Think we need a Huey? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because your work computer can't render 200 surgile jackwhores.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-11, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Canaris
Contributor
General

Think we need a Huey?

Just wanted to get PS-U crewz take on a new type of aerial transport for PS2

I'm of the belief they made the Galaxy to big for the style of game and terrain in PS2, it worked well in the original due to the more openess of the maps but when you're trying to get extracted from bases I see the transports always end up either in each others faces or colliding with... well EVERYTHING.
As the Zapper would say

As you all know I'm a fan of military equipment and history, I like to try and work out what PS2 is missing and how to implement it into the game without effecting the game to much (The dev's could use a spot of that when developing vehicles, the crazy places you can find Harassers & up until recently Magriders)

but back to the topic at hand I was thinking of a light aerial troop transport that has good handling, speed and size to reflect PS2 new style but that had the room to hold a half squad.

I kind of want to base it on the Huey as it is an iconic type of transport and small enough.

How I'd set it up if it was me

6 man aerial transport.

Pilot
Main gunner
2x Side gunners in rumble seats for standard infantry only (yes they can be hit)
2x passenger seats capable of taking MAX units

So the questions now to ask, would a light aerial transport help the game or be detrimental to it?
I can see it working but we have many smart people on here that might point out the major draw backs I'm not seeing or don't feel would out weigh the cost.

Discuss

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-06-11, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Re: Think we need a Huey?

Nice, and a lot more useful than the Galaxy in it's present form.

Would the MAXes be able to shoot out?
Old 2013-06-11, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
PredatorFour
Major

Would be a good idea, an 'Harrasser of the skies'. Something a small squad could hop aboard and move quickly around Auraxis. Quick troop transports would be a welcome addition.

You could also have a non combat option where you can have a cloak, like the phanty, but it runs out like the flash does currently.
Old 2013-06-11, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fara
Corporal

Harasser of the skies or.. the new Phantasm.

Both are small squad transports, except one is very visible with guns possibly even open doors/rumble seats for infantry/maxes to fire from. The other (phantasm) would be a stealth variant similar to the ATV Wraith no guns.

At any rate, ask now and if popular see it in 12 months from now.
Old 2013-06-11, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

A really great idea. Good job on the presentation as well, you have really sold me on the idea.
Old 2013-06-11, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I like this idea a lot, and I don't really see any drawbacks although it doesn't need a cloak.

Reason I say this is that in PS1 there were things to do behind enemy lines that warranted some cloaking to get undetected, but in PS2 I really dont see any use for it.

The rumble seats and MAX slots are a good idea, but dont allow MAX firing out because I immediately predict hovering, flying, pockets of AA death, and we really don't need more forms of AA in the skies also.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-06-11, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrMak
Sergeant Major

The way i always pictured this sort of vehicle is kind of how Dice handled the MI-24 in Bad Company 2's multiplayer.

They removed the heavy weapons leaving only primary gun essentialy turing it to something in between an Atack Helicopter and a transport chopper.

The nose gun would have some diferent options mainly arial versions of what we got on the harasser except the AA guns.

Would also have utilites avaliable like smokel aunchers on the sides or a Phantasm module similar to the flash Wraith module.

I dont think the side guns would be necessary though. The nose turret would be suficient forproviding cover just make them regular rumble seats but only put one internal slot for a MAX (the gal needs to retain some sort of advantage over pulling 2 of these in addition to no hotdroping)

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-06-11 at 08:19 AM.
Old 2013-06-11, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Aveox
Private

I was immediately thinking of the Low Altitude Attack Transport from Star Wars when I read the thread title.

And yes, the Galaxy is currently far too big for it’s own good. Instead of introducing a completely new vehicle they could ofcourse shrink the existing Galaxy considerably, open up the sides and add rumble seats.
Old 2013-06-11, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

it would be cool - but they would have to be highly vulnerable to everything like a harrasser.
Old 2013-06-11, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
TheAadvark
Corporal

With mini- Shredders on the side !! OP OP OP! okay. okay.. no
Old 2013-06-11, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
And that's how BL4 Crash Site appeared on Esamir.

I'll make some constructive comment later, if you don't mind...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-06-11, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I like it! Sure there's always going to be a need for the Gal because sometimes you want the effect of dropping a full squad on some suckers (Just don't do it on a Magrider like it's a BFR).
Give this thing speed, agility, enough firepower to be defensive but not wholly offensive with a much smaller footprint and it'd be pretty pimp.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-11, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

This would be a cool set up.

Vulnerable as a Harrasser.

As maneuverable an and almost as fast as a ESF(no afterburner)

5 man crew(1 pilot, 2 gunners. 2 passengers)

No pilot gun.

2 harrasser guns - ON THE SAME SIDE.

It would die super easy but would be extremely fun.
Old 2013-06-11, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
AThreatToYou
Major

I was going to previously suggest a Huey-style Phantasm, but then I decided my own idea was shit because no one ever listens to me and the idea was too crazy.

In short, a 6-person transport [including driver] would be a very nice addition.
Old 2013-06-11, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
Nice, and a lot more useful than the Galaxy in it's present form.

Would the MAXes be able to shoot out?
I think Thunderhawk makes a good point about them not being able to shoot out due to the Max's potential firepower which is why I put them inside in the safe passenger seats in my setup.

@MrMak: Wouldn't be much of a Huey if it didn't have have 2 rumble seats with machine gunners , I'm not saying they should be shredders only heavy machine guns capable of protecting the transport from air attacking from the side or able to sweep the ground for soft targets, not to much AV damage as a balance. Aircraft would still be able to attack it's vunerable sides, bottom, top & rear.

@Ghoest: 6 is the magic number, half a full squad, I'd throw in a third passenger seat for your setup just to keep it even and so poor lil Tim isn't left on his lonesome when everyone else has flown off

@bPostal: exactly what I was thinking

I like the turn of phrase of a sky Harasser which was the idea, low armour for the benefit of speed and manoeuvrability. Some great ideas for future versions too

Seems the biggest bone of contention is if to have a front gunner or not, for me I was imagining the it having access to a very limited variety of weapons, most for softening up potential drop zones for when the crew drop out. You think a bulldog style weapon would be to much?

P.S. @ Newsith: lol No Auraxis franchise for us

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-06-11 at 10:29 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion