"Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I was going to get a Life, but its like a 560 MB download.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ParisTeta
Sergeant

Re: "Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi

I think there are some valid concerns about healing beams. There is no fun to have a medic all the time hiding around a corner, and heal from afar a attacking player, it allows no counter. Having the medic in the middle with "tanks" around is also bad gameplay (for planetside). BUT there is many way to counter such things, and i`m quite sure the PS Devs are aware of them, but remention them could be a good idea maybe someone brings something new? To be more constructive i try first.

1. Adjusting the Range Knob aka give them some minimal range for convinence but not much more the the splash radius of aoe weapon like grenade.

2. Make the beam interuptable, especially through EMP and Splash damage.

3. Combine 1+2 with a progressiv heal, less heal (15%) for the first 3 seconds then after 2 seconds more (45%) etc. Damage would reset it to the first state.

4. Tune healing as such, that you can`t counter heal headshots.

5. Allow active combat heals with big cooldown, for example a healing granade can only be used every 30+ sec

or

6. Add Nanite resistence to healed players, so they can`t have to much healing from range/aoe heal, if those are in game.

7. Give some weapon effects which reduce healing aka Nanite Suppression.

What ideas do you have to adjust the knob of this potential problem?
Old 2012-06-06, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I love how passionate some of you guys can get on so little knowledge.

If I had seen the medic beam bending and curving, I'd be convinced it was lock on based, but given that it appeared more of a linear cone, I'm open to seeing more of it's mechanics before writing it off.

"Healing beams are awesome, you elitist scum!"

"Healing beams killed my mother you COD noob!"

This is why we can't have nice things.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The beam also does something very important. It is a clear visual indicator telling enemies who is doing the healing. So if the guy you are shooting has a beam attached to him you know hes being healed and it isnt a mystery. Moreover it shows you roughly where the person healing him is. These are good indicators.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The beam also does something very important. It is a clear visual indicator telling enemies who is doing the healing. So if the guy you are shooting has a beam attached to him you know hes being healed and it isnt a mystery. Moreover it shows you roughly where the person healing him is. These are good indicators.
Please, Malorn, I beg you watch the video I posted earlier in the thread. It shows perfectly what a medic with a healbeam, good dodging skills and a team of good shooters can accomplish.

I beg you, mate, 'cause I like the way you see the game, most of your posts and ideas are rock solid, but supporting this idea is a BAD thing! You, Coreldan and Sirisian are the last people I want to see actually supporting HoTs or Healbeams in a game like PlanetSide 1|2.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Please, Malorn, I beg you watch the video I posted earlier in the thread. It shows perfectly what a medic with a healbeam, good dodging skills and a team of good shooters can accomplish.

I beg you, mate, 'cause I like the way you see the game, most of your posts and ideas are rock solid, but supporting this idea is a BAD thing! You, Coreldan and Sirisian are the last people I want to see actually supporting HoTs or Healbeams in a game like PlanetSide 1|2.
It's fine as long as there is like a 1 second delay after taking damage before the medic can heal you.

What we don't need are medic buddies who constantly have a healing beam on 1 guy, but with PS2's faster TTK's, I think range combat is already fixed. These healing beams probably would screw with longer ranged combat if the gunplay were like in the first game, but I think PS2 already has it sorted.

I'm not saying these beams are inherently good mind you, but I can see how they could easily be balanced decently.

I just want no lock on for them, and a short delay after taking damage before they start healing. Being able to heal at longer than point blank range, and being able to heal someone while both of you are on the move are fine by me, and fit in with the slightly quicker pace of the game.

I'd prefer medics not be as gimped as they were in the first game. This means better healing mechanics, and a revive function that doesn't infringe on a players spawn timer.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
The Kush
Captain

The healing beam is perfect. A big upgrade from the PS1 days. I don't understand what everyone's problem is. And to the BF noob above me who wants to throw down med packs that's plain stupid. Not PS gameplay at all.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Im going to look at it objectively and wait to see how it plays out. Im at the point where im willing to give them a lot of benefit of the doubt for now if i can see what they are trying to accomplish. Beta seems right around the corner so ill wait to see how these things feel in game, with a squad, and not a demo environment. I can see both sides but I dont see the idea as fundamentally bad. I want to see how it plays out. Plenty of time to give them feedback of this nature.

Actually my biggest concern from the videos is the prowler model, which some folks have said is bigger and fatter, but i need to see the stream footage before I start another prowler thread.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-06-06 at 01:02 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion