If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WWSJD???
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Kaw
Corporal

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
Relax everyone! No one is going to copy PS2, for the same reason no one copied Eve Online and everyone copied WoW.

The WoW model is about building content for your players and then leading them through it. Its fairly easy to code, well proven, everyone knows how it works and that it does fine, and it can be played casually. Its a broad market game.

Eve and PS2 are both in the realm of games where content comes from the playerbase interacting with itself. You're not building quests and hunting dungeons for them, at least you shouldnt be if you understand it. Its a harder sell to investors and frankly harder to do right.

Eve and PS2 are not a model for capturing the MMO market. Its a niche because you're playing to hardcore gamers who want to be closely interacting with your world. It's not a casual thing. That MEANS a smaller market, but also a more fanatic one.

Any marketing person can tell you this. You don't build something for your hardcore users and expect it to capture the broad market.

PS2 will sit in its niche and it will do well. It will stay there and make good money for a long time, I expect. It will never unseat casual MMOs and we shouldnt expect it to.
A long time ago a company called SOE made a game called Everquest. It was really innovative and cool, so other companies tried to copy it. One of these companies, Blizzard, released a game called World of Warcraft which completely stole Everquest's thunder.

Also, PS2 is trying to be a more mainstream game than its predecessor. This is part of what is causing every other thread on this site to be complaints that some feature is being changed from how it worked in the original Planetside.

The sort of thing that this thread is concerned about has happened before, and it has especially happened to SOE before. I don't think anybody really needs to worry about it for at least the next year or two, but if PS2 is successful somebody is going to want to steal a share of the money.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Skorne
Private

I happen to know from an ex-Blizzard employee that Titan is just an internal name for the CoD MMO. No doubt that will be met with scepticism but it's up to you if you choose to believe it or not. I for one am glad about this because I have no interest whatsoever in playing a CoD MMO and it will filter a lot of the less desirable types from PS2. I know not all CoD players are annoying but a lot of them are lets face it.

Bad news is PS2 will obviously suffer for it too. I can just imagine all the MMOFPS press coverage being on Titan once it's announced and PS2 will barely get a mention. I just hope the player base is large enough to see the full potential of PS2 realised.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
IIChaosOfWarIII
Private

A Halo MMOFPS would be almost/just as good as Planetside 2 in my opinion. (Been a huge halo fan since 01) But Bungie would not develop it 343i would as Bungie no longer has rights to Halo.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by IIChaosOfWarIII View Post
A Halo MMOFPS would be almost/just as good as Planetside 2 in my opinion. (Been a huge halo fan since 01) But Bungie would not develop it 343i would as Bungie no longer has rights to Halo.
I can only imagine all the bunny hopping master chiefs in the thousands throwing grenades in all directions.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by Skorne View Post
I happen to know from an ex-Blizzard employee that Titan is just an internal name for the CoD MMO. No doubt that will be met with scepticism but it's up to you if you choose to believe it or not. I for one am glad about this because I have no interest whatsoever in playing a CoD MMO and it will filter a lot of the less desirable types from PS2. I know not all CoD players are annoying but a lot of them are lets face it.

Bad news is PS2 will obviously suffer for it too. I can just imagine all the MMOFPS press coverage being on Titan once it's announced and PS2 will barely get a mention. I just hope the player base is large enough to see the full potential of PS2 realised.
I could see that. The Blizzard Activision merger was in 2009, and I don't think we heard about Titan or that it would be an MMOFPS until 2010. It would be a logical move by Activision since it would basically be merging their two biggest cash cows. Regardless, according to that leaked product timeline from 2010, Titan was tentatively scheduled for Q4 2013. I don't think we are going to have to worry about it until 2014 or 2015.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Envenom
Sergeant Major

When Bioware makes my Mass Effect MMO, PS will be dead to me.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Skorne View Post
I happen to know from an ex-Blizzard employee that Titan is just an internal name for the CoD MMO. No doubt that will be met with scepticism but it's up to you if you choose to believe it or not.
Hell yea this will be met with skepticism
Old 2012-06-01, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Pepsi
Sergeant

Bungie's new game will be close competition.

Calling it now. MMOFPS.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
bullet
First Sergeant

Planetside 3 (year 2023) is going to steal its thunder. You remember this post, remember it well.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
When Bioware makes my Mass Effect MMO, PS will be dead to me.
It will be swtor all over again....

To OP. I dont think anyone really will try compete or have a product that will be able to compete. There are many examples of games that have tried to do large scale fps like Arma for instance. Its a niche style of game, for those with patience and love for long term tactics. But as you can see by numbers and sales, people love that fast passed hop style of shooter.

Too many developers have tried to jump to near by genres, like BioWare, and have just failed to deliver the same quality from what they have been known best for. Another example would be Bethesda and them making Brink.

Last edited by SpcFarlen; 2012-06-02 at 12:04 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I think that Sony is pretty unique in their engineering background. You really need good engineers to create the backend for an MMOFPS, so I'm not really sure whether PS1 will have competition in the near future.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
cryosin
Master Sergeant

I wouldn't worry about it.

If the rumors are true that the new Xbox is gonna have a 6670, then an MMOFPS might as well be a 64 player map.

MASSIVE!! for a console....

COD has been making the same game for 20 years, they don't know how to make an MMOFPS. Wish em luck.

Bungie I could see, but Halo is successful because of its arena feel and its single player. People still enjoy that and I think an MMOFPS would not always gather all the fan base. And again, the new consoles seem to be very sub-par performance wise, looking at rumors at least.

And then you also have speculation that Planetside will make it to PS4... in which case it wont matter that Bungie makes an MMOFPS. It would be a nice fanboi console war though

As for Blizzard, I don't see it happening. They tried to make a third person shooter, StarCraft : Ghost. It was cancelled... for whatever reasons. Making an MMOFPS would require so much investment I doubt they would undertake it. Also, the "rabid blizzard fanbase" that you speak of.... they love RTS and RPG's... not FPS. I know this because I am friends with people who instantly buy every blizzard game on launch day. They don't play shooters, or at least not to the degree we might.

If anything we would see an MMORPG(Guild Wars/Skyrim etc.) fighting for the spotlight.

Doing something so original and high-tech is going to leave the competition out in the dust. Unless they've been planning something for a while, its going to be very hard to compete.

Also... there's dust 541 on PS3 already. There really isn't a spotlight to steal, its a very unique thing.

People think WoW was famous cause of blizzard, but really it was just fast spread word of mouth. If planetside 2 becomes the new WoW, it's gonna stay the new WoW for a long long time.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-02, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Speaking as a gamer, I can think of a lot of really amazing potential MMOFPSs that i'd love to play.

I'd love to see an MMOFPS with twitch FPS gameplay similar to Unreal Tournament - I love that gameplay style and think it could be made into a very cool MMOFPS.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't announce Halo online soon, seems like a no brainer for the 720 (if they call it that).

I'm looking forward to playing Firefall and I think Defiance will be pretty cool with the TV show tie in too.

Now, would any of these steal Planetside 2's thunder? No way. We're not tourists or newcomers on MMOFPS mountain, this is our hill and we have been and will remain the kings of this hill.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Speaking as a gamer, I can think of a lot of really amazing potential MMOFPSs that i'd love to play.

I'd love to see an MMOFPS with twitch FPS gameplay similar to Unreal Tournament - I love that gameplay style and think it could be made into a very cool MMOFPS.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't announce Halo online soon, seems like a no brainer for the 720 (if they call it that).

I'm looking forward to playing Firefall and I think Defiance will be pretty cool with the TV show tie in too.

Now, would any of these steal Planetside 2's thunder? No way. We're not tourists or newcomers on MMOFPS mountain, this is our hill and we have been and will remain the kings of this hill.
You know a game is gonna be good when the creative director has such confidence that he hopes for competition to come out so he can play them too.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Yes, yes it could... if only there was some MMOFPS still in development that could change its heading.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion