Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums) - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Computer Required.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-11, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Re: Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums)

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I've been pushing for BF to go MMOFPS for as long as I can remember.

At this point it's more what I DON'T want from BAttlefield than what I do.

I know one thing from BF2 that would be awesome - if you could give custom names to your squads...all sorts of naughty names...Stardouser's Bonejumpers...that would be awesome.
Been reading this whole thread and first Welcome to PSU, Second I think you will enjoy the vast continents planetside has to offer. at one moment you may be out doing some solo sniping but then your outfit logs in, and since you had been keeping track of the combat for the past hour you have noticed no ones guarding that rear door. Gather up your outfit grab a galaxy or sunder (ground troop transport) and head on over to that back door and try to sneek in and really make the difference in the battle. Or if you want Ignore what you noticed and try and snatch some resource node that isn't well protected.

This game is really tailored to Tactics though Ill be the first to admit we can have some vary large zergs (people who just go to one area because its the next in the line of sight) but higgby seems to think that wont be as much of an issue since there adding in resources and missions.
Old 2012-03-11, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Good to hear we may get an extra stick to retain some features: the changes are NOT needed to appeal to at least part of the target populace masses.

Might be interesting to poll the BF3 playerbase in the non-official forums about such features now and then as well. mind, you can still play PlanetSide 1 and see what it was like to some extend. Otherwise I would recommend youtube. Loads of videos about outfit coordinated strikes.
I'd advise to not play PS1 to find out what it was like. It's pretty zergy now but in the old days with large pops it was incredible.

On gal drops, I'd say there were 2 types. Those designed to overwhelm the enemy and to win and those designed to disrupt.

We often did a gal drop to disrupt. Essentially if you empire is attacking a base but not making progress we would load up 1/2 gals and fly over the battle-line to take a key point, such as spawnroom or CC. This would force the enemy to turn-around and look behind them.
We wouldn't expect to win but the disrupt would p0ften allow the rest of out empire to advance into the base courtyard and win from that position.

I guess from what I have seen from ps2 this tactic would still be viable.

Last edited by ringring; 2012-03-11 at 06:25 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I'd advise to not play PS1 to find out what it was like. It's pretty zergy now but in the old days with large pops it was incredible.
Pops are too low really. I hope PlanetSide 1 will be incorporated in a full premium PS2 plan though.
Old 2012-03-11, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Pops are too low really. I hope PlanetSide 1 will be incorporated in a full premium PS2 plan though.
I heavily doubt they will keep PS1 up after PS2 comes. I doubt even the most hardcore PS1 fans could pay for the upkeep costs and with even further reduced playerbase it's not even that much worth playing.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-11, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I heavily doubt they will keep PS1 up after PS2 comes. I doubt even the most hardcore PS1 fans could pay for the upkeep costs and with even further reduced playerbase it's not even that much worth playing.
PS2 premium costs. Upkeep for a server won't be that much then.
Old 2012-03-11, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Coreldan
Colonel

I wouldnt funnel revenue from PS2 to a game that has no future whatsoever and probably sub-30 players playing it

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-11, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Figment
Lieutenant General

Well if I could get PS1 in a $7 premium sub for PS2 as an extra, over say a $5 sub, I'd get the $7 myself really (basing this premium rate off of DCUO).
Old 2012-03-11, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
yonman
Corporal

Just wanted to add to the above - PS ruined me for other games for life. I'm afraid nothing can really compare a multiple-galaxies hot drop into a red alert base with 2 minutes left on the clock. Talk about adrenaline

Knowing that these two minutes are the culmination of an entire 2 or 3 hours of fighting between hundreds of players and being that linch-pin on the last ditch effort to turn the tide ... it's epic on a different scale. A scale that is utterly out of reach for any 16vs16 players arena game. Or any single player game for that matter - regardless of its scripted actions and cut scenes. Knowing that the losers are real life people and not just a spawned instance of some AI makes victory that much sweeter and defeat that much more driving to vengeance.

So yeah ... these past 8 years you've been wasting your time on *games*. It's time to graduate to something a little more ... serious

Last edited by yonman; 2012-03-11 at 06:46 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by yonman View Post
Just wanted to add to the above - PS ruined me for other games for life. I'm afraid nothing can really compare a multiple-galaxies hot drop into a red alert base with 2 minutes left on the clock. Talk about adrenaline

Knowing that these two minutes are the culmination of an entire 2 or 3 hours of fighting between hundreds of players and being that linch-pin on the last ditch effort to turn the tide ... it's epic on a different scale. A scale that is utterly out of reach for any 16vs16 players arena game. Or any single player game for that matter - regardless of its scripted actions and cut scenes. Knowing that the losers are real life people and not just a spawned instance of some AI makes victory that much sweeter and defeat that much more driving to vengeance.

So yeah ... these past 8 years you've been wasting your time on *games*. It's time to graduate to something a little more ... serious
2 minutes left on what clock? Is that a metaphor for something or is there actually a clock of some kind? Probably a dumb question but it's the first I've ever heard that...
Old 2012-03-11, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
megamold
Second Lieutenant

2 minutes left on what clock? Is that a metaphor for something or is there actually a clock of some kind? Probably a dumb question but it's the first I've ever heard that...
yeah hacking a facility took some time, you had to defend the base while this was going.
so you could undertake a counteroffensive to take back that base before the hack had gone trough.
meaning you only had like 5 minutes to get to the console before the base would turn, some intense moments indeed.

but i doubt those long hack timers will be in ps2 ( atleast not in the ps1 style ) because they were one of the main reasons gameplay would slow to a crawl with lots of downtime as a result

waiting 15minutes for the hack to go trough when the base is uncontested was really boring
Old 2012-03-11, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Once a base was hacked it took 15 minutes for it to change possession. This sometimes created unique battles, but usually resulted in a lot of people just waiting around with only friendlies to shoot for a while. If the generator and spawn tubes where destroyed the only hope of the defending team re-securing is usually by a Gal drop, right on top of the base.

There where also LLU (Latic Logic Unit) bases like CTF where once hacked you had to take this module to another base to cap it.

In PS1 every base was linked to others. So you had to capture them in succession, you couldn't just go to the middle of a continent and cap a base (unless the power went neutral, you powered it up, and hacked it).

But in PS2 the time it takes to capture one of the hex territories is increased depending on how much joining territories you have. So going behind enemy lines won't be impossible, just harder/longer.

and I can't tell you how many times I've started flying away from a hacked base after waiting 10 minutes, and only a couple left. As I get out of range of the base I see it was re-secured, I turn around and arrive to like 3 enemy AA MAXs, 2 squads of infantry, and 2 Gals soaring past the base.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-11 at 10:30 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Crator
Major General

In PS1, each base type had it's own unique design. Some designs had the control console (CC, The object you had to get to in order to actually put a hack on a base) at the top of the base, others had it in the middle, while others had it at the bottom. The spawn rooms in each base were on the middle floors. So naturally, the bases that had spawns in middle and CC at bottom were harder to take.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Stardouser
Colonel

One of the things we discuss over at Mordor is the 3D spotting and killcam in BF3, which Mordor at least is firmly against. Now, this is a futuristic game, so I won't be surprised if it has a 3D spotting system...does it?

As for killcam, I know it isn't finalized as to whether it has one, but does killcam really matter in huge engagements? It matters more when you're trying to sneak in or in smaller size battles, right?
Old 2012-03-11, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
megamold
Second Lieutenant

spotting is a good addition to ps2 imho, i allways tought it was a real pain when someone was yelling "sniper on the ridge!!!!!!"

what goddamn ridge man? wth are you talking about? we are in a forest !

spotting is just a good replacement for the good old "hey look over there *point finger*" wich only works IRL
its mostly usefull in the medium-long range combat scenarios where enemys are harder to see
in CQC theres not much added by it

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
MyMeatStick
Sergeant

One of the things we discuss over at Mordor is the 3D spotting and killcam in BF3, which Mordor at least is firmly against. Now, this is a futuristic game, so I won't be surprised if it has a 3D spotting system...does it?

As for killcam, I know it isn't finalized as to whether it has one, but does killcam really matter in huge engagements? It matters more when you're trying to sneak in or in smaller size battles, right?
Hello fellow mordor person, welcome to the hype train. Toot toot.

Kill cams are being replaced with an informational screen apparently, Spotting looks like its going to be a lot less invasive in PS2 compared to BF3.

Time and communication with the devs will tell
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion