So you think you're good at First-Person-Shooting... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pie > Cake
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-13, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Illtempered
First Sergeant

So you think you're good at First-Person-Shooting...

Go try Quake3. No, not the ridiculous mods with uber weapons. Capture the Flag was my favorite Q3 game-type, but if you want to get owned, go play on some of the Vanilla 1v1 or DM servers. There's one DM server that pings about 90 for me, and always says "Adults Only".

Some of these guys have done nothing but play Quake, for the last 15 years, and it shows. If you spectate some of them, and watch the way they move around the map, strafe-jump, and aim, you can't be anything but impressed. They are artists in top-form, doing what they love and do best. If you want a pure, twitch-skill, FPS killfest, there's nothing else like it.

I don't mean to compare Quake to Planetside to say one is better than the other. They are entirely different animals. I moved to PS for a reason. I got tired of simply playing the twitch-game. Of course, Planetside can't compete with Quake when it comes to that game, and vice versa. Sometimes I like to go back and play a little Q3 to warm up for Planetside. Sometimes I get the feeling some people playing Planetside2, would rather be playing a game like Q3.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: So you think you're good at First-Person-Shooting...

Tribes > Quake. No, not T:A. Maybe, if you consider it worthy.
But then again, they are still two different beasts. The action in Tribes is fast, but the gameplay itself progresses at a rate that would almost be called slow. Not like Quake.

As to this,

Sometimes I get the feeling some people playing Planetside2, would rather be playing a game like Q3.
You are offering a discussion here, but I am not seeing what it is.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Actually I moved from Quake, to Tribes, then to PS, so I'm with you. I love the Tribes series, but lost interest after T2, and I still think the pure FPS skill is found in Quake.

As far as the discussion, I just hear a lot of people say "this game is easy" referring to Planetside. It may be easy in a twitch, Q3, kind of way, but if you want strategy and tactical team-play, on a massive scale, like I do, of course you should stick with Planetside2.

I can still log onto Quake once in a while to get my fix, but I sure miss skiing in Tribes. Thank god for Light Assault, and base-jumping off the Crown.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AThreatToYou
Major

What I hear the most out of PS is that it is too hard! Then again, these are new players who are not affiliated with Tribes or Quake.

That makes the scope of this thread a little small, to involve mostly the old-school PC gamers who are used to player skill capability in games [like Tribes or Quake] that will make them as hard as the players who play them. The real issue with PS2 then is that the game does not and really should not revolve around FPS-shooter-skill; PlanetSide has always been about strategy with a side of tactics.

So, yeah, if they think the shooting is a little too easy, go play Tribes or Quake again.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Yeah I would have never started this thread in the official forums. I figured people in this forum could relate

You basically have complaints from COD nubs that it's too hard, and vanilla-twitch-loving sluts that it's too easy. I guess that means it's about right.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

And Starcraft players complaining that the zerg doesn't listen
Old 2013-01-13, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Remzsz
Private

The problem is the lack of skillfull gunplay. Modern military shooters boil down to--- go into iron sights, hold down mouse button for half a second, kill, repeat. It feels soo shallow. I love games like Counter Strike and Day of defeat. Those games have a low TTK but due to the natural of their gunplay it is much more skillfull. REAL recoil, not just holding the mouse button down and getting a kill in half a second.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
And Starcraft players complaining that the zerg doesn't listen
this made me chuckle

The problem is the lack of skillfull gunplay.
In this regard [I read your whole post & reply to], I think the situation is not exactly that especially at range. If it were that, and suppose it is close enough, I find that the weapons are just boring. If we had weapons along the lines of UT, Tribes, or Quake, the gunplay would have much more variety. The problem with those weapons from a development standpoint is asymmetrical balance, but I still think the game would be better with something other than just guns that shoot bullets or equivalent. Guns that shoot bullets have their place, of course.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-13 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Assist
Contributor
Major

I started my gaming with Quake, then a ton of Quake 2 Lithium and ExpertCTF. I loved Quake3, I still play Quake Live sometimes, but for some reason I ping horribly in that game and Quake is more based on ping than any FPS imo. Quake2 is still the best game ever made in my opinion.

own-age did this video years ago(lots of years), brings back many memories of q3. Shame, most of these guys I havent seen in 5+ years. I think it's the best FPS video ever made, of any game. Very well editted and some amazing footage.

Old 2013-01-13, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Remzsz
Private

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
In this regard [I read your whole post & reply to], I think the situation is not exactly that especially at range. If it were that, and suppose it is close enough, I find that the weapons are just boring. If we had weapons along the lines of UT, Tribes, or Quake, the gunplay would have much more variety. The problem with those weapons from a development standpoint is asymmetrical balance, but I still think the game would be better with something other than just guns that shoot bullets or equivalent. Guns that shoot bullets have their place, of course.
I completely agree with you on weapon variety like Quake, UT(ut99 ftw), tribes. But those games have a much different TTK, and general gameplay style. They twitch, AND movement based shooters. I don't see SOE changing their shooter style from modern military shooter, to that of arena style. Thats why i mentioned Counter strike and Day of Defeat which planetside 2 is closer to imo when it comes to the style of fps it is.

I feel like TF2 is a good blend of the 2 styles, though it leans more to the arena side of shooters. The sidegrades in that game feel very different more so than just a minor stat change. And overall the weapon variety is pretty awesome.

Last edited by Remzsz; 2013-01-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

The shooting mechanics in this game leave a bit to be desired, so I wouldn't say the infantry battling is too easy; in fact I wish the game was a bit more CoD-esque in that, I feel like if I shoot you before you shoot me, I should be rewarded for my superior reflexes by blowing you away (at close to mid range anyway). But since I'm TR and a medic, they often just turn around and casually gun me down. It's frustrating sometimes.

But PS2's strategic aspect is... interesting. I've seen the difference between playing solo/with an unorganized platoon and playing with an organized platoon. The difference is like switching on easy mode. It becomes so much easier to gain exp and cap places when you play with a good, organized platoon. The problem though is that the Zerg is so overwhelming, smart platoons stay clear of it, but everyone else in the world flocks to it. So what you end up doing, quite often, is just running around the Zerg, back-capping and capping empty bases, never really getting into any protracted firefights with people. It's not as big of a problem on Indar since, ya know, everybody plays Indar, but it does get boring after awhile regardless.

Last edited by BlaxicanX; 2013-01-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Yup, Quake 3 is still the game with the best balancing and the most skill involved until today. You can't even kill a guy who is really good at it ONCE in a 1on1. You can love it and hate it at the same time
Old 2013-01-13, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I started my gaming with Quake, then a ton of Quake 2 Lithium and ExpertCTF. I loved Quake3, I still play Quake Live sometimes, but for some reason I ping horribly in that game and Quake is more based on ping than any FPS imo. Quake2 is still the best game ever made in my opinion.

own-age did this video years ago(lots of years), brings back many memories of q3. Shame, most of these guys I havent seen in 5+ years. I think it's the best FPS video ever made, of any game. Very well editted and some amazing footage.

302 Found
Assist, thank you so much for posting this. I had almost forgotten about this video. He is a God with the RL.

Do you have any videos you'd recommend of tricks like strafe-jumps/rocket-jumps/plasma-climbs? Strafe-jumping is like Ballet to me.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Assist, thank you so much for posting this. I had almost forgotten about this video. He is a God with the RL.

Do you have any videos you'd recommend of tricks like strafe-jumps/rocket-jumps/plasma-climbs? Strafe-jumping is like Ballet to me.
I'm guessing maybe you're refering to Tribulation - Another great vid, I think there's multiple ones he did, not sure. I don't know the guy who did this, but the shit he does is ridiculous. I remember spending an evening at LAN attempting to recreate some of it and ended up realizing the guy was ridiculous at doing this stuff.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
AThreatToYou
Major

There are some videos of Tribes that I could show you, but they are so old I can't freaking find them anymore. Oh well. If I recorded some of myself playing all those years ago, you could get the point. [I won a tournament with a team in 6v6, 3 of 3 games, mid-air flag pass over minedisc on enemy flag carrier it was over the top epic]

I completely agree with you on weapon variety like Quake, UT(ut99 ftw), tribes. But those games have a much different TTK, and general gameplay style. They twitch, AND movement based shooters. I don't see SOE changing their shooter style from modern military shooter, to that of arena style. Thats why i mentioned Counter strike and Day of Defeat which planetside 2 is closer to imo when it comes to the style of fps it is.
I understand, but I think simply changing the weapons will change the gameplay enough. We don't need to alter the game into a movement-oriented shooter in order for more unique weapons to arise. There are also the issues of how often cover is used in PS... sometimes it makes me feel like I'm playing World of Tanks. That's not a problem, but it restricts the rise of arena-type or Tribes-type gameplay enough for me to feel safe giving Heavy Assault a spinfusor or equivalent.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-13 at 03:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion