Higby's Stream + HUD Issues - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma made me do it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
TheLeader
Private

Re: Higby's Stream + HUD Issues

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]

- Killed notifications - Please allow this to be disabled. Upper right hand corner shows who killed who. I don't care about who killed who, all I need to know is the condition of my squad at a glance. It takes up space on my screen and is in a popup/flash form that can be distracting.

Did you ever play the original planetside? maybe you dont understand how much of an awesome thing this is.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
TaintedPaladin
Private

Kill notifications are a valuable source of intel, you can tell when those defenders down the stairs have fallen and you need adjust your planning. Just one of many examples.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ale
Corporal

Not reading killspam is a poor choice for anyone wanting to be situationally aware. That said, there should be an option to toggle anything and everything. because PC game.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ale View Post
That said, there should be an option to toggle anything and everything. because PC game.
Indeed. The UI is ALL about personal preferences.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Kran De Loy
Captain

With the level of customization for iPads and Androids and what not that was been boasted about at E3 I would down right expect the same level of customization to be available for the actual game client.

Originally Posted by Ale View Post
because PC game.
I just raged so hard because of that comment and why it's an actual legitimate point/concern.

I have no hate for consoles.

I do have oceans worth of hate for developers that bank on making consoles 'accessible for all players' by removing options.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-07-10 at 05:59 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Higby said in twitch chat about the large massages. they where a bit of a pain and he will look into it. if they where smaller they would be ok.

i agree with the kill notifications. not bothered who kills who, aslong as i and my squad are still breathing its all good

the red screen is a pain. blood around the edges or something would be ok. maybe battlefield style. you have to have something though.

Originally Posted by TaintedPaladin View Post
Kill notifications are a valuable source of intel, you can tell when those defenders down the stairs have fallen and you need adjust your planning. Just one of many examples.
not unless you know the name of the guys downstairs lol. i know what you mean but that is where communication of your team comes in tbh. i never found it any use for any fps. i always relied on intel from my fellow team mates. either in chat or over what ever voice system you use with friends ect

just imo
Old 2012-07-10, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
deltase
Corporal

I want there to a option to remove the signs and alerts on my screen. Its to big and distracting. If they wont do that, at least make them smaller.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Just because another game uses it does not make it bad.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
TAA
Staff Sergeant

- Center screen info alerts - Please allow this to be disabled.
- Killed notifications - Please allow this to be disabled.
YES and YES!

I also want to be able to turn off all 3D indicators. I dont need to see floating icons everywhere.

Last edited by TAA; 2012-07-10 at 07:34 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
infected
Staff Sergeant

i completely agree with the OP. the hud should be a utility, not a distracting show of display.

the center message is massive and needs to go.

the top right corner (kill messages) needs to fade in and out and scroll slowly, so as not to alert/distract us from what we are doing.

i also noted that one of the objectives in 3d had like a hologram-style thing and you couldn't see the enemy on the other side. it was obstructing the view of the player. no need for it to be so massive in size. (like the annoying objective gui in red orchestra that you can toggle off because it gets in your way)
Old 2012-07-10, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Canaris
Contributor
General

I am really digging the sound effects, and the base art is beautiful! Drooled all over my keyboard watching the tank fighting on Indar.

Design Issues:

- Center screen info alerts - Please allow this to be disabled. The influence from BF3 is obvious regarding the center screen 'Base Defended' flashes (size, art, and location). They were one of the things I most disliked about BF3 and am disappointed they are being reproduced. It is extremely annoying to be playing a game where my visual acuity is of top priority only to have half my screen taken up by a message that can be displayed 1/10 the size and out of my FOV.
(I am aware of the Dev posts regarding this, and am under the impression that the size and location of certain alerts will remain. The size and location are my concern.)

- Killed notifications - Please allow this to be disabled. Upper right hand corner shows who killed who. I don't care about who killed who, all I need to know is the condition of my squad at a glance. It takes up space on my screen and is in a popup/flash form that can be distracting.

- Red pulsing screen frame - Please allow this to be disabled. If I get wounded all my concentration needs to be on hitting my foe in a vital spot, not silently thanking God that I am not an epileptic.
I'd go one further beyond just having an on/off for the first two problems and make it so they can be resized and moved around the HUD or placed into chat channel alerts for ease on the eyes.

definitely agree on the last issue, I don't mind a red shot direction indicator but they need to leave the strawberry jam in sandwich's and not on my HUD

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-07-10 at 06:22 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Charred
Private

Center screen info alerts - Please allow this to be disabled. The influence from BF3 is obvious regarding the center screen 'Base Defended' flashes (size, art, and location). They were one of the things I most disliked about BF3 and am disappointed they are being reproduced. It is extremely annoying to be playing a game where my visual acuity is of top priority only to have half my screen taken up by a message that can be displayed 1/10 the size and out of my FOV.
(I am aware of the Dev posts regarding this, and am under the impression that the size and location of certain alerts will remain. The size and location are my concern.)
"Yes, that facility defended stuff is fixed in the latest build, but not the build we were just playtesting. Drives me nuts too."

@mhigby
Old 2012-07-10, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Jeepo
Corporal

Full customization would rock, particularly having an off option for all of it. All I want is an ammo count and my squad status. The rest is just fluff.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jeepo View Post
Full customization would rock, particularly having an off option for all of it. All I want is an ammo count and my squad status. The rest is just fluff.
For me its: names of people in squad, an indicator that comes on to tell me who is using the voice channel, a small chat window that fades out of view quickly, facility/capture point status and status of shields. I prefer visual indicators of health (eg. screen turning grey) but will take a discrete bar next to my shield status bar if I have to.

I can do without crap like crosshairs, ammo count, 3D icons, minimap, kill displays, notifications, etc. All that stuff breaks immersion for me and I would like to turn it off.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Dart
Second Lieutenant

I couldn't disagree more about the Kill Spam. As other have said - the situationally aware soldier uses the kill spam to keep an eye on who is where around him. For instance if I see a friendly run past me down some stairs I check his name - if he then dies 15 seconds later I know exactly WHO killed and with WHAT and I have a good idea WHERE. That is invaluable information. I'd rather see it there permanently, instead of having it fade out. Although I'm all for giving us the choice. The less people who use the tools their given, the less competent players I'll have to fight against!

Speaking of HUD issues - did the Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) system seem poor to anyone else? I was finding it very difficult, at a glance, to tell which faction players belonged to and judging by the amount of TKing we saw at E3 and again last night, I'm obviously not the only one.

There also needs to be some kind of Outfit Tag or Outfit Name display beneath friendly players.

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
I can do without crap like crosshairs, ammo count, 3D icons, minimap, kill displays, notifications, etc. All that stuff breaks immersion for me and I would like to turn it off.
If you're not joking I find this staggering. Each to their own, that's cool but you're effectively tying both hands behind your back in an FPS. Without all of the things you've just listed, if you ever managed to have a positive impact on a battlefield you'd have to be an incredible player. Although, if you were, there is no way you'd dream of disabling all that information.

I'm not trying to tell you how to play - and if that's how you enjoy PS2, more power to you! I just hope you're never guarding me while I'm capturing a base!

Last edited by Dart; 2012-07-10 at 08:29 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion