldn't say a thing, but in tank combat, position is everything. Vanguard and Prowler drivers must be mindful of their surroundings, even those tiny rocks as well. Now so must the Magrider.

But you still can evade damage much easily then both the prowler and the magrider, while still facing your forward armour with the forward armour buff which almost all magriders get, and be sucessfull. You just won't be able to ignore terrain that much easily compared to before, but it'll still fare better then the other two.

2 nerfs and it is SKY FALLING. One of them slightly. It won't be once single thing that will destroy the tank. Not the magrider at least.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Hamma
PSU Admin

Being able to perch in areas no other tank could get to or even get an angle was probably the worst out of anything mentioned above. That ability was just to powerful in the ground game.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-31, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

And then! If they ever add water!...NVM, what am I thinking Water on this planet kills.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-31 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
And then! If they ever add water!...NVM, what am I thinking Water on this planet kills.
Having magriders run over water isn't overpowered. Mostly because rivers are open, and easier to shot at a target over water, since there'll be nothing protecting him. That's the counter to it. Crossing though a bridge, while claustrophobic at times, offers some protection.

Crossing a river without the need for a brigde is a pro and a con.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I did not say it was overpowered. Besides, I have all thees debates before, 10 years ago.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

If they made a sand-paddle-tire sort of tank tread - and they upped-the speed Cert Tree .... perhaps Vanny's & Prowlers could generate enough speed to chase a Mag across the water.

Mags on water in PS1 were cool to behold - even with the difficulty in trying to hold them off or counter them. Usually we'd roll Deli's or Raiders....fun. Good times.

In PS2, with a 3:1 kill ratio vs the Prowler & a 2:1 kiil ratio vs the Vanny, an adjustment to the Mag certainly was warranted. Easy kills will ALWAYS be exploited. I hope they continue to weed them out of the game. "Throwing" tank mines should be removed.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-01-31 at 03:23 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
DHoff
Corporal

Garbage in, garbage out. Their metric for tank balance is horribly skewed and completely wrong. They shouldn't be using K/D of MBTs vs. each other in this game as a balancing tool. EVERYONE runs HE tanks. HE has a slower bullet and a Magrider can easily dodge it. HE does hardly any damage to tanks, so a Magrider can easily retreat and repair. Almost every Magrider is carrying a Saron, so when a HE Magrider fights a HE Vanguard or Prowler, they will win due to the Saron (unless the Prowler is really close with a Vulcan).

A better metric for determining tank balance would be to compare AP fitted Magriders to AP fitted Prowlers, Lightnings, and Vanguards. I bet you the Magrider is still slightly ahead there too due to the Saron and maneuverability, but I bet it isn't by much. After the patch the Prowler is going to be stupidly bonkers, hell, forget about a Skyguard, just bring a Prowler with siege mode, AP rounds, and a Vulcan and you're golden.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I have never rolled HE for my prowler. It seems wrong to be unable to defend yourself against enemy tanks. AP kills infantry you just don't get blast area.
NC - TR fights will be interesting. You definitely get punished more for missing now. Good.

Now make all tanks withstand more mines and let engies carry more

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2013-01-31 at 03:22 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

So with this Magrider change will it stop them getting up top of Vanu Archives?
Or stop them climbing and camping on the hill to the West of Vanu Archives?
Old 2013-01-31, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
The problem with the mag IS its maneuverability. No other tank can always point its front ( Armor ) towards a target seemingly regardless of terrain.
Higby specifically stated he would not be nerfing the maneuverability. EVERY other tank can point it's gun towards what it is shooting at, regardless of terrain. The Magrider has to turn towards it's target in order to fire, the Magrider does not have a separate moving turret like the other tanks. Why do you people keep ignoring that? There's a reason we have the maneuverability on the tank and it's because we don't anywhere close to the maneuverability on the main gun.

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
So with this Magrider change will it stop them getting up top of Vanu Archives?
Or stop them climbing and camping on the hill to the West of Vanu Archives?
edit: Yes to the first one, no to the second one.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-01-31 at 03:46 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DHoff View Post
Garbage in, garbage out. Their metric for tank balance is horribly skewed and completely wrong. They shouldn't be using K/D of MBTs vs. each other in this game as a balancing tool. EVERYONE runs HE tanks. HE has a slower bullet and a Magrider can easily dodge it. HE does hardly any damage to tanks, so a Magrider can easily retreat and repair. Almost every Magrider is carrying a Saron, so when a HE Magrider fights a HE Vanguard or Prowler, they will win due to the Saron (unless the Prowler is really close with a Vulcan).

A better metric for determining tank balance would be to compare AP fitted Magriders to AP fitted Prowlers, Lightnings, and Vanguards. I bet you the Magrider is still slightly ahead there too due to the Saron and maneuverability, but I bet it isn't by much. After the patch the Prowler is going to be stupidly bonkers, hell, forget about a Skyguard, just bring a Prowler with siege mode, AP rounds, and a Vulcan and you're golden.
I think they used a tank vs. tank KDR only.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Mietz
First Sergeant

Great changes

Back to shooting the ground and small clutter instead of enemies i guess :/

Seriously all the buffs to the prowler? the hell?
Old 2013-01-31, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Chefkoch
Sergeant

Wow..i really wonder how the magrider nerf play out. I guess you can´t glider over lightnings and small fences anymore ??
Old 2013-01-31, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Hamma
PSU Admin

Where did he say he wouldn't nerf that ability btw?

Also, I said it before a bunch of times. The Magrider was a tank that did not have to abide by tank rules and by it's very definition was overpowered vs other tanks. We have all seen the lines of mags perched atop massive hills and hills where nobody could get to them farming infantry and vehicles untouched.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-31, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DHoff View Post
EVERYONE runs HE tanks.
I actually have a petition open asking SOE to refund my Titan HE purchase. I use AP and if I want to kill grunts, I bring a gunner.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion