Snipers in PS2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey no fair my mousepad is broken!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-03, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
EZShot
Corporal

Re: Snipers in PS2

Really gets on my nerves that people are whining about snipers.

A: if you are stupid enough to be out of cover, running in a straight line with no friendlies to provide support then you deserve to be OSKd in the face.

B: If you wanna nerf it down to the point where it's unusable then just take it outta the game.

C: Why shouldn't a sniper be able to OSK a light infantry man? They are quick moving (difficult to get a bead on) and have jetpacks....you miss one shot as a sniper and they jetpack away into the nearest cover.

It's seems to me like the people who are bitching about all of this are the people who don't have the sense to keep their head down in these situations. Sniping can be a very rewarding experience for both the people sniping and the targets as it gives a sense of danger. It also seems like nobody wants to be killed....go figure

The same argument you are all applying to the sniper rifle could very well apply to the bigger tank weapons. How many times have I been a random foot soldier when a Vanguard tank missile comes in like mortar from well outside the SOI of the base and takes me out in one hit....."NERF THEM!!!11!"

If you don't like the fact that there are 10 snipers on that hill, coordinate a counter and get a few buddies with reavers to go up there and mangle them all....problem solved. It's the adapting and conquering that will make this game fun.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
A: if you are stupid enough to be out of cover, running in a straight line with no friendlies to provide support then you deserve to be OSKd in the face.

B: If you wanna nerf it down to the point where it's unusable then just take it outta the game.

C: Why shouldn't a sniper be able to OSK a light infantry man? They are quick moving (difficult to get a bead on) and have jetpacks....you miss one shot as a sniper and they jetpack away into the nearest cover.
The only thing snipers could 1 shot in PS1 were Infiltrators and it worked out just fine, there were plenty of people getting kills still. The cone bloom for moving your crosshair kept people from quick-scoping shots and you still had to lead your targets if they were moving.

So why change what works really well and requires skill?

And I ask this as a PS1 sniper with easily hundreds if not a couple thousand kills with the Bolt Driver, that thing was a beast.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Cone bloom for moving a crosshair is ridiculous, it means that the only kind of sniping that is viable is ambush sniping. If a sniper has the ability to follow a light infantryman with a jetpeck, lead him, and compensate for bullet drop such that he'll hit that guy in the head, why on earth does he not deserve that kill which wouldn't be possible if his moving the scope meant he lost all accuracy?

Why should ambush sniping be the only viable tactic, instead of allowing for lead sniping? (something that takes an incredible amount more skill)
Old 2012-04-03, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
bullet
First Sergeant

I thought the sniping in PS1 was fine and I usually wanted a sniper on my side, I dont know why you wouldnt want them. They keep troops locked down or in cover so friendlies can move up. When I resubbed a few months ago, it seemed there weren't many snipers on our side so I picked up that role to keep people locked down and stop the damn thumper spam over the walls.

The only problem with PS1 sniping was the net code. Trying to land that second shot as people teleported through walls and instantly jumped back and forth was the most annoying thing ever. Oh, another thing, that damn fog that ate them and they disappeared into the abyss...
Old 2012-04-03, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Duddy
First Sergeant

Got to say, never liked sniping in any game other than Planetside for a myriad of reasons.

I'll be sad to see if they opt for a model more like current popular FPS series.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
laelgon
Corporal

The problem with a lot of these pro-one-hit kill arguments is that people seem to be thinking there's only going to be a couple of snipers in a huge battle. When you give an infantry class a one-hit kill, you can pretty much guarantee you're going to end up with a lot of people playing it. We all remember the battles with a couple squads on the other side of a hill near a base. There were usually a couple snipers on both sides to keep people's heads down, but they weren't killing every person who popped up to fire off a rocket or something. Give people one-shot kills like battlefield, with netcode much better than PS1, and we're going to end up with sniper battles.

Also, giving snipers a cloak seems like enough of an advantage. Allowing someone to one-shot someone while (partially) invisible from long range is going to frustrate a lot of people. No one enjoys getting killed with no way to even try to defend themselves.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Bullet drop (or TF2 recharge for VS) + "CoF rest" = good sniping

PlanetSide 2 is going to have much faster TTK compared to the original, so I think OSOK headshots are fine as long as the formula above works. Otherwise snipers will be not just ineffective, but pointless, for any tool with assault rifle wil be able to outshoot them, even long-range.

Originally Posted by laelgon View Post
The problem with a lot of these pro-one-hit kill arguments is that people seem to be thinking there's only going to be a couple of snipers in a huge battle. When you give an infantry class a one-hit kill, you can pretty much guarantee you're going to end up with a lot of people playing it. We all remember the battles with a couple squads on the other side of a hill near a base. There were usually a couple snipers on both sides to keep people's heads down, but they weren't killing every person who popped up to fire off a rocket or something. Give people one-shot kills like battlefield, with netcode much better than PS1, and we're going to end up with sniper battles.

Also, giving snipers a cloak seems like enough of an advantage. Allowing someone to one-shot someone while (partially) invisible from long range is going to frustrate a lot of people. No one enjoys getting killed with no way to even try to defend themselves.
Snipers will no longer hold any means to defend themselves against vehicles or multiple enemies up close. So one jet will just have a frafest if they are spotted.

EDIT: Aye, and you can't shoot while invisible.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-04-03 at 08:29 AM.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
Cone bloom for moving a crosshair is ridiculous, it means that the only kind of sniping that is viable is ambush sniping. If a sniper has the ability to follow a light infantryman with a jetpeck, lead him, and compensate for bullet drop such that he'll hit that guy in the head, why on earth does he not deserve that kill which wouldn't be possible if his moving the scope meant he lost all accuracy?

Why should ambush sniping be the only viable tactic, instead of allowing for lead sniping? (something that takes an incredible amount more skill)
Wut?

Sorry, can you define the difference between "ambush sniping" and "lead sniping"?

Something that should also probably be mentioned, is the extremity of bullet drop/bullet travel time. Simply having "bullet drop" doesn't mean anything if you only need to shoot someone a head higher to compensate for it at max range...
Old 2012-04-03, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Something that should also probably be mentioned, is the extremity of bullet drop/bullet travel time. Simply having "bullet drop" doesn't mean anything if you only need to shoot someone a head higher to compensate for it at max range...
Not for the sake of argument:
BTT and bulletdrop are the exact reason, why sniping is not OP. You can jump away from the shot when it's already fired. I'm pretty sure people who don't see this never played Counter-Strike or any other hit-scan game.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
Also maybe you wont have so much trouble with snipers not being able to go prone in PS2, something that the entire BF3 community rallied for i might add. *cough*
Only bad snipers prone.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
Only bad snipers prone.
Find him in 5 seconds

Old 2012-04-03, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Find him in 5 seconds

You gave me 2 seconds more than I needed.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
You gave me 2 seconds more than I needed.
Congratulations, he's already managed to fire his first round!

Don't spoil it for the rest
Old 2012-04-03, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Ruwyn
Corporal

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You can jump away from the shot when it's already fired. I'm pretty sure people who don't see this never played Counter-Strike or any other hit-scan game.
LOL at jumping away from a shot that you are probably too busy to know is on its way. If we see a guy running across a field jumping wildly I guess we know who it is.....
Old 2012-04-03, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
If a sniper has the ability to follow a light infantryman with a jetpeck, lead him, and compensate for bullet drop such that he'll hit that guy in the head, why on earth does he not deserve that kill which wouldn't be possible if his moving the scope meant he lost all accuracy
Because what you're asking for will lead to quick-scoping one shot kills. I know a number of people, myself included, who could abuse the hell out of that at ANY range, we would no longer be giving up our close range effectiveness for long range, we'd be beyond effective at all ranges.

We already do this in other games, like Battlefield 3, you think that bullet drop or travel time means anything at close range? You think it matters that I have to scope in to an 8x zoom to fire at close range when I've already lined up the shot without the scope easily?

One hit kill weapons are broken, especially one that can be effective at all ranges. This is just another reason why I'm also against headshots being a damage multiplier, Planetside 1 worked very well without it, Planetside 2 can too.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion