Why this game needs old bitter vets - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: OMG! You killed Hamma! Bastards!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-20, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Mister Morden
Private

Re: Why this game needs old bitter vets

the problem is that there are some vets that just want a ps1 with better graphics and some slightly improvements, so their opinions are a bit static.
Old 2012-07-20, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Firearms
Sergeant

It's good to know that the vets will be sorting out all the piss poor FPS players. It will allow them to take the moral high ground instead of whining about BF players using their 10 years of experience in single manned tanks, or bailing with a launcher.....
Old 2012-07-20, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Airanuva View Post
TL;DR: I'm new to the game, and won't follow someone who is rude like a bitter veteran. I'll follow someone who is more willing to help.
Come to the Terran Republic. You'll be a happy man.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SleepyZombie View Post
Regardless of what is on the veterans shoulders to kinda create the community for this game trolling flaming and general douche baggery is going to be prevalent.
ps1 had more than its fair share of veteran douche bags, trolling and flaming over the years

ps2 will add to this with new blood within the ranks I'm sure.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Before I start rolling the dice, let me put on my robe and wizard hat.

Personally, I think both 'camps' will be in for a rude awakening. The adhd fps kids and the socalled PS1 vets will both be thrust into a war that doesn't cater to either and will be forced to adapt or die.

Old 2012-07-20, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
CutterJohn
Colonel

Need vets? No. Of course not. There were no vets for PS1. Tactics were figured out.

Vets are not special. Most of them didn't even use any tactics, much less fancy ones. All those zerglings that people were constantly complaining about? Yeah, those are vets too.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Need vets? No. Of course not. There were no vets for PS1. Tactics were figured out.

Vets are not special. Most of them didn't even use any tactics, much less fancy ones. All those zerglings that people were constantly complaining about? Yeah, those are vets too.
The problem isn't the need for vets necessarily.... it's the cultural difference of gamers. Planetside is a different game than is out there and takes getting used to. Vets have spent their time in PS1 and gotten used to it, but are also from a time when gamers had a LOT more patience. Hell, most of us had to use our LUNGS to get a game to work.

Today, I've seen the new generation thinking the world revolves around them, both time and space. They want full refunds for games that release a day late, think that game design is magic and can be done with ease, and otherwise beleive that every game should be like the first game they played. They never heard the word "tactics" and think strategy involves planning how many times you are going to teabag a corpse.

Vets are needed to get new players into the idea that patience means more action. That waiting an extra second scores an extra kill, and that repairing your vehicle is important. Vets are needed to lead outfits from experience and organize new players to work together wit hthe old. With a vet, you don't have anyone with a standing idea on many of the game tactics, it's our job to share these, so that in the first year, every new player becomes a "vet" as well.

Really, without us, it's like starting a war without any officers and sending in a wave of untaught privates toward each other. We have the knowledge... we know the tactics, and we have planned our strategies. It's all about passing it on to the new generation so we all become the same generation.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
CutterJohn
Colonel

I think someone has an overinflated sense of self importance. They'll manage. Like all who grow older, you give the younger generation far to little credit.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I think someone has an overinflated sense of self importance. They'll manage. Like all who grow older, you give the younger generation far to little credit.
It's not about what the younger generation is capable of, it's about what they've been exposed to. They haven't played PS1 or any game with such a great amount of tactics, therefore, they haven't had a chance to learn. The first few months is going to be old Vets leading the good squads and the new guys learning how the tactics work from the older vets.

Half the new guys watching PS2 still don't get that it works in such a massive way, they're still confused on what we mean by thousands of players, because they've never seen it. Vets gotta show them the ropes or it'll take em longer to figure tactics and strategy out. Speeds the game to 100% tactics at the start instead of it taking months to reach that stage.

Call it "overinflated self importance" if you want, I call it mentoring and passing on the torch.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
We have the knowledge... we know the tactics, and we have planned our strategies. It's all about passing it on to the new generation so we all become the same generation.
Sorry to burst this bubble you are in but even the developers dont know what the tactics/strategies are yet. They are waiting for beta to see what grows/works etc. The whole resource thing on paper might be a great idea, but it could turn out to be a turd and they rethink it. In ps1 there was no lattice on release, just 1 example.

Everyone is welcome, and the devs appreciate the input given from the ps1 community, but a lot of their inspiration for the new game is from references to other more modern games, and the need for new player input is just as important.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
rTekku
Sergeant

It's not about what the younger generation is capable of, it's about what they've been exposed to. They haven't played PS1 or any game with such a great amount of tactics, therefore, they haven't had a chance to learn. The first few months is going to be old Vets leading the good squads and the new guys learning how the tactics work from the older vets.

Half the new guys watching PS2 still don't get that it works in such a massive way, they're still confused on what we mean by thousands of players, because they've never seen it. Vets gotta show them the ropes or it'll take em longer to figure tactics and strategy out. Speeds the game to 100% tactics at the start instead of it taking months to reach that stage.

Call it "overinflated self importance" if you want, I call it mentoring and passing on the torch.
When you say "younger generations", exactly what ages are you referring too? Because there are plenty of gamers who are young and had to use their lungs to fix their games and have never played PS1. Myself included.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Sorry to burst this bubble you are in but even the developers dont know what the tactics/strategies are yet. They are waiting for beta to see what grows/works etc. The whole resource thing on paper might be a great idea, but it could turn out to be a turd and they rethink it. In ps1 there was no lattice on release, just 1 example.

Everyone is welcome, and the devs appreciate the input given from the ps1 community, but a lot of their inspiration for the new game is from references to other more modern games, and the need for new player input is just as important.
That's a higher strategic scale that I'm talking about. I'm talking about the tactics we know from PS1 that won't change that much. Knowing how to organize a squad with different vehicles, Galaxy drops, using infantry with MAX's inside facilities, ect. Squad and combat tactics. These new guys don't understand squad leadership because they never needed it. Most games are about you and you alone, occassional teamwork. We know the concept of organizing with leadership, and they will probably need a helping hand to learn it. They just don't have that much exposure yet.

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
When you say "younger generations", exactly what ages are you referring too? Because there are plenty of gamers who are young and had to use their lungs to fix their games and have never played PS1. Myself included.
A rather large portion of FPS gamers only stick to COD and/or Halo. It's rather a frightening sight. And by younger generation, I mean people who were too young when PS1 came out and missed it. This is anywhere from 14-20 at the current time.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-07-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Emperor
Corporal

The amount of generalizations Zekeen is putting forth is thick enough to cut with a force blade.

They...beleive that every game should be like the first game they played
The irony here is strong.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Revanmug
Sergeant

That's a higher strategic scale that I'm talking about. I'm talking about the tactics we know from PS1 that won't change that much. Knowing how to organize a squad with different vehicles, Galaxy drops, using infantry with MAX's inside facilities, ect. Squad and combat tactics. These new guys don't understand squad leadership because they never needed it. Most games are about you and you alone, occassional teamwork. We know the concept of organizing with leadership, and they will probably need a helping hand to learn it. They just don't have that much exposure yet.

A rather large portion of FPS gamers only stick to COD and/or Halo. It's rather a frightening sight.
You are pretty retard if you put "not needed" with "unable to understand". And if some people don't like to group, you are not going to change their taste. Problem with that?
Old 2012-07-20, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

ya but scumbag ahdh kiddies probably won't last long in the veteran outfits who know how to attack noobs. they will get cast out pretty quick with the limited outfit sizes. which is why i think this limit is good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion