If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Seriously dude... Where's my Harasser?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-05-30, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hehateme
Private

Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
It's not.

Step 1. Is the content fun to play with?
Step 2. Is the content fun to play against?
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it.

Welcome to basically everything I was talking about.
Seriously, why can't you comprehend this. Just because your ideas are different, does not make them "correct". While I agree with most of you opinions, who are we to decide what is right.

Let's look at your steps from two perspectives, about BFR's, shall we ?

Perspective #1 let's call him xSAraisx to keep an anonymous form.
Step 1. Are BFR's fun to play with? YES
Step 2. Are BFR's fun to play against. YES (while I'm assuming yes, he's implied at least once that it is possible to beat, so fair assumption.)
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it. Well by xSArais's standpoint, keep BFR's in the game.

Perspective #2 keeping with the anonymous format, let's call him xEffectivex
Step 1. Are BFR's fun to play with? NO
Step 2. Are BFR's fun to play against? NO
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it. Well by xEffective's standpoint, get rid of BFR's completely.

Now do you see the issue? You're assuming that your view is 100% correct, and while I agree with it, we cannot assume everyone will be okay with this.

Nitpicking, or removing/altering certain things will cause a split in the community. See my quotes below.

Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
Trust me this is a bad idea. Besides the fact that it is pointless, it will divide the community. Look at Quake/CS in their respected primes. Quake 3 had CPMa(best)/vq3/osp/ra3/Freezetag/insta/.... list goes on. CounterStrike had 1.everything till 1.6 was established competitive mode. All these community splits were based off of minor changes.
Originally Posted by SArais View Post
We're obviously never going to agree on these things. Split it into two servers, Those who want everything in CC and BFR, and those who don't.
Oh God, it's happening! This kind of attitude split the quake/CS communities, two games with a much, much bigger playerbase. IF Planetside were to ever released as an Open source, we need 1 server. Anymore would cause everything to fail.
Old 2014-05-30, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Seriously, why can't you comprehend this. Just because your ideas are different, does not make them "correct". While I agree with most of you opinions, who are we to decide what is right.

Let's look at your steps from two perspectives, about BFR's, shall we ?

Perspective #1 let's call him xSAraisx to keep an anonymous form.
Step 1. Are BFR's fun to play with? YES
Step 2. Are BFR's fun to play against. YES (while I'm assuming yes, he's implied at least once that it is possible to beat, so fair assumption.)
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it. Well by xSArais's standpoint, keep BFR's in the game.

Perspective #2 keeping with the anonymous format, let's call him xEffectivex
Step 1. Are BFR's fun to play with? NO
Step 2. Are BFR's fun to play against? NO
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it. Well by xEffective's standpoint, get rid of BFR's completely.

Now do you see the issue? You're assuming that your view is 100% correct, and while I agree with it, we cannot assume everyone will be okay with this.

Nitpicking, or removing/altering certain things will cause a split in the community. See my quotes below.
Nope, pretty sure my Ideas are correct. BFR's are fun to fight if you're a masochist I guess.

There's more than 3 steps ultimately, but that was an extremely simplified form.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2014-05-30 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2014-05-30, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hehateme
Private

Nope, pretty sure my Ideas are correct. BFR's are fun to fight if you're a masochist I guess.

There's more than 3 steps ultimately, but that was an extremely simplified form.
Honestly, BFR's killed this game, yes. However, that is because of how they were when they were released. BFR's haven't been OP since they were first nerf'd whenever that happened. People left because of OP BFR's but they've been fine for years.
Old 2014-05-30, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Honestly, BFR's killed this game, yes. However, that is because of how they were when they were released. BFR's haven't been OP since they were first nerf'd whenever that happened. People left because of OP BFR's but they've been fine for years.
Fine as in it not broken firepower, but not fine in that they're still incredibly annoying to deal with if the pilot isn't pants on head retarded. There really isn't a way to kill someone who uses a BFR in a intelligent fashion (stay in groups, far enough apart to avoid being OS'd close enough to provide cover fire against infantry/anyone trying to hit shield generators).

A really big part of the problem is the shield and flight variants, removal of these would go a long way towards getting BFR's in a spot that they actually become fun to play against.

And no, Jammers don't not work more effectively against BFR's. Yes, it reduces movement speed and refire rate. However, when you hit a regular vehicle with a jammer, it stops them from firing period. Hitting them with a second jammer refreshes the timer on the vehicle being jammed.

Hitting a BFR with a second or third jammer has never worked properly. You have to wait for it to become unjammed first, then hit it with another jammer.

Last edited by Effective; 2014-05-30 at 11:19 PM.
Old 2014-05-30, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zeta
Private

If SOE sees a thread with 3 pages of agreement and consensus then maybe, maybe, they might act. But if they see a thread with 3 pages of non-consensus and disagreement then they wont touch it.
Old 2014-05-31, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
If SOE sees a thread with 3 pages of agreement and consensus then maybe, maybe, they might act. But if they see a thread with 3 pages of non-consensus and disagreement then they wont touch it.
They're not going to act either way.

Old 2014-05-31, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zeta
Private

They're not going to act either way.
I know ;) They already said there'd be no support. I'm just attesting to the fact that like most things in life, you generally need a consensus first before you see action.

Last edited by Zeta; 2014-05-31 at 12:15 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion