Ramp mod for the sunderer. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ever hear of a Mac Gamer? Neither have we.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-02, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Purple
Sergeant Major

Ramp mod for the sunderer.

this would be a fun thing a sunderer could equip that would deploy a ramp so ATV could use it as a jump to get over walls/rivers or other things. it would add an element of fun to jump over a wall with C4 strapped to your ATV. im not in love with this idea because i know people would abuse it. however i would like to know if anyone else thinks this would be fun.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Ramp mod for the sunderer.

I wanted to give a constructive replay, but it got deleted after I accidsentaly closed the browser, so I'll just answer with:

Stunt riding is not worth it.
Old 2012-04-02, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

If this were Mad Max universe I would say hell yeah 100%! but with PS2 we'll have jump-jets to serve this purpose I think.
Old 2012-04-02, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Purple
Sergeant Major

i thought people would respond this way but i thought it may have been a fun idea. but i can see that it doesent fit in to this game.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Nobel
Master Sergeant

I actually really like this idea, I can see it being used as a viable tactic. Think of what an organized outfit could do with something like this, getting people past the walls with atvs. Sounds like a "planetside moment" to me.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
I actually really like this idea, I can see it being used as a viable tactic. Think of what an organized outfit could do with something like this, getting people past the walls with atvs. Sounds like a "planetside moment" to me.
And what would possibly be the benefit over a galaxy dropship for breaching a perimeter?
Old 2012-04-03, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
And what would possibly be the benefit over a galaxy dropship for breaching a perimeter?
There are times where airdrops aren't viable due to enemy air control. The ground does indeed become the only option from time to time.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Style points.
Old 2012-04-03, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
There are times where airdrops aren't viable due to enemy air control. The ground does indeed become the only option from time to time.
I doubt an Air-to-ground fitted reaver would have a hard time taking down a couple of ATV's and a sunderer

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
Style points.
I suppose that's the one thing this idea has going for it
Old 2012-04-03, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nobel
Master Sergeant

There are lots of moments, maybe getting a gal is too far away, maybe they have fantastic air coverage. Maybe you just want to do something fun with your outfit.

I can also think of really cool moments using them to cross rivers.
Old 2012-04-05, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hypevosa
Sergeant

I think that putting a pilot (aka "cattle catcher") like you have on the front of trains to blow people and other vehicles aside would be amazing, but a ramp is a little silly.
Old 2012-04-06, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Eighm
Sergeant

When reading the topic title all I could think about was a Sunderer with Mach 5 jump jacks.

That pesky AV MAX ruining your fun? GOOMBA STOMP THAT BITCH!
Old 2012-04-10, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Corax
Sergeant

Well actually this Idea does have merit. Just not quite in the OP's initial view.

Consider this.

Sunderers have a option to lose some of its weaponry so that it can then gain this:

Sunderer Assault Ramps! or SAR for short

Specs for SAR:
Sunderer loses 2 weapons and 2 infantry slots.
It gains a deploy-able ramp that unfolds from its roof in a manner that allows for a walking ramp to be traversed by ground troops. It unfolds in such a manner that its 2 remaining turrets are poking up of the left and right side of the ramp.
Costs Resources to affix to convert roof and body armor.
Grants extra armor to the sunderer on the roof and on the front.
Takes up a Vehicle perk and equipment slot.
Now the way this would all pan out.

Situation:
Troops are at a base assaulting it. The fighting is intense and they have the enemy pinned into the base. However due to the defensive advantages the fight has quickly ground down into a stalemate, with both sides tug of warring back and forth for perimeter control. Essentially the ground troops are at the walls, but they are unable to breach into the base proper.

Enter the SAR.

Rolling in with horn blasting and guns blazing the SAR heads straight for the enemy base. The driver punches the gas pedal crashing threw any enemy ground troops and cracking a hole open for foot troops to follow up. The driver heads straight on to the closest enemy wall, lining up the sunderer perfectly. In a titanic crash of heavy vehicle armor and stout reinforced wall the Sunderer T-Bones the enemy wall head on. Then in a moments notice the driver smashes the 'Q' button, and 4 piston powered feet deploy to the ground as the ramp itself unfolds from the vehicles body and roof transformer style lining up in a angled assault ramp linking to the top of the of the walls to the ground.

In a moment of stunned silence the following troops let out a tremendous cheer as they surge forward, MAX's on auto run following the Sunderer run straight up its now deployed ramp and heavy troops follow up into this mechanized medieval melee. As the advancing troops assault this new area of opportunity the defenders respond pushing more troops to the breach. This further weakens the lines thus allowing for the attackers to deploy their jump pack troops to jump onto the walls and hammer down on these new openings.

Now the ways to make this (somewhat balanced).

Due to the turrets still being on the sunderer no vehicles will be able to drive up them. This would regulate it to being foot traffic only.

The open topped nature of this ramp would make the foot troops vulnerable to air-strikes (and obviously AV weapons can destroy the Sunderer).

If destroyed the ramp/vehicle husk will remain, but will slow down troops on it. And will eventually despawn. Explosion of vehicle will kill any non heavy troops currently on it and wound the rest.

PRO's and CONS:

Pros:
Provides a new fun avenue of assault.
Provides a new tactic for commanders to use.
Further empowers sunderer drivers with more stuff to do.
More armor for sundy

Cons:
Potentially exploitable with locations
Less weapons
Might need to limit the ammount of SAR's that can deploy near each other.

Basically this whole idea balances itself out in that the SAR can be destroyed like any vehicle. While it still enables players to have a a fun new option and new tactic.

Thoughts?

Personally I love this idea in the fact that I can just see troops and maxes charging headlong up the ramp as bullets fire back and forth around their heads. Would make for a very dramatic Planetside Moment.

TLR
Make the sundy have an option to deploy into an modernized old-school medieval assault tower/ramp for footsloggers to reach walls faster in a very dramtic manner.

Last edited by Corax; 2012-04-10 at 05:50 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault