News: New F2P Interview - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Warning: Do not surf website while bathing. Electrocution may occur.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-15, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Re: New F2P Interview

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I think you are being a bit narrowminded Basti.

1) Premiums/subscription/VIP/whatever most likely wont even be close to pay2win, yet wont fill into your list, really
2) character renames, server transfers, etc.
3) I dont even mind unique weapons being sold there, as long as they are not upgrades to what free players can have, just different, but this can fall in the sidegrade business

Could probably come up with few more, but still
The problem "Sidegrade" weapons though are that they can often have slightly different and although technically not more powerful elements, more useful ones. For instance, a shotgun with better range than other shotguns (With no real downsides). A sniper rifle that players can sprint with while others require you to jog (Without losing the power to 2 shot players)
Sound familiar? :P

That's not to say you cant actually work sidegrade weapons, TF2 is a great example of this with a number of sidegrades to classic weapons, while still maintaining the effectiveness of the basic ones.
It's just that you have to be careful how you do it.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kriegson View Post
The problem "Sidegrade" weapons though are that they can often have slightly different and although technically not more powerful elements, more useful ones. For instance, a shotgun with better range than other shotguns (With no real downsides). A sniper rifle that players can sprint with while others require you to jog (Without losing the power to 2 shot players)
Sound familiar? :P

That's not to say you cant actually work sidegrade weapons, TF2 is a great example of this with a number of sidegrades to classic weapons, while still maintaining the effectiveness of the basic ones.
It's just that you have to be careful how you do it.
Yes, sound familiar. While the CSG is on the brink of being on the pay2win side, but most top players in APB deny p2w exists and most of them favor 3 slot "free" weapons. Even with the CSG being on the brink of it, a lot of good players still rather use a JG with CJ3.

The HVRs true potential has nothing to do with 2 shot per se, but in the damage it deals with one shot. If you ask me, Scout trades away the most important thing of HVR for the ability to sprint. I find it overall a balanced trade off, cos it is a huge trade off. It makes it a fairly viable solo sniper, but a normal HVR is superior if theres any teamwork involved.

That said, if I can choose, I rather have stuff like new weapons available for all instead of cash shop only. It's an idea that can be done, but I wouldnt go that road unless it was really necessary.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-03-15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Vancha
Colonel

Re: F2P aspect explained a bit more. Not much but something.

Wait, so was he saying there will be no cosmetic items available at all without station cash, or just that there are a selection of cosmetic items that are only available with station cash? That wasn't made clear.

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
They have to offer more than this in order to succeed. XP boosts and pretty armor are only gonna get so far. They need to get more indepth with it.
Prove it. League of Legends has been doing just dandy selling cosmetics as far as I know, plus Team Fortress 2, which has already been mentioned.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-03-15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Wait, so was he saying there will be no cosmetic items available at all without station cash, or just that there are a selection of cosmetic items that are only available with station cash? That wasn't made clear.
You're right, it's not clear. It could be either.

The point is, the only things available exclusively for cash will be cosmetic.

That's not to say that some cosmetic stuff won't be available for in-game resources.

It's just saying that everything that effects gameplay is available for in-game resources.

So long as the price (in terms of how much time it takes to gather the needed amount of in-game resources) is reasonable, this seems like a fair solution. Reasonable means you can play all night without needing to spend cash to buy more bullets or grenades or tanks or whatever and level up at the same time, but if you want to level up faster then you need to spend cash.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I think you are being a bit narrowminded Basti.

1) Premiums/subscription/VIP/whatever most likely wont even be close to pay2win, yet wont fill into your list, really
2) character renames, server transfers, etc.
3) I dont even mind unique weapons being sold there, as long as they are not upgrades to what free players can have, just different, but this can fall in the sidegrade business

Could probably come up with few more, but still
1. Has nothing to do with the in game cash shop at all. IN fact, they give you cash for the cash shop.
2. Has nothing to do with the in game cash shop. You may use Station cash for this stuff, but it still doesnt remotly affect the game.
3. No. Just no. All weapons should be obtainable ingame, and only ingame. Sidegrades for said weapons may be obtained faster via the shop, but should still be obtainable via ressources. Otherwise you sell power.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
1. Has nothing to do with the in game cash shop at all. IN fact, they give you cash for the cash shop.
2. Has nothing to do with the in game cash shop. You may use Station cash for this stuff, but it still doesnt remotly affect the game.
3. No. Just no. All weapons should be obtainable ingame, and only ingame. Sidegrades for said weapons may be obtained faster via the shop, but should still be obtainable via ressources. Otherwise you sell power.
I guess it just comes down to a bit different views on the cash shop then. I havnt played SOE games with cash shop (well, DCUO shortly, but didnt pay anything for the few days I tried it), so I guess with SOE games it's handled differently.

In APB all the things I listed are exactly in game cash shop sales articles. I guess it's just a different way of doing the same thing.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-15, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
You're right, it's not clear. It could be either.

The point is, the only things available exclusively for cash will be cosmetic.

That's not to say that some cosmetic stuff won't be available for in-game resources.

It's just saying that everything that effects gameplay is available for in-game resources.
No. That's not the point. We already knew that. That's why I commented on something different, because it brought up a new issue that we might not already know about.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Infektion
Sergeant Major

I'll pay for a jackhammer that has twice the effective range with no damage drop off, unlimited ammo (meaning no reload) and 50% faster triple shot "cool down". Not to mention my bunny slippers and bib. Oh yea, I want my armor to have 50% less damage from enemy with a 25% bonus to damage has healing effect and 25% stamina refresh.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

Made this comment thread for:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...-data-2714.htm

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-15, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post

I honestly don't understand how a faster respawn could be selling power, maybe if they spawned twice as fast sure, but 3 seconds off a spawn time is not going to make that much of a difference, especially if all empires have the access... They die at the same rate, just more often.
using that logic selling a gun to all three empires that one shots an entire continent is not selling power because everyone can buy it.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
using that logic selling a gun to all three empires that one shots an entire continent is not selling power because everyone can buy it.
I'd buy that.
Old 2012-03-15, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I think the data access throughout beta is good news. That means that the fan made stat tracking apps and websites will get most of the bugs out before launch.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-03-15, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yep and can work to perfect our systems with some cool features for launch.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-15, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Korova
Private

This may have be covered before so pardon the ignorance but; will the core game be bought and then have no subscription, or say like League of Legends were the game itself is free along with no subscriptions?
Old 2012-03-15, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Korova View Post
This may have be covered before so pardon the ignorance but; will the core game be bought and then have no subscription, or say like League of Legends were the game itself is free along with no subscriptions?
the game is completly free, but you can buy a subscription to get benefits ( faster xp for ex )
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion