Why this game needs old bitter vets - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The peanutbutter to your jelly
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Irish
Private

Why this game needs old bitter vets

From the footage i have seen recently including one that had the VOIP of the players playing, more importantly how they were handling situations and reacting/nerd raging to certain in game events. i noticed that this game is going to be consumed with the accepted norm of current fps mentality. harassment, trolling, profanity, racism....add a F2P model with unlimited account creation possibility = a total recipe for disaster. i have read through the posts regarding the concerns about F2P already which are all mainly valid.

This game is going to heavily rely on old bitter vets, to renew old tactics and make them the accepted norm.

i watched a liberator pilot land his lib to repair, and get flamed by the gunner for taking to long, endless flame w/ harrasment.
this is the instant gratification "modern" fps gamers are used to.

i hope that with the overwhelming experience from vets, and large skilled outfits, our initial tactics and strategy set firm the foundation that made planetside 1 so great.

the opportunity to set the standard right off the bat is available to all of us. lets make it a mature experience, very much opposite of how LOL is currently. (just my example of the worst gaming community i have ever seen)
Old 2012-07-18, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aerothorn
Private

Re: Why this game needs old bitter vets

I agree that the onus will be on vets to be community leaders. That said, it will be important to minimize the bitterness during active play. Chewing out new players not used to Planetside's tactical complexity and somewhat slower pace isn't going to make things better, it will just piss them off.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Get to know some people so you dont have to play with randoms all the time. Should decrease the amount of harassment you get.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sephirex
Major

Yes, a lot of these arena shooter players we're going to get aren't going to be used to a community. It will be interesting to see how that changes things.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Minimizing bitterness is good, but if someone really does get mad at you for taking to long to fix the plane while they sit in the gunners seat its probably acceptable to turn the bitterness up to 11 at that moment. Actually just fly out of bounds or over water and dump them assuming that still works.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-07-18 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SleepyZombie
Corporal

Regardless of what is on the veterans shoulders to kinda create the community for this game trolling flaming and general douche baggery is going to be prevalent.

I am a ps1 vet and I plan on leading and commanding my group of misfits and trolls and keeping them from stressing newer players out with there very littler tolerance.

However it is going to take an even larger effort on the newer guys to come into this game and understand that there are tactics the vets use that take complete understanding and cooperation to work. I think this will be very frustrating for the newer guys that get left out of the loop because they don't understand.

I think it will take a larger effort on the new guys to have the tolerance to let a community grow and not turn it into a veterans are bitter stuck up elitist jerks war and vise versa.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The correct response would have been "Fine. We'll pull another one" and then blow up the lib while the jackass was still in it.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Logon
Private

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
Minimizing bitterness is good, but if someone really does get mad at you for taking to long to fix the plane while they sit in the gunners seat its probably acceptable to turn the bitterness up to 11 at that moment. Actually just fly out of bounds or over water and dump them assuming that still works.
I really hope the lock mechanic makes a return
Old 2012-07-18, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SleepyZombie
Corporal

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
The correct response would have been "Fine. We'll pull another one" and then blow up the lib while the jackass was still in it.
Personally I would of found a mountain in the middle of nowhere and left him to fend for him self. Spend 10-15mins walking back.... or kill your self. Seems like justice to me
Old 2012-07-18, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
I agree that the onus will be on vets to be community leaders. That said, it will be important to minimize the bitterness during active play. Chewing out new players not used to Planetside's tactical complexity and somewhat slower pace isn't going to make things better, it will just piss them off.
Unfortunately I think we're going to see a lot of this. Despite what some may think, most veterans from PS1 were happy rays of sunshine. A lot of them were some of the most controlling and condescending assholes I've ever had the displeasure of playing with.

I don't think PS2 will exactly similar to PS1, but I think it will be similar enough to the point where veterans from the first game will have an edge terms of what needs to be done strategically. I think there's going to be a lot of bitter hate from the veterans of the first game coming down on the CoD/BF players that won't know what's going on.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-18, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
james
Sergeant Major

being bitter will just destroy the community. There is a reason why rts games stay small, its full of stuck up snobs who think they are best. You need to welcome in new players.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SleepyZombie
Corporal

Originally Posted by james View Post
being bitter will just destroy the community. There is a reason why rts games stay small, its full of stuck up snobs who think they are best. You need to welcome in new players.
I love new players! Just not ones who try to change a game into the image of a previous game they feel planetside 2 should be more like
Old 2012-07-18, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by SleepyZombie View Post
I love new players! Just not ones who try to change a game into the image of a previous game they feel planetside 2 should be more like
Good point. Actually, I think I've agreed with every post of yours I've ever read. Nice to have someone well spoken around here.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SleepyZombie
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Good point. Actually, I think I've agreed with every post of yours I've ever read. Nice to have someone well spoken around here.
Hey same here buddy!
Old 2012-07-18, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ZaBa
Corporal

Hang on, let me go smoke a pack of cigarillos, I need to get in character. Can't play the grizzled vet without a voice like a cement mixer, right?

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
I don't think PS2 will exactly similar to PS1, but I think it will be similar enough to the point where veterans from the first game will have an edge terms of what needs to be done strategically. I think there's going to be a lot of bitter hate from the veterans of the first game coming down on the CoD/BF players that won't know what's going on.
I won't mind that so much as what I'm expecting; vets getting mad that the game itself is wrong because X tactic doesn't work the way it used to, or is completely irrelevant due to fundamental gameplay differences.

I'm sure plenty of strategic skills will carry over, but it feels like a lot of people are [incorrectly] assuming they'll instantly know what's up with in-the-weeds tactics just because the names of a lot of things are the same, which will generate significant grief among those for whom this isn't the case.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I honestly hope I'm wrong either way. Could do without a beta full of people demanding the game be made more like PS1.

Originally Posted by SleepyZombie View Post
To sum up what I just said:

I love old players! Just not ones who try to change a game into the image of a previous game they feel planetside 2 should be more like (i.e.: planetside 1)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion