IR/NV - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now 10% less pointy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-11, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Towe
Private

IR/NV

What is this bullshit with IR and NV working perfectly during day, even showing enemies much better than normal sights?

Imo there should be almost no contrast on NV during the day, IR could get a LITTLE more contrast but shouldnt be able to see terrain.

Just a quick thought about how to solve this, I would be fine with almost everything that made it a stupid move to use those in daylight.

Oh yea, and make night last a bit longer, otherwise it might not be worth it switching to IR/NV. Maybe a longer night on Amerish and a shorter one on Indar? Just a thought, discuss...

EDIT: I thought everybody new, but seems not so I have to edit this in:
Dont forget that there is vehicle IR/NV. While infantry often gives up zoom, vehicles do that much less since they cant get much zoom anyway. Also for alot of vehicles it would be much harder to detect infantry without using IR/NV.

Last edited by Towe; 2013-01-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2013-01-11, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: IR/NV

No.

I use NV pretty much all the time. Why? To be able to see.

Day/night is ok as it is.
Old 2013-01-11, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Ir nv for both vehicles and infantry needs a big nerf. Its too much of an ez mode. Its just stupid op on vehicles, you dont really have to look to be able to discern every infantry and vehicle within sight. For infantry you can pick out cloaked infiltrators too easily and it works great through smoke, daylight and almost everything else that you can throw at it. These nightvision add ons need to be fixed so the other sughts would be just as useful.
Old 2013-01-11, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
OnyxD
Private

To be fair, on infantry guns IRNV does have it's drawbacks as well. It doesn't have a zoom and really cuts down on peripheral vision. It also can take time to get used to the sudden switch of colour scheme.

Having said that IRNV is my favourite scope.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Ir nv for both vehicles and infantry needs a big nerf. Its too much of an ez mode. Its just stupid op on vehicles, you dont really have to look to be able to discern every infantry and vehicle within sight. For infantry you can pick out cloaked infiltrators too easily and it works great through smoke, daylight and almost everything else that you can throw at it. These nightvision add ons need to be fixed so the other sughts would be just as useful.
Agreed completely. I use IRNV on every weapon and/or vehicle that I can. The only weapons I don't have it on are the beamer and long range sniper.

It's too good to not use right now, hopefully it gets changed. Although to be honest, the main reason I use it is the muzzle flash from the guns is extremely distracting for me, to the point that my aim is horrible without the IRNV.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
No.

I use NV pretty much all the time. Why? To be able to see.

Day/night is ok as it is.
You are part of the problem.

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mavvvy
Corporal

The infrared certainly is borked, passive infrared nightvision should not be highlighting units as it does. While thermal seem's to me that its working as it should be, plus it seems to have a shorter range then rendering distance which seems balanced to me.

Besides its not like your visible if someone keeps spamming a button in your rough direction..grrrr...
Old 2013-01-11, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

It's not as good long range as everyone thinks. It's either IRNV or Zoom and since not everyone is able to do precision shooting, I think it balances itself out.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SeraphC
Sergeant

IR should not be handicapped during daytimes, you should see just as well as you normally do. IR shouldn't highlight stuff though (not if you want it realistically).

That being said I like IR the way it is. (I am part of the problem!) It would be a bit to hard to see anything on the ground without sticking your nose up it's ass in aircraft if it weren't available.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

For a minute I thought I had stumbled into the BF3 forums...

Having jumped into a Lib that was setup with IRNV on the Zephyr, I have to say it seemed excessivley good. Maybe make a suit ability that can counter the effects?
Old 2013-01-11, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think Intercoolers should be a certable upgrade that hides your heat signature. At the cost of whatever defensive ability you don't have.

But at least we don't have IR goggles...those would be much more massively OP.

Old 2013-01-11, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rolfski
Major

They already have their limits so instead of nerfing them I would rather have an option to counter them. Wearing some sort of anti-thermal armor would make it difficult to be spotted by these optics. The trade-off being that it requires a suit slot that could be used for other useful armors.
Old 2013-01-11, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
IamEternal
Private

As an Infiltrator, I hate these. Cloaking is pointless. There should be a cert with the cloaking that eliminates it when the cloak is activated.
Old 2013-01-11, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
sneeek
Private

It's a bit illogical that an infiltrator's cloak works only for light of optical frequencies. Infrared is just a different band of frequencies compared to optical.

Here's an evil, money-grabbing idea for SOE: have an extortionately-priced cert (or cert chain) that upgrades the cloak to include infrared cloaking, or at least, better infrared cloaking. Call it wideband cloak, or something. Make it mutually exclusive with sound-reducing certs, so that you can either be very silent, or very cloaked.

Last edited by sneeek; 2013-01-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 2013-01-11, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Infrared optics work by using an infrared flashlight. This stuff should both be super short ranged and the guy who is using it should be lit up to everyone else using ir. Thermal is a completely different animal.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion